Swin interview on the W | The Boneyard

Swin interview on the W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hadn't heard about the kidney cancer either. I had the same thing less than a year before Swin. Terrifying but the prognosis is excellent, probably even better in Swin's case where they caught it before any symptoms developed. Also, almost always handled with surgery alone, no chemo or radiation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm in good company. I had a DaVinci robot-assisted laparoscopic partial nephrectomy for a golf-ball sized tumor atop my left kidney in May 2006. I too feel fortunate.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite Huskies and one of my favorite Boneyarders! Who knew? And all three of us in the space of about fifteen months or so.

In my case the tumor was the size of a baseball. radical nephrectomy with a full incision.

About two weeks after diagnosis I had an MRI that showed spots on my liver. My urologist thought the cancer had spread. I had an ultrasound to check out the spots and as I was lying there the radiologist checked out each spot, eventually declaring each one negative. Once he opined on the fifth and final spot I was home free. After 48 hours thinking my four yr old was about to lose his Dad, everything else including surgery was a breeze. But I'm always cognizant how fortunate I was not to have had chemo or radiation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the compliment.

Keep up the good work. I jokingly say that I now have 1.85 kidneys.

I know 2 others who had radical nephrectomies: A woman not yet 30 in Atlanta and a mid-50s former colleague. The woman, like us, is doing fine. The former colleague was less fortunate and passed away last month at 58 or 59 from the cancer having spread.

I also had to deal with prostate cancer at about the same time. I opted for brachytherapy (radioactive seeding) using a patented template and a 3-D CT scan machine for accurate placement of over 100 seeds.

I had good care and good fortune twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog