SUNJ's AD Gets Fired By.....? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SUNJ's AD Gets Fired By.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I said earlier Pernetti is crafty. He made sure he leveraged Barchi with his first comments on the issue. He is no dummy, so if Barchi is lying, he is done.

Reaction Score
SC just reported that Pernetti was finally canned. I honestly can't believe it took them this long. If the Pres saw these and agreed on the original punishment, I hope his firing isn't far behind.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Barchi is on increasingly thin ice.

Relying on the "process" and the "internal and external investigations" as the sum total of his oversight in this situation, while seemingly intentionally walling himself off from viewing the tapes (until this past week) is pretty much the textbook definition of negligence.

Oh, by the way, is there some kind of induction ceremony that they have when new schools are presumed into the B1G?

Because I am pretty sure that the B1G just got initiated into "life with Rutgers".

Reaction Score
SC just reported that Pernetti was finally canned. I honestly can't believe it took them this long. If the Pres saw these and agreed on the original punishment, I hope his firing isn't far behind.

If the president didnt see these videos last fall he should be fired.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
If the president didnt see these videos last fall he should be fired.

And if he did see tham and didn't fire Rice....he should be fired. It is really shaping up as a lose/lose for him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm guessing most of the delay in announcing the firing between Monday and today was working out the buyout and disclosure agreements. Rice's contract was probably easier.

Plus, the president and the trustees probably had to make sure none of the associate AD's needed to be fired too. They need a clean interim AD while they conduct a search for a new AD.

Reaction Score
Don't give anything that needs a whistle blown on it. Simple.

It doesn't really matter if Murdock is "extorting" them- don't continue to employ someone who clearly doesn't deserve the job.

This is checkers. Not chess. Murdock is largely, if not entirely, blameless.

Yeah, I probably made my point poorly, because I agree with you. The fact that Murdock may be a has no bearing on this issue whatsoever.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What us truly amazing is these Presidents are allowed to run billion dollar operations with minimal management skills.

What should have happened after the AD explained he had tape of his head coach abusing players, (assuming, "fire him" wasn't the immediate response.)

Pres: Is it bad?
AD: It goes well beyond the typical Coach/Player interaction. There was physical contact and verbal abuse, including the use of homophobic slurs, but there was no altercation and the players didn't react negatively.

Pres: He struck a player?
AD: No, gave him a kick in pants with the side of his foot.

Pres: Have you spoken to Coach? Or the Players.
AD: Not yet. I wanted to speak to you before confronting him with the tape. I'll speak to the affected players individually.

Pres: OK, get his side and get back to me with a recommendation. We'll need to stay in front of this. It goes without saying that this behavior is unacceptable. It puts the University at a tremendous risk.
AD: OK.

Now assuming the rest went as reported with the suspension/fine etc. There is a case to be made for keeping him and even for the Pres (assumed a busy guy) delegating to his AD and not watching the video, but the story told to brush this away is awful.

Just say what I wrote above. I was informed of the tape by the AD. He explained the contents and I asked him to investigate further and make a recommendation for my approval. AD did all that and I accepted his recommendation. I had no reason to doubt his judgement in this area, nor that of our HR people, so I accepted the recommendation.

Aside from monitoring future behavior, I considered the issue closed. In hindsight, I should have looked at the tape earlier, that was my mistake. When the story was revived, I then watched the tape and concluded that the Coach should be terminated.

I have spoken with the AD and expressed my dissapointment in the way the incident was initially characterized to me and made it clear that this abuse of students by faculty members is unacceptable. AD has also been relieved pending a formal inquiry (or terminated, either could be made to work).

Now that said, if that's me, there is zero chance I am not watching the tape. Doing the Full HR thing and asking the players if they wish to file a formal complaint. I think by the sheer amount of footage, I would fire him after a legal review of his contract. If it weren't such a pattern and he had earned some level of understanding, he might have kept his job. The suspension would have been a month, in that case.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
You had to know this was going deeper than a coach when the University General Council "resigned" late Wednesday night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom