Super Bowl Thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Super Bowl Thoughts

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If that factored into Shanahan's play calling, he does not deserve to be a head coach. Matt Bryant missed a single filed goal under 50 yards all year and was 9 for 9 from 40-49. If he called two more runs, the Patriots, at the very least, burn at least one more time out and even if Bryant misses, that's 70 yards, under 2:00, and probably zero time outs.
I'm not arguing it wasn't a foolish path to take the path they took. I'm presenting a possible scenario which led them to make the choices they took.

And it's wrong to think that the body of work Shanahan has done should be negated by panic in the heat of the moment. It happens to most coaches even better than Shanahan.

I would have played it like you suggest. Happy it didn't happen.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
They left an extra minute on the clock by not running the ball there. Matt Bryant is automatic from 40 yards in. They run there they win. Simple as that. He was 39-40 from 40 yards or closer in the 4th quarter or OT in his career. If I'm a coach I'm pretty confident he makes that fg.
I agree with you. See my post to 25.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
panic in the heat of the moment.

Exactly what you don't want in a head coach.

The thought is to get as many yards as you can,” Shanahan said, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com. “And we were right there on the fringe. It was by no means an easy field goal. From what I remember, we ran in on first-and-10 and lost yards. Got into second-and-11, so we try to get a pass to get us back into a manageable third down, closer to the field goal...

Yes Atlanta lost a yard on 1st down. Even if they lost a couple yards on 2nd and 3rd down. It would have taken time off the clock and still would have left a manageable FG attempt. Shanahan panicked and now the 49ers (and their fans) have 7 months of to second guessing.

At the end of the day, we agree, so there is no use in arguing over the same side of the discussion. It just turns into who can say "Yes," louder. I'm just flabbergasted house Belichick is so good in these situations and other coaches sit on their d!ksack.

Reaction Score
A 39 yard fg is an "easy" fg by all NFL metrics. Especially by a pro bowler like Bryant. Not sure what Shanahan is talking about. He's just trying to deflect blame... which as of right now stands squarely on his shoulders. I wouldn't want to be known as the architect of the biggest collapse in sports history. If I was a gm I wouldn't hire him after that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
A 39 yard fg is an "easy" fg by all NFL metrics. Especially by a pro bowler like Bryant. Not sure what Shanahan is talking about. He's just trying to deflect blame... which as of right now stands squarely on his shoulders. I wouldn't want to be known as the architect of the biggest collapse in sports history. If I was a gm I wouldn't hire him after that.
Did Shanahan say it? I was just making a conjecture. You and 25 think it's grounds for not making him a head coach. It might be he caves under pressure or it might be he's still new to these circumstances. Whatever the case Belechick is just incredible with how he handled things that game. Made adjustments the entire game but never panicked. The guy is a genius in finding the players that fit his system, modifying his system when necessary, and getting the most out of his personnel. His only luck is having a QB who has extreme talent and has bought into that system from the beginning as well as having longevity.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Should have gone for the field goal.

Also, was it just me or were the Falcons sending less men after the QB during their dive?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes, I believe not being able to read and judge down, distance, score, and time is a red flag for a prospective head coach.

Reaction Score
Did Shanahan say it? I was just making a conjecture. You and 25 think it's grounds for not making him a head coach. It might be he caves under pressure or it might be he's still new to these circumstances. Whatever the case Belechick is just incredible with how he handled things that game. Made adjustments the entire game but never panicked. The guy is a genius in finding the players that fit his system, modifying his system when necessary, and getting the most out of his personnel. His only luck is having a QB who has extreme talent and has bought into that system from the beginning as well as having longevity.

Belechick is a master at in game adjustments. I knew the game would turn around, and it did. I just thought the defecit was to much to overcome. They needed a hell of a lot of help and lucky breaks and everything fell into place. I dislike the Patriots as much as the next guy, but I have to hand to them. Even though Atlanta was offering the game up on a silver platter they still had to step up and take it. Kudos to them.

Reaction Score

And yes... he did say that wasn't an "easy" fg. I have to wholeheartedly disagree. 39 yards is pretty automatic for Matt Bryant. He's only missed 1 in his career under 50 yards in the 4th quarter or OT. And the fg was on turf indoors without the elements. I'm just salty cuz I bet on Atlanta.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For the record, it was explained they weren't running it because Alex Mack could barely walk at that point, never mind run-block.

That could just be an excuse after the fact, but it's out there.

Reaction Score
For the record, it was explained they weren't running it because Alex Mack could barely walk at that point, never mind run-block.

Well that would make sense if they needed to gain yardage in the run game... but at that point all they needed to do was not go backwards 10 yards and they win the game. Also they were snapping the ball with 15+ seconds left on the play clock every down. Ive never seen a more poorly managed game than the 2nd half of that game by Shanahan ever.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well that would make sense if they needed to gain yardage in the run game... but at that point all they needed to do was not go backwards 10 yards and they win the game. Also they were snapping the ball with 15+ seconds left on the play clock every down. Ive never seen a more poorly managed game than the 2nd half of that game by Shanahan ever.

I'm not disagreeing with any of what you guys were saying. Just passing that tidbit along. Mack's got some guts. It was not a well managed couple of series there.

Reaction Score
If a man has a fractured fibula, you cannot leave him standing too long. The Falcons should have rotated centers.

Reaction Score
Have a cheerleader snap the ball and take three knees. Kick the fg and start planning the parade.

Reaction Score
Well that would make sense if they needed to gain yardage in the run game.... but at that point all they needed to do was not go backwards 10 yards and they win the game. Also they were snapping the ball with 15+ seconds left on the play clock every down. Ive never seen a more poorly managed game than the 2nd half of that game by Shanahan ever.

Yep extremely stupid, it makes all the more sense why Coughlin matched up well against Belichick, there is no way he would have had the ball snapped with 15+ plus seconds, or have even attempted to throw on that part of the field. Not even Ben Mcadoo would have been that dumb.

Reaction Score

So instead they ask Mack to pass block? And low and behold, he gives up a 10-yard sack. Worst case, they run the ball and lose a yard or two. If that's the explanation....holy hell, Atlanta may have the dumbest coaching staff alive.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So instead they ask Mack to pass block? And low and behold, he gives up a 10-yard sack. Worst case, they run the ball and lose a yard or two. If that's the explanation.....holy hell, Atlanta may have the dumbest coaching staff alive.
How how about this idea? Substitute him. Is 40% of Mack really greater than 100% of the next guy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom