OT: - Super Bowl food | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Super Bowl food

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Attention to detail matters. Why am I having to reiterate that to coffee king?
To start with, there's much more to coffee. There's simply so little to a chicken wing, I never really understood the fuss.

You may recall that early in our lifetimes, outside of the deep South, they were either used for stock or tossed in trash. They were an interesting novelty when buffalo wings were first introduced as they were dirt cheap like squid or short ribs at the time, but now they're no longer cheap, I don't understand the continuing love affair.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
It's funny how things work like that. It was not many years ago when Hanger steaks were dirt cheap but now the price has gone up and they are regularly featured on menus. Not the same as a chicken wing since it may be the most underrated cut, but still funny how pricing works.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
To start with, there's much more to coffee. There's simply so little to a chicken wing, I never really understood the fuss.

You may recall that early in our lifetimes, outside of the deep South, they were either used for stock or tossed in trash. They were an interesting novelty when buffalo wings were first introduced as they were dirt cheap like squid or short ribs at the time, but now they're no longer cheap, I don't understand the continuing love affair.
This is my point. You if anyone should get it. There is actually a way to cook things right, which is what launched these to the appetizer stratosphere in our lifetime in the 80s . You couldn’t give away chicken wings in 70’s. Wings were WAY cheaper than thighs and legs. Now wings cost 3x to 4x as legs and thighs yet people cooking them butcher them!

Brisket and flank steak were garbage meats too.

Reaction Score
Agree with August, wings should always he fried. I have a little trouble rationalizing paying $28 for an order of wings now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I suppose they are more versatile than beef on weck

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
Related note: How about buffalo chicken dip?

I have officially outlawed it in my house. I can’t have it around me because I basically put on ear straps and starting inhaling it until I’m sick.

Love/hate relationship. I will eat it all if it is in front of me, but hate myself for it not too long after.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And that’s fine. Accepting good enough for whatever reason you want is ok with me. I gave you key to best. In America 2022 I don’t expect more than settling for less. No one has to take the advice. I just am trying to make wings great again. I said my piece. And will stand by it in a blind taste over any alternative method. It’s what all you people buying “ the best wings” at top 10 wing restaraunts do. They do exactly what I said. The only difference between me and them is you eat mine fresh and theirs after sitting. Go figure.

Part of it is not having a fryer. Don’t even know where I’d put yet another outdoor cooking device. If I had one, I’d use your method. Will say I’ve had some very good smoked wings though. It’s just a different thing really.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love/hate relationship. I will eat it all if it is in front of me, but hate myself for it not too long after.
Bingo. Except my self-hate lasts quite a while. Sometimes all night and into the morning.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I have officially outlawed it in my house. I can’t have it around me because I basically put on ear straps and starting inhaling it until I’m sick.
Same. That stuff, well made jalapeño poppers and the Davios Philly cheesesteak egg rolls all induce irrational consumption.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bingo. Except my self-hate lasts quite a while. Sometimes all night and into the morning.
This is what Darth Vader meant when he said to feel the hate flowing through you.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

I make this garbage dip with a roll of cooked jimmy dean sausage, a can of Rotel and block of cream cheese and put it in a mini crock pot. Kate banned it because I eat it by the pound.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I make this garbage dip with a roll of cooked jimmy dean sausage, a can of Rotel and block of cream cheese and put it in a mini crock pot. Kate banned it because I eat it by the pound.
Bet you use the scoop chips for that too. Those are the best invention ever. I can clean a casserole dish with like five of them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is my point. You if anyone should get it. There is actually a way to cook things right, which is what launched these to the appetizer stratosphere in our lifetime in the 80s . You couldn’t give away chicken wings in 70’s. Wings were WAY cheaper than thighs and legs. Now wings cost 3x to 4x as legs and thighs yet people cooking them butcher them!

Brisket and flank steak were garbage meats too.
I get what you're saying, and as I said, I do admire craft/artisanship/detail in cooking, but I continue to feel that when it comes to wings, there's simply not much "there" there.

Too bad you were born after ortolan became illegal. Would've loved to see you do that ;)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not much to get. Buffalo wings and roast beef sandwiches both taste good, that's why people like them.
I guess ADub's devotion to Arby's has a second.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Bet you use the scoop chips for that too. Those are the best invention ever. I can clean a casserole dish with like five of them.
That’s exactly what I use. Before the total banning I used frito scoops. Then those got banned because of salt content… lol, and then she was buying salt free organic tortilla scoops , and then realized that it didn’t matter and I would eat it with a spoon.

It was a good run while it lasted.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
Where does pizza rank on the go to Super Bowl food? Football and pizza seem to be tailormade. I guess any sport and pizza work.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That’s exactly what I use. Before the total banning I used frito scoops. Then those got banned because of salt content… lol, and then she was buying salt free organic tortilla scoops , and then realized that it didn’t matter and I would eat it with a spoon.

It was a good run while it lasted.
Frito scoops are a pro move because of the structural integrity. Big lifters.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where does pizza rank on the go to Super Bowl food? Football and pizza seem to be tailormade. I guess any sport and pizza work.
Not on the menu for us today, or really ever for Super Bowl. We eat it so frequently otherwise. I had it both Thursday (Sally’s) and Friday (Grand Apizza), and last Friday before that (Zupp’s).

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My food job at most parties, shrimp cocktail from Close Harbour

Willie Bag O Shrimp, dats me

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
Not on the menu for us today, or really ever for Super Bowl. We eat it so frequently otherwise. I had it both Thursday (Sally’s) and Friday (Grand Apizza), and last Friday before that (Zupp’s).

Picking the right spots for sure.

Same here we make pizza pretty much every Friday/Saturday throughout the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom