Sunday Gravy - Quinnipiac, Holy Cross Hockey East Thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sunday Gravy - Quinnipiac, Holy Cross Hockey East Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My attendance arguments aren't lies, they're based on my own two eyes from the games I've attended at XL as well as information I've gotten through the grapevine about how some other HE schools feel about UConn's attendance claims. But that's not an argument relevant to this thread or this topic.
Which schools are upset about UConn's attendance numbers?

Reaction Score
Btw I think the PC game is midweek because UConn wants that one that way too. I don't have the numbers but of the games I saw last year PC was probably the 2nd biggest draw and crowd "intensity". You are right about Maine (scheduling) and they will forever try to make a few big games mid week events if they can. They will also play a few non-conference mid week games. The downtown business and after work crowd like them.

Reaction Score
Which schools are upset about UConn's attendance numbers?
I hate to sound like one of those idiot conference realignment "insiders" but I do have friends and people I've come upon throughout my years following the sport who work in the athletic departments of multiple HE schools, not just BU. I've been told through the grapevine, and actually not from my friends at BU, that they believed UConn inflated their home attendance numbers at many home games in the first year in an effort to ensure they'd lead the conference in attendance. The line of thinking on the other school's part was this wasn't necessary as the league was so happy with how UConn's attendance was doing in their first year just based on the eye test that even if they hadn't placed first they far exceeded the expectations of the league. Whether these beliefs about inflated numbers are true or to what extent, that's not material, UConn has had excellent attendance. But to answer your question, that's what others in the league had perceived based on their own experiences at XL as well as pictures from games and other reports. Again, really not the most important thing in the world and nothing to lose sleep over.

It's also worth noting that UConn is not the only school that's been mentioned on this topic. Lowell has repeatedly found ways to magically shove 7,000+ people into an arena that sat 6,500 BEFORE they removed a bunch of seats for renovations. I've actually been told by those with direct knowledge that Lowell has purposefully oversold high profile games hoping people with tickets wouldn't show up so they could increase their attendance number for that game. BU being one of those times it occurred, I can tell you with absolute certainty there were nowhere near 7K people in that arena.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bb
I didn't go to every home game but I made quite a few and I actually was surprised that the number of people in the building seemed like more than the announced crowd a few times. But I think a building like the civic center it's really tough to estimate the crowd especially when it is on the smaller side because it is so spread out. And for good or ill at the XL UConn draws a lot of suits so it's less raucous than say UMaine! Makes even a good crowd seem smaller. Not saying I don't believe what your friends are saying but that might be partly perception on their part too. The crowds have definitely been very good the last two years in any case. Better than I think anyone expected honestly.

Reaction Score
I hate to sound like one of those idiot conference realignment "insiders" but I do have friends and people I've come upon throughout my years following the sport who work in the athletic departments of multiple HE schools, not just BU. I've been told through the grapevine, and actually not from my friends at BU, that they believed UConn inflated their home attendance numbers at many home games in the first year in an effort to ensure they'd lead the conference in attendance.

Your sources are the voices in your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom