Survival Mode | The Boneyard

Survival Mode

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well imo there are a few reasons we lost and theyve all been mentioned in other threads.
(1) Lville shot over 53% from 3,
(2) Liv was a different player after she got 2 fouls
(3) LVille defense shut down Evina and Christyn and they couldnt find a way to score.

I dont know but I would have to guess the game plan was to have Liv up top because she is a good passer and can see over the defense and run the offense through her. Liv was a different player when she got 2 fouls and we were a different team when she was sitting on the bench with 2 fouls. Liv had to play cautious not to get called for another foul and lost her aggressiveness. Lville shut down Evina and Christyn. Evina was double teamed quite a bit and Christyn was pretty much handcuffed and couldnt penetrate because Lville packed in the middle. I also feel Caroline surprised Lville. They didnt expect her to be as good as she was. Evina I can understand has alot of responsibility as she was playing the point. I know she did for a while at Tenn but she is not a point guard. She is a very valuable asset to this team. When our point guard comes back Evina will be free to shoot and make plays.

Now looking at the UCLA game where UConn had 5 players in double figures. The difference between the UCLA game and this game is attributed to opponents defenses. Lville has good defense and UCLA is not as good on defense. With everything said we shouldve won this game and we didnt. I thought we played hard and fought hard but we didnt have enough players scoring. We had our chances to score which makes it even more frustrating. For that reason many of us are very disappointed. We are better then we showed even with all the injuries. I felt we werent moving the ball like UConn moves the ball and too many times Liv stood up top looking for someone to cut or pass to and no one was getting open. Why? We werent executing our offense?

Let me also say this. Amari and Piath arent ready for a close game like this. Amari is good and will be very good but right now shes not ready for a game like this. So we are down to 6-7 players non of which are guards. Some fans are talking about Azzi and Nika coming back and hoping theyre ready for the Marquette game. Marquette is pretty good. If they are 100% healthy and able to see minutes in the Marquette game, they most likely wont be at 100% to go for long strengths. The question is how long will it take for Nika and Azzi to be up to speed to play at their level and how many minutes can they play effectively? Even with them back we wont be where we want to be. Geno will have to work them in and at least it will give our starters a chance to rest. It will also give Evina a chance to play her normal position. Right now she playing out of position.

We're in a tuff spot right now. We're not scoring and were not playing up to our potential. Hopefully that will change with the holiday break. After the holiday break we may have more scorers and that may be because the teams we face will not play as tuff of a defense. If you think back to some of the remarks Geno has made over the past 4 games beginning with ND he knew exactly what he was saying and he knew exactly what was going on with this team. Now we are Paige-less and it shows.

We will be a better team because of this and already Dorka and Caroline have shown improvement and have shown us they are ready for the big games. When everybody gets back they may not start but they have earned their minutes and they will get their minutes. For the next couple of games we have to find a way to survive and win. With Azzi and Nika coming back at some point, it will be a big help. Over the next 2 months until we can get back to where we thought we would be we have to find a way to win, and hopefully in a couple of months Paige will be back 100% healthy and ready. Again we should've won yesterdays game and we all know why we didnt and so does Geno and thats a good thing.

Reaction Score
Well imo there are a few reasons we lost and theyve all been mentioned in other threads.
(1) Lville shot over 53% from 3,
(2) Liv was a different player after she got 2 fouls
(3) LVille defense shut down Evina and Christyn and they couldnt find a way to score.

I'm tired of reading all the reasons they lose games; please get back to me when we start to see some leadership and consistent clutch play from our seniors. They may well be great teammates and lovely young women, but they're the most disappointing UConn players that I can remember in many years.

Reaction Score
I felt like Louisville knew our offense as well as we did and when we ran it their defenders were right there with us and we didn't run it hard enough and stay with the required movement. Also this team shows no ability to ad lib and make a play when the offense breaks down.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

I think that your thread's title. survival mode is a bit too strong.
I know Geno thought we should have won this game...but we didn't

Our essentially one-man (woman) bench scored 4
Their 5 person bench scored 24...
We just did not have enough horses to get us over the finish line.
No dishonor in that.

It's going to be more of the same for a while as we gradually get back the walking wounded and coach-them-up to be a team...
And probably not quite the team that Geno anticipated he'd start with.

In a sense, I don't blame the seniors...They were and are a known quantity
And all the pre-season talk and hype is just that. Let's just stop there.

The future of UConn (this season) is Dorka and the kids...period.
And if health returns, and if a renewed sense of what wisdom Geno
can provide is more acceptable to his underlings...

Then UConn will be a very interesting team in late February and March.

In the meantime...No mashing of fingers

We're gonna lose some more (might) ; and it doesn't matter one bit.

Good for us, once in a while
To see how the rest of the world lives.

Happy holidays
From an upbeat, confident and enthusiastic MSF

Reaction Score
One thing I've noticed is that this team is stymied by intense defensive pressure - face guarding and full court pressure. Once someone picks up their dribble there's a lot of standing around. The season is how many games in now & this is still happening? Opponents watching film know exactly how to defend them.

Reaction Score
One thing I've noticed is that this team is stymied by intense defensive pressure - face guarding and full court pressure. Once someone picks up their dribble there's a lot of standing around. The season is how many games in now & this is still happening? Opponents watching film know exactly how to defend them.
That's a great observation. It's a lot of why, despite our advantage in the paint, we had a tough time feeding the post. I feel like they used to run a 1-4 set when they were being pressed like that to encourage back door cuts/screens. I saw CD make several back doors, but not as many from the rest of the team, and I don't remember seeing that set. Regardless, you are spot on that they will need to figure it out because it was clearly successful. The only good thing is that I doubt all of the teams will be able to execute it that well - Louisville was a very physical and strong defensive team.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of reading all the reasons they lose games; please get back to me when we start to see some leadership and consistent clutch play from our seniors. They may well be great teammates and lovely young women, but they're the most disappointing UConn players that I can remember in many years.
Perhaps you should inform the university that you'll be taking over the head coaching position. Then you can step in and start correcting all those disappointing players.

It's a game. They lost a game. And I'm pretty sure they didn't deliberately lose the game to aggravate you. A little perspective might be helpful. This was not a team of surgeons botching a heart transplant. Nobody died. Thery lost a game. Breathe.

Reaction Score
Williams tried a back door cut a couple of times. but the defense was ready for it and kept her covered. Exhibit A of how they know our offence as well as we did.

We had on the floor yesterday three seniors and a Canadian Olympic team member who at one point I felt certain was going to be the second coming of Tina Charles. So that's two senior guards and two bigs with a size and height advantage over what the opponent had. It should have been enough.

But right now yes the offense is predictable and linear, and so is the play of those who are trying to run it.

Louisville won the game in the fourth quarter by their guards simply dribbling to gaps in the defense, then taking and making mid-range jumpers on a number of consecutive possessions. Tragically, the Huskies have nobody available who can do anything similar right now, and frankly no game plan that facilitates that kind of play in any event.

To be contenders for anything this year, we're going to need Paige back at close to her proficiency, plus Azzi able to get open and make threes to relieve the pressure from Paige and everyone else. I don't see any other pathway for this team given that our two best available players are a new transfer and a freshman. I'd say it's about a 50/50 chance the team will have good fortune to be in that position come March, so fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I AM A REALIST.
Which has occasionally garnered me GRIEF on this forum.
Having stated that rather emphatically, let me say.
This season has the makings of one god da*n incredible story.
Story line goes like this:
Returning talent insufficient or injured.
New talent injured before being integrated into the new team program.
Remaining players rally around cause.
New star emerges to help hold the line until relief arrives.
Relief slowly arrives and is forged into one Lean Mean Hoop Machine.
How far can they go?
Who knows?
Certainly a more compelling story than last year.
And the year before.
And the year before.
And the year before that.
Stay tuned......

Reaction Score
That's a great observation. It's a lot of why, despite our advantage in the paint, we had a tough time feeding the post. I feel like they used to run a 1-4 set when they were being pressed like that to encourage back door cuts/screens. I saw CD make several back doors, but not as many from the rest of the team, and I don't remember seeing that set. Regardless, you are spot on that they will need to figure it out because it was clearly successful. The only good thing is that I doubt all of the teams will be able to execute it that well - Louisville was a very physical and strong defensive team.
Louisville and Georgia Tech, both highly skilled defensively, but even when Paige was playing they were completely flustered by some very good pressure trying to inbound the ball down the stretch. There were a few nail biters because of it. The team used to run the high low a lot more (Stef was a pro at it) effectively.

Reaction Score
Team is facing adversity. The seniors are working hard, though unlike other teams UCONN has had before, they are not able to lead the team to wins. Maybe a few more games under the belt will give them the confidence they need. It is hard to imagine this team will go deep into the March tournament unless the seniors become more consistent. I believe the younger players will come through as they are not as tentative. Keep supporting the team. Things will get better..

Reaction Score
Williams tried a back door cut a couple of times. but the defense was ready for it and kept her covered. Exhibit A of how they know our offence as well as we did.

We had on the floor yesterday three seniors and a Canadian Olympic team member who at one point I felt certain was going to be the second coming of Tina Charles. So that's two senior guards and two bigs with a size and height advantage over what the opponent had. It should have been enough.

But right now yes the offense is predictable and linear, and so is the play of those who are trying to run it.

Louisville won the game in the fourth quarter by their guards simply dribbling to gaps in the defense, then taking and making mid-range jumpers on a number of consecutive possessions. Tragically, the Huskies have nobody available who can do anything similar right now, and frankly no game plan that facilitates that kind of play in any event.

To be contenders for anything this year, we're going to need Paige back at close to her proficiency, plus Azzi able to get open and make threes to relieve the pressure from Paige and everyone else. I don't see any other pathway for this team given that our two best available players are a new transfer and a freshman. I'd say it's about a 50/50 chance the team will have good fortune to be in that position come March, so fingers crossed!
Right on the money. And when Bueckers is available, last season and this, GA won't open up a side of the floor in key situations and go ISO to utilize her obvious advantage. She's going to get where she wants to either score, get fouled, or find someone when the help comes almost every time.

Reaction Score
Louisville and Georgia Tech, both highly skilled defensively, but even when Paige was playing they were completely flustered by some very good pressure trying to inbound the ball down the stretch. There were a few nail biters because of it. The team used to run the high low a lot more (Stef was a pro at it) effectively.
You're correct on both points. 1) Last season and this one, pressure defense is a problem because PB is the only really good ballhandler/passer they have that can look through the defense while moving in the offensive sets. 2) They have trouble running the hi/low because the high post passer is iffy and the low posts don't understand how to pin the defender and set the angle for the pass. Next year Brady will improve both ends of it because of being a dangerous shooter and very good passer up high and her footwork down low.

Reaction Score
Every year, we hear the same story that this "X" recruit is coming in or multiple "X" recruits will posture the team to run the board and capture the National Championship. Like one poster said, injuries, recovery, etc. and we become competitive but not enough to secure that Championship. Paige is a one of a kind player but she alone cannot win a championship all by herself. Her absence has shown, clearly, that there are other players who can emerge to play on a well rounded team. And that there are other players who go to sleep and cannot lead. Not to say that these players do not have their moments but consistency is worth more to this.

Ducharme plays with heart. A desire to just plain win. I am not sure that Geno saw her as a star but more as a person with heart who comes to play in every game and results have shown plays very well. Dorka is another one like that. Do you see her face after she scores.

Paige being a one of a kind and certainly tries to get everyone into the game. Her biggest criticism from Geno is to shoot more. And, late in the game, get the ball to Paige because the percentage is that she will make the shot. I think that we need 5 players who come to play, 5 players who have heart. And it should not matter whether they are 5 freshmen or freshmen and seniors who come to play whomever they are. What we want is consistency.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you should inform the university that you'll be taking over the head coaching position. Then you can step in and start correcting all those disappointing players.

It's a game. They lost a game. And I'm pretty sure they didn't deliberately lose the game to aggravate you. A little perspective might be helpful. This was not a team of surgeons botching a heart transplant. Nobody died. Thery lost a game. Breathe.
Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think that I expressed any interest in taking over from Geno; neither did I imply that it's more than a game, that they did it to aggravate me, etc.

But this is a forum for fans. If you choose to take a more relaxed view and are more willing to accept whatever results the team produces, then that's fine. Others, however, are passionate about the team's successes and failures and may have a stronger response.

Reaction Score
Until we start making 3 pointers other teams are just going to keep packing the middle. We will not have the same rebounding advantage, shooting efficiency and we will be open to fast breaks on the way back. It's a huge problem. If we miss our 3 pointers it is nothing but trouble. Long rebounds which start the run game for the opposing team. We have a great inside game so why wouldn't they pack it in Paige's absence? It's not bad passing as much as very little opportunity. It's both, of course, but bad passes happen when the opportunities are not there. We also have very few players who can create their own shot. It's basically Caroline and Paige. Azzi is certainly capable of it. She has a great pull up jumper. I'm looking forward to seeing it. She should watch Harmon of Texas. It's one pull up jumper after another.

Packing it in is a formula for winning against Uconn currently. Fortunately Azzi should help in that regard but we need others as well and we probably will see improvement. It seems that most teams start the season a little slow on 3 point shooting and by now they are more consistent. I also don't see many pull up jumpers. Both Paige and Azzi can be great at that but it is not an important part of anyone else's game on this team. That would help open the middle as well. We are going to keep struggling until we can make our 3 point shots consistently.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Speaking about another aspect of survival:

Are we absolutely certain that the three young woman who traveled home
(out of the country) will have no difficulty returning?

In this day and age with rules changing by the moment, there are no guarentees.

For example a Delta aircraft 6 hours out towards China, turned around and flew home...reason: some controversy there..but Delta claims it was revised covid regs.

The absence of our out of the country mainstays would surely preclude survival.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom