Sweet 16 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sweet 16

Reaction Score
ND?!
Oregon was en fuego in the opening rounds and now they'll be playing in front of a partisan crowd. ND is the #1 most at risk IMO.
I never saw ND getting out of this region.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy:
Oregon went for 88 and 101 in the first two rounds and was, as you put it, "en fuego."
ND scored 98 and 99, so it's safe to say they were doing the same.

And thanks to McGraw's Bench "Domerduck," who will be attending the regional, Oregon is -- at best -- a 7 1/2 hour drive from Spokane. I'm not saying the Dukcs won't have more fans there than any of the other teams (not saying much given where the other teams are coming from), but it won't be like playing on its home "treecourt."

This situaion is a good example of why MM took the Irish on a nearly 10-game road/neutral court road trip early in the season. It won't bother them. Plus, I think you'll see green shirts that have an Irish tint, as well. ;)

Wasnt just talking about points - was a sense that they were operating at a high level.

The top two #2 seeds going in were Baylor and Oregon, and both played like it last weekend, thereby suggesting that Lou & ND have the toughest road ahead. Louisville had an easier time in the opening rounds and will also be playing near home. In contrast, ND will be facing the most difficult crowd of the 3 #1s.

I think it's fair to say that ND has the most difficult obstacles of the #1 seeds.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
(with AP ranking)

MARCH 23 @LEXI
#3 Louisville vs #15 Stanford, 9 pm
#2 Baylor vs #13 Oregon St, 7 pm

MARCH 23 @KC
#4 Miss St vs #21 NC St, 7 pm
#8 Texas vs #9 UCLA, 9 pm

MARCH 24 @ ALBANY
#7 So Carolina vs - Buffalo, 11:30 AM
#1 UConn vs #20 Duke, 1:30 PM

MARCH 24 @ SPOKANE
#5 Notre Dame vs #14 Texas A&M,
4 PM
#6 Oregon vs - Central Michigan, 6 PM
Does anyone else see the problem with the second games start times? All are 2 hours after the 1st game start time. However, some games take almost two hours to play, especially if they mimic the men's game, and take 20 minutes to play the last two minutes in a close game, and then there is the 30 minute delay between games. So I would think the start times would be closer to 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours later. Of course this is probably only a problem for people that want to record a game and won't be there to actually start the recording, so...

Centerstream

Reaction Score
The UConn game is scheduled for 2PM in the DirecTV program guide.

Reaction Score
The UConn game is scheduled for 2PM in the DirecTV program guide.

And your point? The game starts 30 minutes after the So Carolina game. Period. If you want to believe that's 2:00, fine.
But please don't complain about ESPN if the game starts before then (because it could) and you miss the start.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Wasnt just talking about points - was a sense that they were operating at a high level.

The top two #2 seeds going in were Baylor and Oregon, and both played like it last weekend, thereby suggesting that Lou & ND have the toughest road ahead. Louisville had an easier time in the opening rounds and will also be playing near home. In contrast, ND will be facing the most difficult crowd of the 3 #1s.

I think it's fair to say that ND has the most difficult obstacles of the #1 seeds.

I also agree. Not saying Oregon will win, but Notre Dame is a good matchup for the Ducks overall. And, in this case, "partisan" is not limited to Oregon fans making what is a day-long drive from Eugene (and I think they will be well represented), but what is likely to be a Kelly Graves love fest, since he's returning to the home of a program--Gon-zaga--that he coached for more than a decade with great success.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
1. I think Baylor overwhelms Oregon ST with their size and wins easily
2. I think ND limits Carter and wins by 15-20
3. I think this game has all the makings of a great game because both teams match up pretty well with each other. In the end I think Texas pulls out a win due to their size.
4. I think Stanford makes this a lot closer than most think but Louisville pulls away late for a 10-15 pt win
5. I think MSU is due for a good game and I am not sold on NC St. MSU wins easily by 15-20

I also think Buffalo will give SC all they can handle but Wilson will be the deciding factor and SC will dominate the paint to win by 15-20

Central Michigan will also play Oregon tough but in the end Ionescu and Hebard will prove to be too much for the Chippewas.

Appreciate the analysis, but I gotta say I'll be very surprised if the favorite wins all 7 games mentioned. May happen and looking at each game individually it seems likely, but not common to see.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
And your point? The game starts 30 minutes after the So Carolina game. Period. If you want to believe that's 2:00, fine.
But please don't complain about ESPN if the game starts before then (because it could) and you miss the start.
My only point is what start time is scheduled according to (ESPN and) DirecTV. I never said that it was the actual game start time, did I?

Reaction Score
ND has the most difficult path? Maybe. But Louisville will have to beat Stanford (Tara always cooks up a game plan that makes things difficult) and Baylor. Not sure MSU has much trouble with NC State but Texas IMO is gonna beat them if they don't start playing better.

I've been waiting to see if teams can take advantage of ND's injuries all year. Besides UConn and Louisville, it hasn't happened. Perhaps A&M or Oregon is up to the task but underestimate the Muff at your own peril.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
(now with AP & Massey ranking)

MARCH 23 @LEXI
#2/#2 Baylor vs #13/#10 Oregon St*, 7 pm
#3/#5 Louisville vs #15/#11 Stanford, 9 pm

MARCH 23 @KC
#4/#3 Miss St vs #21/#13 NC St, 7 pm
#8/#7 Texas vs #9/#9 UCLA, 9 pm

MARCH 24 @ ALBANY
#7/#8 So Carolina vs -/#20 Buffalo*, 11:30 AM
#1/#1 UConn vs #20/#14 Duke*, 1:30 PM

MARCH 24 @ SPOKANE

#5/#4 Notre Dame vs #14/#15 Texas A&M, 4 pm
#6/#6 Oregon vs -/#12 Central Michigan*, 6 pm

* = seed upset

AP Top 20 teams eliminated
#10 Ohio St, #11 Fla St, #12 Tenn, #16 Maryland, #17 Mizzou, #18 Georgia, #19 USF

Only non-top-21 teams are the 2 MAC schools.

Remaining teams are all top 15 Massey, except #20 Buffalo

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Vowelguy:
Oregon went for 88 and 101 in the first two rounds and was, as you put it, "en fuego."
ND scored 98 and 99, so it's safe to say they were doing the same.

And thanks to McGraw's Bench "Domerduck," who will be attending the regional, Oregon is -- at best -- a 7 1/2 hour drive from Spokane. I'm not saying the Dukcs won't have more fans there than any of the other teams (not saying much given where the other teams are coming from), but it won't be like playing on its home "treecourt."

This situaion is a good example of why MM took the Irish on a nearly 10-game road/neutral court road trip early in the season. It won't bother them. Plus, I think you'll see green shirts that have an Irish tint, as well. ;)

Plenty of Duck fans will travel to Spokane. Also Spokane is a basketball crazy town, so there will be plenty of locals in attendance. Unless a few are still bitter about Graves leaving GU, they will overwhelmingly be rooting for Oregon. So yeah, the Ducks are going to be playing in front of a partisan crowd.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am a huge Duke fan this year. My apologies to all Duke followers. Duke should have had a top 16 seed.

In retrospect Im glad they didnt. Who knows who the teams in the pod would have been if Duke were a #4 seed......... Like I have said for a few weeks..... Athens is were I wanted Duke to be if they ended up as a 5 seed. In addition.... it gave the team a chance for further bonding only a weekend road trip like that can provide. Lastly.... the seniors memories of their final game in Cameron will forever be of a arse whipping of their most bitter rival in front of a sold out crowd :D

Reaction Score
In retrospect Im glad they didnt. Who knows who the teams in the pod would have been if Duke were a #4 seed.... Like I have said for a few weeks..... Athens is were I wanted Duke to be if they ended up as a 5 seed. In addition.... it gave the team a chance for further bonding only a weekend road trip like that can provide. Lastly.... the seniors memories of their final game in Cameron will forever be of a arse whipping of their most bitter rival in front of a sold out crowd :D
Funny you should mention that....I feel the same way about Oregon State. While I personally would have enjoyed watching the Beavers play two more home games (as a season ticket holder), it was best for this group of young players to prove to themselves they could win on the road. Their confidence is sky high right now. Whether they have the talent to beat Baylor, they believe they can beat Baylor. Not sure that would have been the case had they been hosting at home the first two games. I'm hoping for a quality game between UCONN & DUKE.

Reaction Score
Looking at starting times for Saturday. Uconn is slated for a 1:30 start. Won't it be more closer to 2:00 because there is a one half hour wait after the end of the first game?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Not sure Oregon State can beat Baylor, but a team who can shoot the 3-point shot well is definitely the recipe for success. Will take a lot of 3 points shots made to offset Baylor's efficiency in the paint.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else see the problem with the second games start times? All are 2 hours after the 1st game start time.

You are correct. There is a discrepancy in the bracket game times and ESPN3 game times. ESPN3 game times are all set at 2:30. Heads up everybody!

Reaction Score
1. I think Baylor overwhelms Oregon ST with their size and wins easily
2. I think ND limits Carter and wins by 15-20
3. I think this game has all the makings of a great game because both teams match up pretty well with each other. In the end I think Texas pulls out a win due to their size.
4. I think Stanford makes this a lot closer than most think but Louisville pulls away late for a 10-15 pt win
5. I think MSU is due for a good game and I am not sold on NC St. MSU wins easily by 15-20

I also think Buffalo will give SC all they can handle but Wilson will be the deciding factor and SC will dominate the paint to win by 15-20

Central Michigan will also play Oregon tough but in the end Ionescu and Hebard will prove to be too much for the Chippewas.

Agree with all except I sense a potential upset by Stanford over Louisville (and that would please me).

Reaction Score
ELITE 8

MARCH 25 @LEXI, NOON
#3/#3 Louisville (1) vs #13/#8 Oregon St (6)

MARCH 25 @KC, 730 PM
#4/#2 Miss St (1) vs #9/#7 UCLA (3)

MARCH 26 @ ALBANY, 7 PM
#1/#1 UConn (1) vs #7/#10 So Carolina (2)

MARCH 26 @ SPOKANE, 9 PM

#5/#4 Notre Dame (1) vs #6/#6 Oregon (2)

AP Top 20 teams eliminated
#2 Baylor, #8 Texas
#10 Ohio St, #11 Fla St, #12 Tenn, #16 MD, #17 Mizzou, #18 Georgia, #19 USF

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member