Swin Cash traded to Chicago per the Chicago Tribune | The Boneyard

Swin Cash traded to Chicago per the Chicago Tribune

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Tribune just posted an article stating that Swin and Willingham were traded to Chicago for the 2nd pick in the draft. Story has quotes from Pokey Chatman so it looks official. It will be interesting to see how Swin handles this after agreeing to a contract extension in Seattle before last season, but this may fall in the category of too good for Seattle to pass up. This seems like a reckless move by the Sky just when they may have finally been headed in a decent direction.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
WOOHOO!!!! And word here in Chicago is Pokey is not done!!!!! Not sure what else she is wanting!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Who is the second pick in the draft likely to be? Nneka will be #1. The drop-off after that projects to be steep. EDD has eligibility, Griner will be a senior, so will Diggins, Sims will be a junior, and those are your AP AAs. Are there any foreign players projected to enter the draft, a la Liz Cambage?

Reaction Score
Nope, not off the top of my head.

You're looking at the Miami kids, Glory Johnson & Stricklen, that type of player.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Do you think EDD will play ProBall? Any word on that? Danny?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would expect Shekinna Stricklen to be the #2 selection. She doesn't have Swin's Olympic and big-game experience, but she does offer more size and strength, obviously more youth, and perhaps more of an outside threat than Swin. Seattle is a fairly mature team that needs to get younger; Chicago is a young team that needs some experience and some scoring and rebounding in the front court from someone other than Sylvia Fowles. I think it makes sense for both teams.

One thing that Shekinna won't do in Chicago is to be their point guard!

Reaction Score
From the Storm web site:

“We’ve spent a lot of time analyzing our current needs and what it will take to win another championship. We believe this trade positions us for short- and long-term success by adding a lottery pick and creating a substantial amount of salary cap space for free agency,” said Storm Head Coach and General Manager Brian Agler. “We are very thankful for Swin and Le’coe’s contributions to the success of the Storm, including the critical roles they played in helping us win the 2010 championship.”

Looks like money was part of the decision.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It saddens me to break up Swin/Sue. I only hope Swin is OK with it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Very surprising. Seattle has gone from 3 Huskies to only 1.

Money does look like a factor. So does long run planning. But Sue is likely within 3-5 years of the end of her career, and LJ may too.

Other than salary, going after the 2nd pick this year makes no sense unless they know that EDD is coming out. From Elena's perspective, playing with Sue and Lauren would be appealing. But Seattle is a long way from home. And L.A., also a distant location, might pick Elena over Nneka.

My guess is that Elena plays 4 years at Delaware.

Reaction Score
Who is the second pick in the draft likely to be? Nneka will be #1. The drop-off after that projects to be steep. EDD has eligibility, Griner will be a senior, so will Diggins, Sims will be a junior, and those are your AP AAs. Are there any foreign players projected to enter the draft, a la Liz Cambage?
Speaking of which, any thoughts about when/if Tiff will go? Will she be a late Charde-like pick? Thinking of that slash move the other night, hard to believe teams won't recognize that kind of talent.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'm not understanding this deal from the Storm's perspective, unless they really believe EDD is going pro, which I think is extremely unlikely. The #2 pick without EDD in the draft has very little value this year, relative to most years, including next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There are "nice" players at 2, but not guaranteed impact players--unlike the next couple of years. My guess would be Johnson or Stricklen.

I think Tiff's status is indeterminate. If she is consistent this year and UConn is successful, she could be a top 5. She will have had UConn coaching, practice, and competition for 4 years. Those are invaluable.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Tiff is a hard one. Not sure where she would land at this point. Nneka is the likely first pick at this point. Surprised the Storm didnt ask for Vandersloot. She is from that area and Sue would be an awesome mentor for her.

With that said, Vandersloot with Fowles and Cash could be dangerous group after they gel. I am liking what Pokey is doing and what she see's as the future of the Sky.

As far as the top picks, depends on EDD. IF she turns pro she could be #1. IT's possible.
Besides her and Nneka, I'm not sure. I would take Glory Johnson over Stricklen, but then again it depends on what you need. Johnson is an rebounding machine and an athlete. Courtney Hurt out of VCU could also get some look. Shenise Johnson? Sam Prahalis?

There are some options out there, just going to depend on what a team needs.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
EDD on the West coast? Not going to happen, in my view. Unless her family is ready to move with her.

Reaction Score
I'll be talking to Brian Agler today, after talking to Pokey Chatman yesterday.

They will be on Dishin & Swishin's podcast this Thursday on hoopfeed.com

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think Shekina and especially Glory have a chance to be significantly better pro players than they were in college. Both are extremely talented, but have played for a program that's been in a transitional period for a bit. Player development seems ot have suffered. Joining a veteran team like the Storm might be just what they need.

Reaction Score
If EDD comes out I think she may actually be the prize. Neka is going to be a very good 4, but unlike college there will always be a much taller center and other 4's who can match her size. In college teams just can't match up. EDD will be a matchup nightmare because she has the height of a center with 2 guard skills and can shoot the 3. In the pros she won't see a triple team. Remember, I believe she led team USA in scoring and rebounds. EDD and a healthy Lauren Jackson who can also shoot outside = fun for Sue Bird. They will be very good. Chicago is foolish not to let this team grow up together. They have a center, a pg and adding EDD would give them a pure scorer. Find a veteran in free agency or trade another player for a veteran role player, but never give up pick #2 for someone who may not be a star when the team is ready to contend.

The Tribune just posted an article stating that Swin and Willingham were traded to Chicago for the 2nd pick in the draft. Story has quotes from Pokey Chatman so it looks official. It will be interesting to see how Swin handles this after agreeing to a contract extension in Seattle before last season, but this may fall in the category of too good for Seattle to pass up. This seems like a reckless move by the Sky just when they may have finally been headed in a decent direction.
f

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
EDD has grown up and matured, she might not have the same issues that she did when she was 18. Plus, the season isn't all year so she wouldn't have to live there permenantly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
EDD has grown up and matured, she might not have the same issues that she did when she was 18. Plus, the season isn't all year so she wouldn't have to live there permenantly.
You mean when she was 17. She would not have been 18 until September after leaving UConn in July. People forget how young she truly was.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
You mean when she was 17. She would not have been 18 until September after leaving UConn in July. People forget how young she truly was.
True. That is really young. I hope she continues playing at the next level, she is a real talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom