Swimming in the hate | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Swimming in the hate

Reaction Score
Lol You drink and post?
I know it’s not USF but UCF hosted Gameday this year in both college football and college basketball (actually it was Houston for MBB) but UCF held up their end.
Those 2 schools have enrollment that approaches Arizona State.
Those brands are pretty well embedded into the collegiate sports lexicon.

1. UCF / USF were on the list of p5 expansion candidates exactly once - when the Big 12 cast a net that included every non-P5 FBS program under the sun. That is a far cry from “always”
2. UCF / USF has a brand in the same way that Zig Zag has a brand. The brand in the case of UCF / USF is southern community colleges for strippers and part-time djs.

Reaction Score
I noticed Temple fans haven't piled up on the hate train. Could it be because they played Big East football and wanted into the Big East for basketball for decades and they know what that name means on the East Coast? Something tells me the Cincinnati and USF fans also get this somewhat, but they're not getting asked to join the current BE.

I doubt anyone else would cannibalize football unless they were in a budgetary camel clutch. It’s not like the old big east is an option.

Reaction Score
1. UCF / USF were on the list of p5 expansion candidates exactly once - when the Big 12 cast a net that included every non-P5 FBS program under the sun. That is a far cry from “always”
2. UCF / USF has a brand in the same way that Zig Zag has a brand. The brand in the case of UCF / USF is southern community colleges for strippers and part-time djs.

Lol Carry on..

Reaction Score
Why are we allowing StunningSteve this place as a forum?

I’m not gonna effort a poll. Just get lost bud.

It’s not my intention to shake up your belief system. Take it easy.

Reaction Score
It’s not my intention to shake up your belief system. Take it easy.

Let me shake yours. Your school - and I’ve not paid attention to which it is - was drawing a half full basketball court for us at Home & we were playing in a half or less arena at yours. Our football crowds & season tickets dropped precipitously.

One or Two of the AAC might be promoted to P5 - your school gets screwed. This UCONN Fanbase has seen that 5 times. No ... 7 times. Good luck with that.

I was horrified when this report first came out. Now? I don’t believe the toilet flushing posts. I simply don’t think Independent is going to be night & day contrast to AAC. And trust me ... everyone knows we will, once again, fill the 19,000 Garden with nearly 50% yelling Huskies fans on Championship nights. Again. That makes us high.

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone else would cannibalize football unless they were in a budgetary camel clutch. It’s not like the old big east is an option.
You don't seem to get it. For the rest of the AAC, this TV contract is the bees knees. It's not for us. So we are taking our chances with the Big East, the bump we bring to that contract, and what we can get for football and tier 3. It will no doubt lead to more money and when you factor the reduced travel for Olympic sports, it's a no brainer.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna love watching that Memphis Penny thing blow up. That place is a cesspool.
The AAC members are still cashing big checks from 2014 until 2020
and smaller ones from 2016 until 2022
Discounting Louisville in 2013.whose long gone.
The remaining schools have won a about dozen NCAA tourney games
UConn has 7 of those wins.
Those were our down years to boot.
I expect had we remained the other teams in the league would be cashing more checks earned by us..
Other than Cinncy , Houston, and UCF has any other school earned a dime.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I hear the argument, and yes even Cal has trouble with half as many stars; as much as he should be reviled, we have to figure he’s a better coach, or if nothing more experienced, than Penny.

I don’t think they’ll get far in the tournament but I doubt even further that they’ll “implode”. However you don’t like to see that the kids are on a first-name basis with Penny. The ESPN article reporting their grad transfer, he referred to his coach as just “Penny”, and that’s who should be your most mature player. That does have AAU written all over it lol

Remember how mad Coach Reeves got when Salami called him "Kenny" when they were doubling with the daughters of the racist country club owner?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was that the year Leavitt had them at 2?

lol yeah their first collapse when included a loss to a mediocre uconn team.

usf is worthless.

they cant even define south.

C

Chief00

We had a bad run, mainly because KO came apart at seams. But we provided the conference with its highest point as well, the 2014 men's national championship. UCFs and Houston's NY6 bowls were nice, but that title really speaks to what the league thinks it could be, and they haven't really risen to the challenge of that.
The conference also got the 2014 run payout.

Reaction Score
You can't make the long term interest argument with anything pertaining to the AAC. Bottom line is that it's made up of schools who share almost nothing in common outside of having middling-ish football programs and athletic departments who's #1 goal is to *not* be in the AAC. No one wants to be in the conference and the first chance any of them get to enhance their prospects will be jumped at. It's a life raft in some ways, but you don't finish your trans Atlantic journey a few miles off launch in a lifeboat. There's zero long term viability so long as that's true.

Reaction Score
You can't make the long term interest argument with anything pertaining to the AAC. Bottom line is that it's made up of schools who share almost nothing in common outside of having middling-ish football programs and athletic departments who's #1 goal is to *not* be in the AAC. No one wants to be in the conference and the first chance any of them get to enhance their prospects will be jumped at. It's a life raft in some ways, but you don't finish your trans Atlantic journey a few miles off launch in a lifeboat. There's zero long term viability so long as that's true.

Probably where all the hate stems from: as you note the mission for every school in this conference is to not be in this conference. UConn accomplished this mission, their favorite school has not.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I suspect that most of the AAC ADs are fine with us leaving. It is a Southern focused league and we are the northern outlier. I bet they wouldn't be upset if Temple left too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I suspect that most of the AAC ADs are fine with us leaving. It is a Southern focused league and we are the northern outlier. I bet they wouldn't be upset if Temple left too.
Yep. I’m sure none would mind if Temple left and even Cincy too. It’s probably time for the AAC to “stabilize” around a southern identity.

If we do as well as we think we can do, I wouldn’t be shocked if Temple or Cincy followed our same path. A few things have to happen, but it’s certainly not out of the relm, especially if Cincy gets wind that they are never going to be part of the B12 or it’s possible remanent conference.

Reaction Score
I do wonder if the anger stems from concerns that it blows up the contract they have with ESPN, reduces their payouts, and, and this is a big if, can the AAC potentially not recoup any buyout fees from UConn due to a contract that left UConn in far worse financial shape than when we initially joined the league?
Listening to Benedict’s interview on Sirius yesterday and his assertion that it was really worth far less than the $7M that is cited is making me think this last point is valid and that a potential breach of contract may be fueling some of the anger from the AAC. They’re also losing a national brand. Yes, one that may have struggled but based on Wichita State’s words yesterday, they joined to play UConn, not Tulane and ECU.

There has been not one -- NOT ONE -- credible, or even rational, statement that the AAC is not entitled to its contractual exit fee from UConn. Just idiots throwing things out on anonymous message boards to idiots who, for whatever reason, feel the need to believe them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There has been not one -- NOT ONE -- credible, or even rational, statement that the AAC is not entitled to its contractual exit fee from UConn. Just idiots throwing things out on anonymous message boards to idiots who, for whatever reason, feel the need to believe them.
The negotiation, in my view, will be whether we need to pay more $10M to leave early. In that debate, the fact that Aresco negotiated away our Tier 3 rights, of which only UConn's had any significant value will come up as will that statements that we don't really bring any value to the league. Tough to say your damages exceed the state exit fee amount if you've made statements that we have no value.

Likewise the notion that ESPN will not reduce the American deal means that the individual schools would be paid more by virtue of UConn leaving. It's tough to say that they're damaged by our departure if they actually are making more money. Finally since the bulk of the media contract is due to football, our offer to continue to play in the American serves to mitigate damages. It's dismissal by Aresco hurts a claim for damages.

All these things put us in a position to leave early without additional cost. Not a sure thing by any means, but there are arguments. The more interesting question is how much does our interest in accrued bowl and NCAA tournament fees offset the $10M.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom