Sunday Press Conference Quick Hits - No decison on Casey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sunday Press Conference Quick Hits - No decison on Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My gut tells me a Tuesday announcement means a possible medical redshirt for CC. I hope not, because Whitmer looks like a lost cause.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
lavuuk153 said:
It might just be me, but I see one guy who is clearly above the other two. One guy has a 7.4 Y/A with a 2.3% INT% and the other two have 4.7, 6% and 6.9, 4.7%. I want the 1st guy listed starting and getting the overwhelming majority of the snaps, health pending.

One guy played against MD and Michigan under a disaster of a coach behind the worst OL play I've ever seen.

Another played against the meat of the schedule under a new midseason regime

And the third, who actually won games, played against the weakest part of the schedule after the team had a chance to...I won't quite call it improve, but you get the idea.

The hope you seek will not be found under center. It's about 3 feet forward.

Reaction Score
Also, is it just me, or does this running game look like Foley isn't completely in charge of it?

It's probably my paranoia, but this does not look like classic Foley run game. I'm wondering how much of the control of the run game and the OLine belongs to Cummings...
I wondered the same thing. Foley lines even when he took over last year I vividly remember them blocking to the second level. This line seems to like to fall back. Still better than the GDL line though.

Reaction Score
blah blah..sample size...there isn't much here. You would need to include last year's stats to show something tangible, which I really discount because of the vastly different schedules each guy played. But, I agree that Casey is better, he's just not so much better that his absence is the cause of our offensive offensiveness and that his return is some panacea. I also think the two QB thing is dumb. BD had the whole offseason to pick a guy, he should have be picked a guy.

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
WHITMER, C. 2 101.6 20-44-0 45.5 255 1 39 127.5
Cochran, Casey 1 94.7 17-31-1 54.8 171 0 24 171.0

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant lay out 2013 numbers and look at how stark the differences are.

Reaction Score
My gut tells me a Tuesday announcement means a possible medical redshirt for CC. I hope not, because Whitmer looks like a lost cause.

Yeah, the word "Formal" in formal announcement Tuesday scares me. Hopefully we are just reading too much into it.

If Casey gets a medical redshirt and we burn Boyle's redshirt suddenly Boyle and Casey swap classes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah, the word "Formal" in formal announcement scares me. Hopefully we are just reading too much into it.

If Casey gets a medical redshirt and we burn Boyle's redshirt suddenly Boyle and Casey swap classes.
????????

Casey already redshirted (2012). If we redshirt him again he loses the year.

Reaction Score
One guy played against MD and Michigan under a disaster of a coach behind the worst OL play I've ever seen.

Another played against the meat of the schedule under a new midseason regime

And the third, who actually won games, played against the weakest part of the schedule after the team had a chance to...I won't quite call it improve, but you get the idea.

The hope you seek will not be found under center. It's about 3 feet forward.

I get there was a difference in the difficulty of the opponent and that the Offensive Line is the real key, but if Cochran is healthy I don't understand how someone can want a different QB under center. At the very least, Cochran has proved he can win the games that we should win. Boyle was a disaster which makes sense because he was thrown to the wolves and Whitmer is what he is...Cochran has the lovely combination of showing positive results in game situations and youth. I'd feel much better about this season with Cochran under center with Whitmer as the backup and Boyle getting a year to learn/grow and then challenge for the starting job next year or be a capable backup.

Reaction Score
????????

I think players can apply for a medical redshirt which would give them a 6th year. I think Bennett was given one a few years back after his knee exploded for the 8th time.

Reaction Score
????????

6 year medical redshirt. Casey gets a free Master's degree (he's smart enough to get it). Maryland's QB CJ Brown is on his 6th year.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Did Casey have a documented injury in 2012? If yes, he could get a waiver. The thing is while all redshirts (shy of a mandatory year due to transfer) are technically medical redshirts, the bulk are merely taking advantage of the five years to play four seasons rule. The NCAA normally is very lenient if there were two seasons legitimately lost due to injury but seldom grant waivers if one of the missed seasons was just the school holding the kid out for a year.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I hope you meant had.

I also hope that if he did have a broken wrist the (then) leadership was diligent enough to file that paperwork on time. When (I can't remember his name) the QB from Wake transferred to Cincy for his fifth year, he would have qualified for a waiver if the true freshman season he lost due to an injury (he lost another to injury a couple years later) had paperwork filed with the NCAA on his injury. As Wake did not file it, he did not get the waiver and his eligibility (he only played three seasons total) expired after year five.

Reaction Score
pepband99 said:

Was he hurt his freshman year? if there's no documented injury from his freshman year he is not eligible for any medical redshirt this year.

Reaction Score
I hope you meant had.

I also hope that if he did have a broken wrist the (then) leadership was diligent enough to file that paperwork on time. When (I can't remember his name) the QB from Wake transferred to Cincy for his fifth year, he would have qualified for a waiver if the true freshman season he lost due to an injury (he lost another to injury a couple years later) had paperwork filed with the NCAA on his injury. As Wake did not file it, he did not get the waiver and his eligibility (he only played three seasons total) expired after year five.

Mauk

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Was he hurt his freshman year? if there's no documented injury from his freshman year he is not eligible for any medical redshirt this year.
Not sure if you just missed the posts a couple minutes before you but yes he broke his wrist or hand Freshman year. I thought hand but they said wrist. In any event it was definitely the injury that put the QB discussion to rest that year. In the event that Casey misses the rest of the year due to a concussion, this would be a clear cut 6 year situation (sometimes they can be sticklers over it I think).

The only things that could prevent it would be failure to file paperwork his Freshman year (imagine the further PP outrage....) or the NCAA just giving the good ole shaft to UConn. Both seem equally likely.

Reaction Score
The answer should be a definite yes. He had a broken wrist.
Some great thoughts... would I want CC in there FULL TIME going forward. Absolutely. But, if he can't go and the prognosis is bad, them medically redshirt for the whole year and go with Boyle...flipping the parties involved in distancing the year between.

Never like to look back at the past regime but couldn't help but think if better decisions were made regarding a highly touted Michael Nebrich and he didn't leave to put up incredible numbers at Fordham. Cudos to him but if he had played instead of...maybe we would not be having this discussion. Soooooooooo..... let's see what Tuesday brings and hopefully a bottle of Aleve for Casey is the cure along with some Always for some of you out there to relieve the weekly Boneyard PMS.

Hey, I don't know the story behind the story but I trust in HCBD and this very professional coaching staff in balancing short term wants against long term needs....

Reaction Score
Not sure if you just missed the posts a couple minutes before you but yes he broke his wrist or hand Freshman year. I thought hand but they said wrist. In any event it was definitely the injury that put the QB discussion to rest that year. In the event that Casey misses the rest of the year due to a concussion, this would be a clear cut 6 year situation (sometimes they can be sticklers over it I think).

The only things that could prevent it would be failure to file paperwork his Freshman year (imagine the further PP outrage....) or the NCAA just giving the good ole shaft to UConn. Both seem equally likely.

Yes I was reading on my phone and missed the other responses .. .

Reaction Score
Lose-lose as far as I'm concerned. As much as we all want him out there this kid's life isn't worth us having an outside shot at a bowl vs a Sun Belt team.

I agree. This is pretty serious, I don't see CC playing against Boise.

A major determinant of sport-related concussions is an athlete's prior history of concussions. Research suggests that if someone has already received one concussion, they are 1-2 times more likely to receive a second one. If they've had two concussions, then a third is 2-4 times more likely, and if they've had three concussions, then they are 3-9 times more likely to receive their fourth concussion.

Reaction Score
I agree. This is pretty serious, I don't see CC playing against Boise.

A major determinant of sport-related concussions is an athlete's prior history of concussions. Research suggests that if someone has already received one concussion, they are 1-2 times more likely to receive a second one. If they've had two concussions, then a third is 2-4 times more likely, and if they've had three concussions, then they are 3-9 times more likely to receive their fourth concussion.

I'm still thinking there is a more than 50% chance we don't see him again. I really hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom