Swin Cash: Hall of Fame is Only the Beginning | The Boneyard

Swin Cash: Hall of Fame is Only the Beginning

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The Hall of Fame is only the beginning for New Orleans Pelicans executive Swin Cash
Andrew Lopez (ESPN)
September 7, 2022

Since her playing career ended, Cash -- the two-time NCAA champion and All-American, three-time WNBA champion and four-time All-Star, and member of the WNBA's 20th and 25th anniversary teams -- has been wearing different hats.

As a mom to 1-year-old Syer and 5-year-old Saint, and the vice president of basketball operations for the Pelicans, Cash has juggled motherhood and breaking into the NBA executive world.

Throughout her career, Cash has set goals. She set out to achieve those goals as an All-American at McKeesport Area High School in her hometown of McKeesport, Pennsylvania, which is 15 miles southwest of Pittsburgh. She did so when she won national titles at UConn. And she did so during her 15-year WNBA career that also included a few championship rings.

Along the way, Cash became one of the highest-ranking women in the NBA. As she enters her fourth season in the Pelicans' front office, her latest goal is to make sure that this is only the beginning.

Swin Cash is still adding to her Hall of Fame resume

Reaction Score
The Hall of Fame is only the beginning for New Orleans Pelicans executive Swin Cash
Andrew Lopez (ESPN)
September 7, 2022

Since her playing career ended, Cash -- the two-time NCAA champion and All-American, three-time WNBA champion and four-time All-Star, and member of the WNBA's 20th and 25th anniversary teams -- has been wearing different hats.

As a mom to 1-year-old Syer and 5-year-old Saint, and the vice president of basketball operations for the Pelicans, Cash has juggled motherhood and breaking into the NBA executive world.

Throughout her career, Cash has set goals. She set out to achieve those goals as an All-American at McKeesport Area High School in her hometown of McKeesport, Pennsylvania, which is 15 miles southwest of Pittsburgh. She did so when she won national titles at UConn. And she did so during her 15-year WNBA career that also included a few championship rings.

Along the way, Cash became one of the highest-ranking women in the NBA. As she enters her fourth season in the Pelicans' front office, her latest goal is to make sure that this is only the beginning.

Swin Cash is still adding to her Hall of Fame resume
Swin Cash and nearly all on her UConn team Asia, Tamika, were undersized compared to today. None weighed anywhere near 190, I think. Swin had the most deer like running style. If you lost track of her in game you found her when she ran. Knee's high. She spoke beautifully almost poetically in tone and words.
\\

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
And 10 and 3.
That is at least 5 years out for #10 and maybe more for #3. You must be retired for a minimum of 5 years to be eligible. There are also some non active player/coaching requirements that was accomplished by the inductee to enhance basketball itself.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The HOF eligibility rules for players have changed in the past several years. Retired players are now eligible 3 years after retirement. I expect that Sue will be in the Class of 2025.

"To be considered for induction by a screening committee, a player, retired coach, or referee must be fully retired from that role for at least three full seasons.[12] The waiting period had originally been five years, but was changed to four years in December 2015,[13] and to three seasons in December 2017."

Here's a question for the board: If a player doesn't play for some years (say, 4), but doesn't officially retire, when will she be eligible? Would it be 3 years after announcing a retirement, or immediately after announcing her retirement if she had not played for 3 years or more? I'm thinking, obviously, about Maya.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The HOF eligibility rules for players have changed in the past several years. Retired players are now eligible 3 years after retirement. I expect that Sue will be in the Class of 2025.

"To be considered for induction by a screening committee, a player, retired coach, or referee must be fully retired from that role for at least three full seasons.[12] The waiting period had originally been five years, but was changed to four years in December 2015,[13] and to three seasons in December 2017."

Here's a question for the board: If a player doesn't play for some years (say, 4), but doesn't officially retire, when will she be eligible? Would it be 3 years after announcing a retirement, or immediately after announcing her retirement if she had not played for 3 years or more? I'm thinking, obviously, about Maya.
Thank you for the update on the induction process. I guess that it would be the portion that I put in bold print, but good question.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Are the rules different for coaches? Geno is in and Jim Calhoun was in while he was still coaching.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Are the rules different for coaches? Geno is in and Jim Calhoun was in while he was still coaching.

Yes, many coaches are still active. Check the link.

Reaction Score
I remember Geno saying, when he wanted to get under Swins’s skin, he would call her “Schwinn” (like the bike).

She is so deserving of all she has worked hard for.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She has always been a fav of mine. The Gazelle. And oh so classy, even though she's a bit of a funny devil.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom