Sunday's Clemson Big 12 Update. GT, Miami and ND included | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sunday's Clemson Big 12 Update. GT, Miami and ND included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame doesn't need to join a conference, and never will. The only way that would have happened is if the ACC and Big East merged about 3 years ago. THEN, they may have gotten ND to join. Today, there is no reason for the Irish to ever join a league.
If the new playoff model is a conference champ-only one with no provision to add ND if they finish in the top 6 or something, they'll join a conference in a heartbeat because they'll be left out in the cold competitively. What conference that is depends on how the four conferences whose champions go to the playoff are determined. But if this is the model used, with no special provision, that will almost definitely put an end to ND's independence.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the new playoff model is a conference champ-only one with no provision to add ND if they finish in the top 6 or something, they'll join a conference in a heartbeat because they'll be left out in the cold competitively. What conference that is depends on how the four conferences whose champions go to the playoff are determined. But if this is the model used, with no special provision, that will almost definitely put an end to ND's independence.

they can't do the conference champ only model because they will be hit with a monstrous anti-trust lawsuit. Furthermore, the playoff will expand to 8 or 16 teams within 10 years guaranteed, possibly within 5 of the first playoff game. There is just too much money in a large playoff, and too much expense in the current bowl system, to not eliminate the bowls and go to a playoff. Bowl advocates are like beeper salesmen. They are on the wrong side of history.

The Irish are not going to make a long term decision to join a conference based on a 4 team playoff structure that almost everyone believes is temporary.

Reaction Score
With the SEC/Big12 matchup and the Big10/Pac12 matchup, is it possible for the ACC/BigEast/ND to matchup in a bowl? take the top ranked team from the BE and ACC along with ND... Two highest ranked play.
It's a win for the BE. ACC might not want to give the BE life, and it may not be enough $'s for ND...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of course this is their preference. But don't you think the conferences can force their hand? It would be easy for the Big XII to grab Louisville and ACC to take UConn, thus obliterating the Big East for good. Would ND stay and play with the BB Only BE schools? Maybe, but it would hurt a strong men's and women's hoop program and good soccer programs, which DO matter to ND. If nobody else will give them the Big East Special, what option do they have? Especially if the playoff is stacked against them and in favor of 4-5 conferences. The Big Ten won't give them the Olympic only deal, as they are in the #1 spot should ND finally join for football. The ACC and Big XII...maybe.

If the ACC-BE merger 3 years ago would be so popular, why wouldn't UConn plus ND to the ACC be the same thing? Who's missing that the Irish care about? WVU? Doubt the Irish have any interest in the hillbillies. The merger you mention has already happened except for UConn and Rutgers.

If the ACC loses a few teams like we all expect, they would take a partial ND membership in a heartbeat if some scheduled games came along with it.

The only reason I see Notre Dame ever joining another league is if the money becomes really jaw dropping to do so. It is really the only question I have about all these leagues chasing Notre Dame. If Notre Dame is so valuable as an addition, how come they aren't making $20MM or more from NBC today?

Reaction Score
If the ACC loses a few teams like we all expect, they would take a partial ND membership in a heartbeat if some scheduled games came along with it.

The only reason I see Notre Dame ever joining another league is if the money becomes really jaw dropping to do so. It is really the only question I have about all these leagues chasing Notre Dame. If Notre Dame is so valuable as an addition, how come they aren't making $20MM or more from NBC today?
ND is something of a Potemkin village. Their home schedule is not worth that year in and out. Their away games, few as they may be, are covered under the contract of the home team's conference. The value of independence to ND is that it allows them to appear somewhat relevant as a result of their "national" schedule. Even if it is not true they can claim to play a tougher schedule than they actually do. As part of a conference they lose that claim.

Reaction Score
they can't do the conference champ only model because they will be hit with a monstrous anti-trust lawsuit. Furthermore, the playoff will expand to 8 or 16 teams within 10 years guaranteed, possibly within 5 of the first playoff game. There is just too much money in a large playoff, and too much expense in the current bowl system, to not eliminate the bowls and go to a playoff. Bowl advocates are like beeper salesmen. They are on the wrong side of history.

The Irish are not going to make a long term decision to join a conference based on a 4 team playoff structure that almost everyone believes is temporary.

They'd only get hit with the anti-trust suit if the structure said the conference champions can only be comprised of X conferences. However, if it just states, the four highest ranked conference champions from any conference, so long as they're ranked in the top something, there's no grounds for an anti-trust suit based on the playoff model, and that will then put ND in a very precarious situation.

Reaction Score
They'd only get hit with the anti-trust suit if the structure said the conference champions can only be comprised of X conferences. However, if it just states, the four highest ranked conference champions from any conference, so long as they're ranked in the top something, there's no grounds for an anti-trust suit based on the playoff model, and that will then put ND in a very precarious situation.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm not sure what gives conferences the right to determine that they can call something a "championship" that excludes teams that choose not to play in a conference.

But, as I've said before, the whole lack of antitrust pressure on the system is so irrational in any event that who knows what a court would say.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That's easy. It's just the home games. In a league, the conference would get the vast majority of the road games, as ND isn't likely to play more than one nonconference road game a year, two tops. As an independent, their current road games go to some other network. Plus, it's just football, they would have some definite value for basketball as well.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ND get to keep the entire bowl payout as well? Every team in a conference must split the revenue with other conference members. ND being an independent allows them to keep it all. This alone is a huge reason ND is in no rush to join a conference. Plus, they keep all football TV revenue. Seems like it makes no sense for ND to give that up. I can't see any conference being able to match those numbers....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's true. I'm not sure what gives conferences the right to determine that they can call something a "championship" that excludes teams that choose not to play in a conference.

But, as I've said before, the whole lack of antitrust pressure on the system is so irrational in any event that who knows what a court would say.

Major sports leagues lose most of the time someone brings a major anti-trust case against them. They are illegal cartels in restraint of trade, and the courts have been pretty consistent on that matter.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's easy. It's just the home games. In a league, the conference would get the vast majority of the road games, as ND isn't likely to play more than one nonconference road game a year, two tops. As an independent, their current road games go to some other network. Plus, it's just football, they would have some definite value for basketball as well.

Doesn't Notre Dame play about the same number of home games as any other school? I don't get the # of home games argument. When a TV network buys FSU, they are buying 7 home games a year. When they buy Notre Dame, they are getting the same thing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Doesn't Notre Dame play about the same number of home games as any other school? I don't get the # of home games argument. When a TV network buys FSU, they are buying 7 home games a year. When they buy Notre Dame, they are getting the same thing.

Yes, but as an indpendent, they can only sell the home games. In a league, the league can sell the home games, plus all the conference road games (ND @ Michigan still belongs to the B1G)...which for ND would likely leave only one game per year, two tops. So Notre Dame is almost inarguably more valuable in a conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom