Sunday Games Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Sunday Games Thread

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Just back from the Oregon State game. Reili Richardson was the difference for ASU today. She made OSU pay for sagging off and daring her to shoot. Ibis is terrific, but knew she was going to get her points today. Finally caught up with OSU today, not having a strong defensive post presence and strong defensive rebounding post. Blueprint is there on how to play OSU. ASU is an even better defensive team this year--no slouch. I really thought Rueck should have run a clear out for Slocum at end of 1st overtime. ASU is too good defensively to try and rub someone off a pick. Destiny could have created a jump shot, gone to hoop, or, if doubled dished. Rueck has to fix this as OSU has not been good at end of quarters when having the ball with less than 20 seconds.

Pivec kept OSU in the game today. Could have (should have) lost in regulation, but Pivec wouldn't allow it. Pivec is great. FT shooting murdered OSU today. OSU has been very good FT shooting team the past 4 games. That really hurt them today. Time to move on to next game.

Although I understand the potential advantages of taking advantage of Slocum's speed, it--from an outsider's perspective--seemed to me that today OSU played much better with Slocum on the bench. A bit too much hero-ball from her imo, and not enough Pivec.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So who gets Pac-12 POTW this week?

Ionescu: 31 pts, 5 rebs vs. ASU; 21 pts, 12 rebs, 12 assists vs. Arizona.
Smith: 27 pts, 17 rebs vs. UW; 34 pts, 15 rebs vs. WSU.
Anigwe: 29 pts, 23 rebs vs. WSU; 30 pts, 18 rebs vs. UW.
Ibis: 22 pts, 8 rebs vs. Oregon; 28 pts, 13 rebs, 3 blocks vs. OSU.
Pivec: 14 pts, 11 rebs vs. Arizona; 19 pts, 9 rebs, 7 assists vs. ASU.

Those numbers by Ionescu, Smith and Anigwe are just ridiculous. I could see Ibis getting a look because she helped lead ASU to such a significant win.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
So who gets Pac-12 POTW this week?

Ionescu: 31 pts, 5 rebs vs. ASU; 21 pts, 12 rebs, 12 assists vs. Arizona.
Smith: 27 pts, 17 rebs vs. UW; 34 pts, 15 rebs vs. WSU.
Anigwe: 29 pts, 23 rebs vs. WSU; 30 pts, 18 rebs vs. UW.
Ibis: 22 pts, 8 rebs vs. Oregon; 28 pts, 13 rebs, 3 blocks vs. OSU.
Pivec: 14 pts, 11 rebs vs. Arizona; 19 pts, 9 rebs, 7 assists vs. ASU.

Those numbers by Ionescu, Smith and Anigwe are just ridiculous. I could see Ibis getting a look because she helped lead ASU to such a significant win.

I'd vote for Ibis. Toughest opponents and two games on the road.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There seems to be an unwritten rule that POW comes from a team that won both of their games during the week, although that got violated at least once this year w/ McDonald. That might rule out Ibis despite her being deserving of the award. You could pretty much give it to Smith every week. Ionescu was certainly POW worthy. Maybe Anigwe for something different this week. How is that for hedging my bets?

Reaction Score
Just back from the Oregon State game. Reili Richardson was the difference for ASU today. She made OSU pay for sagging off and daring her to shoot. Ibis is terrific, but knew she was going to get her points today. Finally caught up with OSU today, not having a strong defensive post presence and strong defensive rebounding post. Blueprint is there on how to play OSU. ASU is an even better defensive team this year--no slouch. I really thought Rueck should have run a clear out for Slocum at end of 1st overtime. ASU is too good defensively to try and rub someone off a pick. Destiny could have created a jump shot, gone to hoop, or, if doubled dished. Rueck has to fix this as OSU has not been good at end of quarters when having the ball with less than 20 seconds.

Pivec kept OSU in the game today. Could have (should have) lost in regulation, but Pivec wouldn't allow it. Pivec is great. FT shooting murdered OSU today. OSU has been very good FT shooting team the past 4 games. That really hurt them today. Time to move on to next game.

Scott made a lot of coaching mistakes today but not the one you suggested ( relying on Slocum on the last offensive play. She was way off today and probably would have chucked up an ill advised shot. That said the last play called was not really one of his best. As someone else said, Slocum was a liability in the second half rather than a asset this game. Especially on defense against Richrdson. Why he put Slocum on her is beyond me. She is not a good defender. Why do you think Scott sat her so much. He should have sat her more. She did very little in the game to justify trusting her with the last offensive series. Not having Tudor really hurt in this game. If anyone I would have set up a shot for Goodman, who unfortunately had fouled out. . They were expecting it to be Pivec.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Destiny is caught between being the one who can break down a defense, & running the OSU offense. Hard to navigate for her right now. She & Rueck will get better. At the end of the 1st overtime, OSU needed to open up the court. Destiny is the best at going 1-on-1. ASU did a great job plugging up the middle. I was suggesting having the other 4 OSU players "clearing out", going near the sidelines, and letting Destiny go 1-on-1. I know I have confidence in her going 1-on-1 if she has room to navigate. A "clear out" you see in the NBA game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom