Suppose you are a HS senior | The Boneyard

Suppose you are a HS senior

Status
Not open for further replies.

APA

Reaction Score
  1. You have offers from UConn, 2 upper level MAC teams, and 1lower level P5 team. Where do you go? Why?

Reaction Score
You know, it's easy to sit and think of it that way but there is soooo much more that goes into recruiting. It's not all about who offers you it's a lot more about how comfortable are you with the coaches, how would you enjoy living in the towns of the schools recruiting you, what is there to do outside of football. That's just a few examples. A lot of us would be surprised at what attracts 18 year old kids to different schools. I'll tell you this though, when coach Diaco looks you in the eyes and tells you he wants you to be a Connecticut Husky, he's a hard guy to turn down.

THC

Reaction Score
I coached high school for 23 years in Northern Kentucky. I had 22 players go division 1 and these kids a lot of times are not stable enough to make the best decision by there selves and a lot of the time that's how it is.
Covington Catholic?

Reaction Score
You know, it's easy to sit and think of it that way but there is soooo much more that goes into recruiting. It's not all about who offers you it's a lot more about how comfortable are you with the coaches, how would you enjoy living in the towns of the schools recruiting you, what is there to do outside of football. That's just a few examples. A lot of us would be surprised at what attracts 18 year old kids to different schools. I'll tell you this though, when coach Diaco looks you in the eyes and tells you he wants you to be a Connecticut Husky, he's a hard guy to turn down.

That wasnt the question tho. All the guys that "Diaco has looked in the eyes" dont have other options. The question posed was if they have other options, including another low level P5 offer, and to this point, nothing proves otherwise that someone would pick uconn.

APA

Reaction Score
I coached high school for 23 years in Northern Kentucky. I had 22 players go division 1 and these kids a lot of times are not stable enough to make the best decision by there selves and a lot of the time that's how it is.
No. How do you know that BD is such a hard guy to turn down?

Reaction Score
Bob spent a good amount of time in the MAC coming up as a coach in the late 90's early 2000's at I believe both eastern and western michigan and as a young coach his recruiting style was very aggressive. He's hard to say no too but he's borderline where he can come off as a (bad word that it won't let me say but starts with D) almost. I dealt with him a couple times for a couple of my kids so I know him very slightly. He could be differnt now for all I know but when he was younger he wasn't trying to drive to Kentucky without getting a commitment.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
  1. You have offers from UConn, 2 upper level MAC teams, and 1lower level P5 team. Where do you go? Why?
As written, there's not nearly enough information above to make the decision. There has never been a college decision based only on these factors alone.

If your point was that our conference situation impacts recruiting, by golly you might be right. That doesn't mean it's hopeless.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Do I want to play close to home?
Can my parents make my games if I choose X?
Does the school offer my interested major?
Can I play right away?
Will I be redshirted?

These are just a few questions -

Oh, and do I like the Helmet and Uniforms?

:-(

Reaction Score
Do I want to play close to home?
Can my parents make my games if I choose X?
Does the school offer my interested major?
Can I play right away?
Will I be redshirted?

These are just a few questions -

Do I love football more than math?
Where is my girlfriend going to school?
Can I really date the hostess? She seemed into me during my visit.

Reaction Score
He could be differnt now for all I know but when he was younger he wasn't trying to drive to Kentucky without getting a commitment.

He better be willing to fly to Alaska now that he's our HC to get quality commits for this program... He's making too much doe now to do a halfa&* recruiting job

Reaction Score

With our lack of success on the field since the uniform change our program looks so ugly in them.... we made one subtle change that makes the uni look worse IMO... going from the dark mask(which I think was navy blue, not black) to a white face mask... very dull..

Reaction Score
how about recruit asking UCONN: will it be fun to suit up to play top competition to SRO stadia and join the tradition of national recognition and top bowl appearances?

i played sports for 1 reason-fun

nobody mentioned it

now i know why: no fun playing for monsieur asperger syndrome

guess what: jones aacrek is bogus; he speek of dude lookin in recruits eyes & gettin verbal ok

monsieur assperger makes nil eye contact by definition

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So now Coach is being accused of Asperger's Syndrome?!?! Chap almost became my first ignore.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
  1. If you're a QB and you see how he named the starter at that crazy press conference, does that make you want to play for him?
  2. If you're a QB and you see the way he shuttles QBs in and out, does that make you want to play for him?
  3. If you're a stud WR, do you see how he uses Geremy Davis and does that make you want to play for him?

Every coach looks these players in the eye and shows them the love they are looking for. The proof is on the field.

Reaction Score
I still maintain that every kid dreams of going pro, and if they think they have a shot at P5 and a big stage they will take it, all things being equal. I'd assess it this way - what is the best program I can join where I have a shot of playing, then sort based on coaching. The fact is most time is spent with position coaches, so their personality is key and can make life miserable (ala GDL) or a positive experience. We have to get tweeners - second level kids that straddle the fence between a decent P5 player and an excellent MAC/ IAA player - either a bit slower, a bit undersized, or huge talent but late to learning the game.

Reaction Score
The #1 reason any recruit goes anywhere, has to do with the personal relationship they develop with the coach that recruits him. The rest is window dressing to get the coach and/or player through the doors either at home or at the school.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Every kid has different needs. Some kids want to stay as close to home as possible. Some kids want to play right away. Some kids value education (granted, not so much in the ACC or SEC). Some kids want to chase a NFL dream. Some kids base their decision on a rapport that they develop between their recruiter (and coaching staff) and current players on the team when they visit.

Coach Diaco and staff certainly have some recruiting angles to overcome. We can't tell a kid that we're going to play against ranked "Power" opponents. We can't tell a kid that we have a long history of winning (or recent history of winning, for that matter). But we can tell kids with absolute certainty that the majority of our games can be watched on TV/online on one of the ESPN networks or CBSSN. We can also tell kids that a UCONN degree carries weight. And we can tell kids that UCONN has successfully readied players for the NFL, even in losing seasons. Not every kid is going to choose UCONN, but we can still find good players who 1) want to be here and 2) can help us win.

Recruiting football is night and day different than recruiting basketball. Basketball programs can immediately turn a bad season into a good one if they can recruit a stud one and done type. Football programs need more time to recruit quantity and quality. As we've seen from some of the "Roster Attrition" articles written in the past week, building quality depth is important. The best way to fend off the type of mass exodus of players that we've seen in the past few years is to recruit kids who WANT to be at UCONN...exactly what the coaching staff is focusing on. Our '15 class has two very distinct characteristics: they all have athletic, big frames that can turn into NFL sized bodies with our S&C program and facilities and they all want to come to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Lets face it, everyone wants to be drafted into the NFL and make millions. Anyone can get drafted from any school as long as you are good, doesn't matter on the school. NFL Scouts are everywhere and recognize talent if you go to Central Michigan or Michigan. If those are my choices, I'd look at the coaching staff and their ability to send players to the pros, and their coaching style. I believe Coach Diaco and his coaching staff have that ability and that's one of the main reasons Kevin Murphy is coming here as opposed to a P5.

Examples of high profile non P5 players:
Michael Strahan-Texas Southern
Victor Crus-UMass
Eric Fisher-Central Michigan
Randy Moss-Marshall

Reaction Score
Lets face it, everyone wants to be drafted into the NFL and make millions. Anyone can get drafted from any school as long as you are good, doesn't matter on the school. NFL Scouts are everywhere and recognize talent if you go to Central Michigan or Michigan. If those are my choices, I'd look at the coaching staff and their ability to send players to the pros, and their coaching style. I believe Coach Diaco and his coaching staff have that ability and that's one of the main reasons Kevin Murphy is coming here as opposed to a P5.

Examples of high profile non P5 players:
Michael Strahan-Texas Southern - played one year of HS football in the U.S

Victor Crus-UMass - terrible academics and kicked out of umass a few times

Eric Fisher-Central Michigan - might actually be a good example. purdue seemed to be the "big name" college after him. didnt find any bad press on him except he was on the light side.

Randy Moss-Marshall - recruited by notre dame then FSU, settled on Marshall because they were DII at the time so he could play immediatly

Reaction Score
I have said it before, the coach who will have success here is the coach who can evaluate high school talent. There are a ton of kids each year who commit to non p5 schools that have great college careers and get drafted. Coach D has to find those kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom