swofford-acc-gor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

swofford-acc-gor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is about the fifth time I've seen this and it makes me wonder how many people have spent any time in the business world.

The ACC loses a member, presence in a major media market and weakens its image as it now is absolutely on of the prey and they warrant a better contract from ESPN?

I should go to my boss and tell him I can only put in 85% of the hours I have been working so he needs to give me a raise.

Your boss thinks it would cost him double what he's paying you, all in, to replace you. You tell him you need to cut back hours 5% and you also need a 10% raise. Obviously your boss won't be pleased, but if he determines he will lose your services if he doesn't say yes, it's still in his interests to accomodate you.

Right now, the ACC contract is way below market. It is not absurd to think that ESPN will pay more to keep the conference from falling apart. OEMs give suppliers price increases when they think they have squeezed so tightly that the supplier will go bankrupt if they don't

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
This is about the fifth time I've seen this and it makes me wonder how many people have spent any time in the business world.

The ACC loses a member, presence in a major media market and weakens its image as it now is absolutely on of the prey and they warrant a better contract from ESPN?

I should go to my boss and tell him I can only put in 85% of the hours I have been working so he needs to give me a raise.

acc would add more cash for a gor signed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Exactly this. Unless the Ten is going to mke PSU and its state give us back the part of Northeastern PA they stole from us in the 18th century, to heck with them.
I know. At least Ohio still pays us (albeit something like $15,00 per year) for the Western Reserve.

The only reason we lost that land (when congress intervened to stop the Yankee-Pennamite wars) was because as the (disputed) land was initially ours per King George (pre-revolution) our claim was viewed as from the wrong side. Unfortunately the same King ruled against us vs New York for most of Westchester and nearly all of Long Island. The same method of determining which state owned the land didn't follow in those cases.

If the state of Pennsylvania promises us a quota of four star HS football players each year (I'll ask for six but settle for five) I'll call it even.

Reaction Score

I am just going by the markets the ACC is going to have a presence in. One question, why did the ACC sign a long term deal paying 17.5 mil per when they are going to have access to so many large media markets? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Reaction Score
Right now, the ACC contract is way below market. It is not absurd to think that ESPN will pay more to keep the conference from falling apart.
Here you go, FfldCntyFan. At least someone sees what I see.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

My (new) boss came to me, told me I was underpaid and gave me a raise. He knew that at my current rate I could jump to a consulting company and pull in a 30% raise (if I could stomach extra travel). With the raise, I'm happy enough that I'm not interested in looking for opportunities outside my company because any monetary benefit would be countered by a longer commute or travel requirements. I consider that a rough equivalent in the business world.

If the ACC blows up, ESPN has the potential to lose a lot of programming down the road. They already only have pieces of the other conferences and Fox is beginning to flex some muscle with the B12/PAC combo as well as CBS with the SEC. If NBC enters the fray, ESPN could be in a major fight to broadcast quality college sports.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Depends upon what it says. We have done well selling product that for most schools have no value, for example woman's basketball.
B12 has a GOR for tier 1 and tier 2 only. Their member schools control a football game, a few basketball games and all olympic sports. I don't think WBB would be touched, neither would hockey (HE contract). The ACC would likely be modestly different because they've already signed away their tier 1/2/3 to ESPN, but it doesn't have to be since the TV contracts and GOR don't need to match.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't give a s*** if the ACC writes its bylaws in chalk and gives everyone in the conference an eraser - we gotta get the duck* out of the conference we're in.

Half the ACC could leave tomorrow and it is a bazillion times between that than the grease fire we're in now.

Some of you motherf***ers are pure duck*ing delusional. There's a very good chance that we're going to end up in a football conference where our closest rival will ultimately be UMass.

We were in a lot of trouble - now, we're on the brink of actual disaster. If anyone thinks we can survive being boxed in by the ACC and Big Ten, they're nuts.

Thank you.

Besides, if we need to get out from under a GOR at some future date, all we have to do is call Oliver Luck at WVU. He's a master at extricating his school from contract provisions that he wrote himself.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So now we've moved past the BE dissolving into a thread on the dissolution of both the BE and the ACC.

(via TheRealDudeofWV)
Update:
UNC and Duke have decided to not let the ACC go down without a fight. They have scheduled a meeting next week to add UCONN & Louisville and force a grant-of-rights. They have conceded that UVA, GT, FSU and Clemson will leave but will fight to keep NC. State which is bad news for the Big 12.

Also word from the Big 12 is that the conference has agreed to expand at least to 12 and will go to 16 if there are schools available that add value. All the Big 12 presidents and coaches are on board with expansion and want it to happen quickly. The Big 12 is currently discussing inviting UL to head off the ACC. UL may actually be the glue that keeps NC State, Miami and perhaps even Clemson in the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom