Superb Column in NY Times. Tribute to US BB Team. . . | The Boneyard

Superb Column in NY Times. Tribute to US BB Team. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
At the USA game against France in Delaware i was debating this very subject with my daughter and a few people a couple of rows in front of us. Unlike the author of this piece I think you can big up Sue and DT for playing for USA in the Olympic without taking a shot at LeBron and other male players who decided not play. I am little surprised by Geno's choice of backcourt comparison of Sue & DT to West & Goodrich. I am almost positive I remember Geno saying his favorite backcourt of all time was Frazier & Monroe.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I just wish the people who covered my team back home when they were playing were old enough to understand when I said, ‘Yeah, our backcourt is Jerry West and Gail Goodrich,’ and they didn’t look at me, like, ‘Yeah, Gail Goodrich, who’d she play for?’”

Gee, I hope he saves some of the wit for UConn this fall! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Unlike the author of this piece I think you can big up Sue and DT for playing for USA in the Olympic without taking a shot at LeBron and other male players who decided not play. I am little surprised by Geno's choice of backcourt comparison of Sue & DT to West & Goodrich. I am almost positive I remember Geno saying his favorite backcourt of all time was Frazier & Monroe.
1. I agree that knocking LeBron was a cheap shot--a reporter in search of a story. The guy came back to Cleveland, after all, and, not only that, but was an amazing warrior in bringing a championship to his town. Cut him some slack.
2. I think the Goodrich thing wasn't necessarily for the sake of an accurate comparison but more a comment on how little historical memory or appreciation some folks around here have: it ties to his earlier comment that France gave a parade for losing to the U.S., and the American players came home to nothing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is interesting that people need to defend 'men's basketball' in comparison to the women! Think about that for a minute! Sort of refreshing. :rolleyes::cool::)

And I really think it is valid to mention it. The history of NBA players playing for USA basketball is full of great players who declined invitations to play for the team for whatever reasons, and complaining about the sacrifices they were making to stay in 'that hotel' and not being paid what they usually got paid when they did join the team. Compared to that the women have always stepped up even though they generally play 12 months a year. And in the case of Sue and Lindsey, they chose to forgo their large international paychecks this past year so they would be in the best possible physical condition to make the team this summer.

With Rio's preparation on top of Zika worries, a lot of much better paid professional athletes in multiple sports are declining to compete, but the controversy with USA women's basketball is the ones who wanted to compete but were not selected. I am not blaming anyone for not going, but it is valid to note that every US woman under consideration for the team was stepping up and committing to go.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
At the USA game against France in Delaware i was debating this very subject with my daughter and a few people a couple of rows in front of us. Unlike the author of this piece I think you can big up Sue and DT for playing for USA in the Olympic without taking a shot at LeBron and other male players who decided not play. I am little surprised by Geno's choice of backcourt comparison of Sue & DT to West & Goodrich. I am almost positive I remember Geno saying his favorite backcourt of all time was Frazier & Monroe.

Sounds to me like he wanted to get a chance to use the "Gail/she" line....;):p

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And I really think it is valid to mention it. The history of NBA players playing for USA basketball is full of great players who declined invitations to play for the team for whatever reasons, and complaining about the sacrifices they were making to stay in 'that hotel' and not being paid what they usually got paid when they did join the team. Compared to that the women have always stepped up even though they generally play 12 months a year. And in the case of Sue and Lindsey, they chose to forgo their large international paychecks this past year so they would be in the best possible physical condition to make the team this summer.

While the women play a full year (WNBA + Euro), it looks like they play around 60 or so games including playoffs. The men's regular season alone is 82 games. If, like Lebron, you make the Finals of the playoffs, you are playing around 100 games. And that's packed into 8 months. The women's schedule is more spread out. And when you cumulate this out over a number of years, it's not even close in terms of wear and tear on the body.

Furthermore, the NBA game is 8 minutes longer than the WNBA; Those minutes add up over time. Back of a napkin comparison:
  • Since 2004 Diana has played 1,1364reg + 1,387playoff + 1,277 adj2015= 14,028 minutes in the WNBA (adj for missing 2015).
  • A rough, rough estimate of her Euro minutes is 700 per year = 9100.
  • So a rough, rough estimate of DTs total career minutes would be 23,128.
  • Lebron has played 46,861 in the same time frame. That is more than twice what DT has played in her entire career!
Given the above, the abuse on the body is far greater for the men, hence the need to rest. Plus, the many millions of dollars riding on these guys health vis-a-vis their teams is a serious disincentive to take on more risk.

The Zika thing is going to strike any guys off the list who are trying to have kids in the near future. I don't know, but I'd guess the % of WNBA players looking to have children in the near future is much lower, as it impacts their career directly. So they have less worry in that regard. Again, I don't have any idea of the actual stats, just making an reasonable guess.

Note, I absolutely hate defending Lebron.

Reaction Score

Probably how most of us feel, 'cept he did an amazing thing by returning to Cleveland. It's pretty heroic actually.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Probably how most of us feel, 'cept he did an amazing thing by returning to Cleveland. It's pretty heroic actually.
Agreed, anyone who goes to Cleveland of their own free will, well that's pretty special.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While the women play a full year (WNBA + Euro), it looks like they play around 60 or so games including playoffs.
More than that probably. Up to 85 games. (still not 100). They have WNBA 34 plus playoffs (up to 11), League (like Russian) 18 plus playoff (up to 3), and Euroleague 14 plus playoffs (up to 5).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
More than that probably. Up to 85 games. (still not 100). They have WNBA 34 plus playoffs (up to 11), League (like Russian) 18 plus playoff (up to 3), and Euroleague 14 plus playoffs (up to 5).

Thanks. I tried to put some effort into it, but finding all the stats etc was too much of a pain in the arse. I think you really notice the difference when you look at minutes. Games is obviously deceiving given the different time lengths.

Reaction Score
Auriemma on Bird & Taurasi: "The only time they get in trouble is when they argue with each other — who is smarter, because neither of them has ever been wrong in their lives. Ever. Ever. If you ever catch Sue or D going, ‘Listen, I was wrong,’ get it on tape, because it’ll be the first time.”

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Auriemma on Bird & Taurasi: "The only time they get in trouble is when they argue with each other — who is smarter, because neither of them has ever been wrong in their lives. Ever. Ever. If you ever catch Sue or D going, ‘Listen, I was wrong,’ get it on tape, because it’ll be the first time.”

HAH! The kettle is very BLACK! ;)

Reaction Score
not sure Geno can ever find a way adequately to express just how completely he loves those two (and a whole bunch of his other players). Italian macho is as close as he can get, and they know that.

Reaction Score
A lot of well known republicans even refused to go to Cleveland,so Lebron must be deserving of a gold medal just for playing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom