OT: - Superior Grocery Stores operating in several states | The Boneyard

OT: Superior Grocery Stores operating in several states

Reaction Score
Off season, and I’m always looking for people’s insights.

I’m a huge fan of Fresh Market. Prices in the higher range, but their sales are wonderful.

Butcher and seafood counter are great. Love it when NY strip steak on sale for $11. Breaded chicken at the $5 sale price is spectacular. Tuna, crab cakes, salmon, coconut shrimp and tempura shrimp are wonderful.

When on sale the quiche, various types of pizza, chicken pot pie and various nut breads always please.

I’m so hooked that if I move there will have to be a Fresh Market within 10 miles.

Cheers.

Although I live in Greensboro, where FM’s corporate HQ is, I have no affiliation with it at all.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What's the point, never heard of it. None in Connecticut as far as I know.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I LOVE The Fresh Market. Great selection, great customer service. Such a peaceful relaxing atmosphere in which to shop. Love the fruit selections, I could do without the salad bar. :rolleyes:.

My biggest gripe is that the Bakery section is adjacent to the hot food section. Its like they are almost forcing you to pick up some cheesecake, danishes, or cookies after you get smoked brisket or savory bbq chicken. :oops:

Reaction Score
Fresh Market in South Florida. Not a big fan due to high prices, although so is Publix.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Another good "grocery" store with limited stores in multiple states, mainly the mid Atlantic region: Wegmans.
When we lived in Northern Virginia, there were a couple of stores.
Unfortunately the nearest ones to our current home are two+ hours away.

Reaction Score
Fresh Market in South Florida. Not a big fan due to high prices, although so is Publix.

But their sales prices which happen on a weekly basis changing each day, normally half off, make it awesome. Down here Thursday is the great day, but Monday and Friday are not bad either.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't know of anything wrong with Whole Foods and we have gotten our fresh, uncooked turkey and some cooked sides there the last 2 Thanksgivings Likewise, I have stopped in Sprouts from time to time and also AJ's (which I think is a local equivalent to some of these).

The thing is, for convenience, selection and week to week shopping, I don't shop in those stores. Much better prices (usually) in Frys, which is a Kroger brand name. At least until the merger mess is resolved, we have Safeway and Albertson's, as well, and while Safeway is not impressive, Albertson's is ok but pricy. In any case, again, unless I need something specific - or of special quality - I will just shop Frys.

Reaction Score
So, we're talking grocery store huh? Ok. I'm near Tampa and within a couple of miles I've got Publix, Sprouts and Fresh Market. A mile further is a Harris Teeter.

My major shopping is at Publix. Some think Publix is wonderful. I'm more of the opinion they are a good store as far as non- specialty grocery stores go. Pretty much anything I need they have. They own the Florida market.

Sprouts has mostly non- name brand stuff, which for the most part I don't buy. As their name might suggest they devote a lot of space to fruits and veggies, which is no better or worse than any other grocery store. What they do have, which none of the other aforementioned stores have, is goat yougut. My wife is lactose intolerant and eats a lot of it. So I go there about weekly. If they stop carrying it I'm screwed - my only fall back is schlepping to Whole Foods in Tampa, which is way more time consuming than I care to deal with.

Fresh Market is nice. A little pricey but nice. I do go there at least weekly as it's my source for decent coffee. They carry a good selection of beans - I generally rotate between Tanzanian, Ethiopian and Costa Rican beans. I didn't realize they had good sales as mentioned earlier in this thread so I'll be watching for that.

Harris Teeter is not bad and that's the best I can say for them. On the whole they have less inventory than Publix and are slightly more expensive for some staples. If they have BOGO things I want I'll head their way. Oh, one thing in their favor: during the height of Covid, when venturing out seemed to be a dangerous adventure, the county closed all the parks which included the tennis courts. After a couple of months I looked for a workaround to get off my duff. A nearby Harris Teeter was closed and sat empty. Behind the store was the loading dock and a big, beautiful wall against which I could hit a tennis ball to my heart's content.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I do most of my day-to-day at Giant. It’s mostly mid-Atlantic, but it’s now owned by the same Dutch company that owns Stop and Shop, Hannaford’s, etc. I like the staff and prices; I have many other specialty stores (Indian, Korean, Chinese, Iranian, etc) that I go to for specialty stuff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
For all of my love for The Fresh Market... for day to day shopping, I either go to Food Lion or the Walmart Neighborhood Stores. I go to Harris Teeter for Cinnamon and Spice Oatmeal, Pineapple Coconut Water, and Boars Head Deli. Publix is probably the best all around grocery store, but they only have one in Greensboro, and its about a 20 minute drive. We have Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Lowes, but I've never shopped at any of those. Whole Foods is a bit pricey for my tastes.

But their sales prices which happen on a weekly basis changing each day, normally half off, make it awesome. Down here Thursday is the great day, but Monday and Friday are not bad either.

I guess you would probably go to the Fresh Market off of New Garden (I've never been there). I go to the one on Lawndale. I assume all of them look the same inside, and are of similar size. Although I see the sales listed when I enter the store, I never actually pay too much attention to them. Do you have to have to join a Fresh Market Club or something to take advantage? One of the things I like about FM is that since its smaller than other grocery stores, it always me to have laser focus and I'm in and out pretty quickly. Fruits, BBQ chicken, pick up the dinner combo special... venture over to pick up some cookies, or cake, or cheesecake.. or .... then off to check out.

They definitely have the friendliest cussomer service. Though once a young lady convinced me that I would like the maple glazed brussel sprouts with bacon. I did not. :oops:

I am a bit surprised that no Whole Foods enthusiasts have responded.

Man... a few years ago I was looking for a pie to take for Thanksgiving Dinner... I was in the area so I stopped at Whole Foods (Instead of the massive Harris Teeter around the corner) and picked up a pecan pie of some variety. They didn't have the price marked on the table, I just picked one up and went to the check out. Those pies were usually 6.99-7.99 at Harris Teeter or Food Lion. That darn pie was 17.99 before tax. I haven't been back since.

Reaction Score
Triad - I go to FM off New Garden. It is better than the Lawndale store. All you do to become a “member” is basically put your phone number on file.

For day to day it’s Teeter for me.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Triad - I go to FM off New Garden. It is better than the Lawndale store. All you do to become a “member” is basically put your phone number on file.

For day to day it’s Teeter for me.

What makes New Garden better? I know its probably bigger, as the Lawndale location was the very first Fresh Market.

How do you feel about Lowe's? Since its right there near FM and Harris Teeter.

Reaction Score
New Garden store is obviously newer and bit bigger. It just feels nicer to me than Lawndale (parking is way easier).

Not a big fan of Lowes. I find Teeter’s prices better. But if you enjoy having a wine or beer while shopping, Lowe’s has an active bar/cafe on most Thursdays.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
We go on Mondays for the BOGO - prime pork tenderloins, and give one to our daughter. If we forget and only get one, they chop the price in half, and I wish Publix would do the same. On Tuesdays, they have a $3.99/lb ground chuck or boneless chicken breasts. The only other things we get at FM are funky ingredients and fancy produce that is not at Publix.

Reaction Score
When our daughter lived in North Miami Beach, we thought Publix was the best ever, especially for deli and produce. Here in rural eastern Connecticut, it’s Walmart for national brands and Big Y in winter for meat and produce. In the summer, I’ll happily pay a little more for fresh produce at our local farm stand.

Reaction Score
For all of my love for The Fresh Market... for day to day shopping, I either go to Food Lion or the Walmart Neighborhood Stores. I go to Harris Teeter for Cinnamon and Spice Oatmeal, Pineapple Coconut Water, and Boars Head Deli. Publix is probably the best all around grocery store, but they only have one in Greensboro, and its about a 20 minute drive. We have Trader Joes, Sprouts, and Lowes, but I've never shopped at any of those. Whole Foods is a bit pricey for my tastes.

I guess you would probably go to the Fresh Market off of New Garden (I've never been there). I go to the one on Lawndale. I assume all of them look the same inside, and are of similar size. Although I see the sales listed when I enter the store, I never actually pay too much attention to them. Do you have to have to join a Fresh Market Club or something to take advantage? One of the things I like about FM is that since its smaller than other grocery stores, it always me to have laser focus and I'm in and out pretty quickly. Fruits, BBQ chicken, pick up the dinner combo special... venture over to pick up some cookies, or cake, or cheesecake.. or .... then off to check out.

They definitely have the friendliest cussomer service. Though once a young lady convinced me that I would like the maple glazed brussel sprouts with bacon. I did not. :oops:

Man... a few years ago I was looking for a pie to take for Thanksgiving Dinner... I was in the area so I stopped at Whole Foods (Instead of the massive Harris Teeter around the corner) and picked up a pecan pie of some variety. They didn't have the price marked on the table, I just picked one up and went to the check out. Those pies were usually 6.99-7.99 at Harris Teeter or Food Lion. That darn pie was 17.99 before tax. I haven't been back since.
Lowe's is kind of a strange one but I really like sitting down for a cold draft at the bar while grocery shopping.

I would love the maple glazed brussel sprouts with bacon, With a nice grilled calves liver and an old vine zinfandel. Yum!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lowe's is kind of a strange one but I really like sitting down for a cold draft at the bar while grocery shopping.

I would love the maple glazed brussel sprouts with bacon, With a nice grilled calves liver and an old vine zinfandel. Yum!

If I would have known that, I would have packed them up and sent them to you. Instead i threw them in the trash can. I waste a TON of food.
We go on Mondays for the BOGO - prime pork tenderloins, and give one to our daughter. If we forget and only get one, they chop the price in half, and I wish Publix would do the same. On Tuesdays, they have a $3.99/lb ground chuck or boneless chicken breasts. The only other things we get at FM are funky ingredients and fancy produce that is not at Publix.

Sounds like good deals. I'm not much of a early week grocery shopper though.

Reaction Score

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

The Canadian seeing that some grocery stores allow you to enjoy a beer while shopping. How my country has failed me.:eek:

Reaction Score
Off season, and I’m always looking for people’s insights.

I’m a huge fan of Fresh Market. Prices in the higher range, but their sales are wonderful.

Butcher and seafood counter are great. Love it when NY strip steak on sale for $11. Breaded chicken at the $5 sale price is spectacular. Tuna, crab cakes, salmon, coconut shrimp and tempura shrimp are wonderful.

When on sale the quiche, various types of pizza, chicken pot pie and various nut breads always please.

I’m so hooked that if I move there will have to be a Fresh Market within 10 miles.

Cheers.

Although I live in Greensboro, where FM’s corporate HQ is, I have no affiliation with it at all.
They have many stores in south-east LA areas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom