Sun's Brionna Jones Development | The Boneyard

Sun's Brionna Jones Development

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
After both the Liberty and the Phoenix games, my wife and I talked about the change in Bri Jones' game recently. She seems more active, better positioned, and is definitely more comfortable with the speed and physicality. The article below supports what we have been seeing (much of which won't show on the stats page). All season I have been looking ahead with interest (and confusion) to the benefits and challenges that will result from Chiney's return next season. Marc Allard touches on that also.

I hope Brionna has a great season in China and takes a big sophomore leap. Watching her practice and warm up, she has a sweet-looking (and underused) mid-range jump shot. With work she may develop into a younger version of fellow turtle Lynetta Kizer who has been plagued by back problems this year. She only seems to lack foot speed and quickness right now, and that can be improved with lots of hard work. I know over her college career she lost a lot of weight and she needs to keep building and maturing her body (more weights, less plates) at a slow and steady pace. I also have to add that she appears to be a gem of a person.

Training camp 2018 will be as competitive as it gets. Not counting any draftees or potential trades, you have Chiney and 2017 draftee Leticia Romero coming in and no matter how this year turns out, everyone's excitement and expectations will be VERY high. As things look right now Bri, DA and Kayla may be fighting for 1 front court spot. If she makes good progress, Bri Jones could demonstrate greatest value in that group.

NORWICH BULLETIN ARTICLE: Sun rookie learning from veterans

sun_mystics_basketball_52951_c0-0-3600-2098_s885x516.jpg

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Brionna Jones, Danielle Adams, and Kayla Pederson are fighting for one spot, I would put my money on Brionna. But really I think that both Adams and Kizer are expendable based on their play this year, which should mean that both Pederson and B. Jones can be retained.

I hope that Morgan Tuck gets her act together fairly soon -- she hasn't been the same since coming back from her injury. She has had a ton of missed layups, something that never happened (well, almost never) in her UConn career.

I am surprised that B. Jones hasn't been more immediately effective, given the problems that she presented for Stewie and Morgan when Maryland played UConn in her junior year.

I still am not a fan of Rachel Banham, and I think Coach Miller may be becoming less enthused about her with each game. If Romero shows up, I would expect her to beat out Banham for a roster spot.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She is not playing in China . The article says that she is playing in a Russian league.

"She has signed a contract to play for Nadezhda Orenburg in Russia. The city is located in the south of Russia, just over 900 miles from Moscow.

“It’s a good league,” Jones said. “Getting to play against some of the top players (in the WNBA) is going to be helpful and just learning from that experience will help me a lot for next year."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I am surprised that B. Jones hasn't been more immediately effective, given the problems that she presented for Stewie and Morgan when Maryland played UConn in her junior year.

There was a lot of talk of her being pro-ready during the NCAA season. I wasn't buying it, although she's made even less of an impact than even I'd expected.

Reaction Score
As much as she was in college game shape, but she def isn't in WNBA shape.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think game shape is the right wording. She is basically slow (or euphemistically methodical) and it really is glaring on a team which is uncommonly athletic. When JJ can run like a gazelle, the contrast is unavoidable, I imagine she will need to get somewhat quicker or learn tricks to compensate by using her strength.

psconn

Reaction Score
She is not playing in China . The article says that she is playing in a Russian league.

"She has signed a contract to play for Nadezhda Orenburg in Russia. The city is located in the south of Russia, just over 900 miles from Moscow.

“It’s a good league,” Jones said. “Getting to play against some of the top players (in the WNBA) is going to be helpful and just learning from that experience will help me a lot for next year."

Oops. Yup, I meant Russia.

Reaction Score
I've noticed that Brionna uses angles and positioning exceptionally well to defend quicker players, get open shots, and gather rebounds. She is lead footed, but at times she can go a short distance with surprising quickness. She has quick hands, even pulling in a couple of steals twice this season. She is going to be effective in the future. There was an article in the Day a few days ago, which pointed out her physicality which she is better able to use in the pros than she was able in college as the bumping is allowed more in the W. http://www.theday.com/article/20170822/SPORT13/170829778

She's also very smart. She was pre-med in college. There haven't been many post players who have had great impact in their rookie seasons. It usually takes the big girls longer to develop than the guards.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see her post up stronger, she doesn't seem to really drive herself down into position to get the ball in the post. She boxes well, and is learning defense, but if she could be a low post presence periodically it would help, I think.

Kizer is a FA after the season BTW, and Adams and Pedersen are both on one year contracts.

psconn

Reaction Score
I'd like to see her post up stronger, she doesn't seem to really drive herself down into position to get the ball in the post. She boxes well, and is learning defense, but if she could be a low post presence periodically it would help, I think.

Kizer is a FA after the season BTW, and Adams and Pedersen are both on one year contracts.

I think the bar that is set for Bri is to come back from Russia with improved skills and fitness, be super-competitive in camp and earn a spot on a roster. I had forgotten Lynetta's FA status. With her health issues she was not able to be the impact player I thought she would be (I figured she would start at some point). As things worked out, we got very little for Little except improved locker room chemistry. Adams seems like a really good teammate, but aside from that, I didn't get it then, and I still don't get it.

I keep thinking about Chiney's return and how she will be incorporated into what the Sun are doing now. Don't get me wrong, it's never a bad thing to get an All-Star with Chiney's athleticism and personality back from injury. But can she and Alyssa be on the floor at the same time without upsetting floor balance or moving JJ out of her most productive positions? Curt will figure it out and I can't wait to see it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom