Sunday's UConn Coaching Rumor (Bruce Feldman - CBS) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sunday's UConn Coaching Rumor (Bruce Feldman - CBS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tressel

On December 20, 2011 the NCAA placed Ohio State on an additional one year's probation and banned it from postseason play in 2012 for numerous major violations under Tressel's watch. It also imposed a five-year show-cause penalty on Tressel, which means any NCAA member that wants to hire him would have to "show cause" for why it shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him, and could face severe penalties if he commits any further violations during that time. The order stands until December 19, 2016; given past precedent, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Tressel from the coaching ranks until the 2017 season. If Tressel ever coaches again during this period, he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game. The NCAA came down particularly hard on Tressel.

(Not suggesting he is the guy we want, but 5 game suspension (which are mostly OOC games) doesn't seem like a deal breaker for me)

Yeah, but if we make it to the NC game in his first couple of years, he won't be able to coach.

That's a deal breaker for me :)

Seriously, I would be very pleased with this hire from a football perspective.

Reaction Score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tressel

On December 20, 2011 the NCAA placed Ohio State on an additional one year's probation and banned it from postseason play in 2012 for numerous major violations under Tressel's watch. It also imposed a five-year show-cause penalty on Tressel, which means any NCAA member that wants to hire him would have to "show cause" for why it shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him, and could face severe penalties if he commits any further violations during that time. The order stands until December 19, 2016; given past precedent, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Tressel from the coaching ranks until the 2017 season. If Tressel ever coaches again during this period, he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game. The NCAA came down particularly hard on Tressel.

(Not suggesting he is the guy we want, but 5 game suspension (which are mostly OOC games) doesn't seem like a deal breaker for me)

Even though he had great teams at OSU, this would be a deal breaker for me also:(
Would a Michigan Wolverine hire a former Buckeye on suspension, statement...not a question...

Reaction Score
Mazzone is a 20 yr younger version of GDL!...UCLA fans would be doing cartwheels if we took him iff their hands!

Reaction Score
Based on what? His hire for the hockey team?
Based on his actions over his career. He is following the same pattern at UConn he followed at UB, and I fully expect he'll follow it when he picks a football coach. For that matter his whole argument for NOT firing Paul Pasqualoni after the dismal 2012 season was strictly by the book. He hired 2 football coaches at UB and followed the same pattern with his one UConn coaching hire (Let's not count Ollie since that wasn't his hire in any real sense). He even e followed the pattern of changing the mascot and his quotes were so close to identical it looked like he used search and replace on his Buffalo comments to make his UConn ones. His pattern is what it is. He'll hire a coordinator from a name program. If he's right he'll be an AD in the Big in a couple of years. If he's wrong maybe he'll be in the CAA. In either case he'll be gone and I'll be pleased.

Reaction Score
Even though he had great teams at OSU, this would be a deal breaker for me also:(
Would a Michigan Wolverine hire a former Buckeye on suspension, statement...not a question...
Another guy you don't have to worry about is Tressle. No way are we taking a guy who is essentially under suspension by the NCAA. None what so ever. UConn has been doing its best to play nice with the NCAA over the past few years. Hired Warde specifically for that purpose. there is no change in he ll that we'll want to tick them off with a hire like that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Narduzzi would seem to be the favorite with ties in the state and being a very good defensive coach. That has been the calling card along with a running game for UCONN over the years.
I don't want Mazzone as he was coaching as he bounces around way to much,

Reaction Score
I think Narduzzi's "ties" to the state are overstated. He was born here, but moved out at a young age. I would love him as a choice, but I don't think his ties to the state should factor in either as a positive or negative.

Reaction Score
Based on his actions over his career. He is following the same pattern at UConn he followed at UB, and I fully expect he'll follow it when he picks a football coach. For that matter his whole argument for NOT firing Paul Pasqualoni after the dismal 2012 season was strictly by the book. He hired 2 football coaches at UB and followed the same pattern with his one UConn coaching hire (Let's not count Ollie since that wasn't his hire in any real sense). He even e followed the pattern of changing the mascot and his quotes were so close to identical it looked like he used search and replace on his Buffalo comments to make his UConn ones. His pattern is what it is. He'll hire a coordinator from a name program. If he's right he'll be an AD in the Big in a couple of years. If he's wrong maybe he'll be in the CAA. In either case he'll be gone and I'll be pleased.

So if he is great you still want him gone? Ok.

Reaction Score
So if he is great you still want him gone? Ok.
Yes. I just am totally unimpressed by the guy. He has done a lousy job as AD to date and even selecting a good football coach won't turn my perception around. He should have been gone when we lost out on the ACC while he sipped umbrella drinks in the Caribbean. I could re-list all his failings here, but I've done that before. Just for the record, I still believe he was chosen for one thing and one thing only...his reputation as the guy who could "fix" the basketball APR problems with the NCAA. I believe that the UConn leadership felt that by bringing him on, they would convince the NCAA they were seriously committed to playing along and would get the ban lifted. APR is "fixed" though for the future. the price is we're stuck with Manuel as AD.

Reaction Score
Right. So he could do all of the things he was hired to do well, and because he didn't do the one thing that he probably couldn't have done regardless of where he was during Atlantis, he sucks. Which means, basically, without building a time machine and hiring Jurich away from LV in 2007, you would hate ALL ADs. Interesting thought process.

Reaction Score
Word through the college recruiting grapevine is that Lembo is a very strong candidate at UConn. He is also being considered by UVA.

Except there is only a remote possibility that Mike London gets whacked this year - very, very expensive to fire (like $11.1m expensive).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right. So he could do all of the things he was hired to do well, and because he didn't do the one thing that he probably couldn't have done regardless of where he was during Atlantis, he sucks. Which means, basically, without building a time machine and hiring Jurich away from LV in 2007, you would hate ALL ADs. Interesting thought process.
If one accepts your premise was nothing he could have done about CR, which I don't, there is still a long list of screw ups under his brief administration.

Reaction Score
Word through the college recruiting grapevine is that Lembo is a very strong candidate at UConn. He is also being considered by UVA.
He would be a great choice! I think UVa is going to ride London for 1 more year, though he was an awful choice which never made much sense.

Reaction Score
I'd be thrilled with lembo, clawson, or narduzzi. Surprised the guy t odu isn't metioned. Like how quickly he has made them competitive and yes i know they kust gave up eighty.

Reaction Score

Fingers crossed that we get Lembo. He has the perfect resume, is the perfect age, and has the smartest man in the room vibe going for him. I imagine he interviews quite well. I also like that Ball State's QB has the same skill set as Boyle, Lembo coached him up and he will get drafted. The guy also grew up a fan of Michigan which probably gets him bonus points from Warde.

Lembo is the Home Run candidate.

Reaction Score
We should be getting close.

In
Lembo
Narduzzi
Ambrose

Out

Nutt
Mazzone
Bunch of other names that should have never been mentioned

What about Smart and Herman?

Reaction Score
Watch Ole Miss vs. Miss State on Thanksgiving. If Ole Miss wins Miss State is not going bowling and Mullen may want to leave on his own terms....

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Long shot and pretty much unproven, but... What about the head coach at Old Dominion, Bobby Wilder? Brought that program from nothing to 8-4 this year. Guys from Maine orginally, coached there and at BC- clearly has ties to New England. Seems like a players guy and a dynamic personality. Might be worth a look by UConn?

Reaction Score
Long shot and pretty much unproven, but... What about the head coach at Old Dominion, Bobby Wilder? Brought that program from nothing to 8-4 this year. Guys from Maine orginally, coached there and at BC- clearly has ties to New England. Seems like a players guy and a dynamic personality. Might be worth a look by UConn?

Since they are moving to FBS/Conference USA next year, they made it pricey to pry him away for a few years. http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/odus-bobby-wilder-gets-new-contract-pay-increase

As an aside - they are doing a bit of recruiting up this way look to beef up the roster. I know they are chasing Harold Cooper from Hillhouse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate