Sun v. Mystics - The Final | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sun v. Mystics - The Final

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Congrats to the Mystics--this game is essentially over. Difference was JJ picking up her 4th relatively early in the third which made her sit and Meesseman just used and abused both Brionna Jones and Morgan Tuck to get her team back into it. She's been incredible. Should be Finals MVP.

Meesseman is MVP. No brainer. :D

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
One of the highest level series I think the WNBA has seen. I know the league overall was down this year with so many players missing, but both of these squads were legit. Mystics have to be the title favorite next year if they can keep their core there. Meesseman has to be an absolute dream to coach....ridiculously skilled and a consummate team player. Her and EDD might be the smoothest players in the league and they are both impossible to match up with. I've never been a huge EDD fan but she worked her butt off tonight and came up huge when it counted. Congrats to her.

Connecticut is in an interesting situation. I wonder if Miller will be able to keep the same core of players if they'll experience turnover. Their starting 5 is as good as any starting 5 in the league and all of their players are in the prime of their careers, but I believe of Williams, Banham, JJ and Tuck will command larger salaries next year with their rookie contracts finishing up. Stricklen I believe is done too with her contract. The team obviously plays extremely well together so I imagine their core would like to stick together, but who knows what will happen. Only Alyssa/Jasmine Thomas are on contract according to this:

I hope the starting 5 sticks together and that they can nab one of LA's posts to help with depth. They have a great thing going and play much better than the sum of its parts.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I couldn't be happier for Elena Delle Donne. She overcame injury adversity, first with a jammed knee at the start of the season, then a broken nose midseason and having to wear a mask, and then a herniated disk in the finals. And despite this, all she did was post the first 50-40-90 season in WNBA history. I've never seen her show so much emotion. It was obvious this season and this title meant a lot to her.

And how the Mystics missed her when she wasn't there.
  • Record in games where EDD played more than 3 minutes: 26-4 in regular season, 6-2 in playoffs.
  • Record in other games: 1-3 in regular season, 0-1 in playoffs.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hope the starting 5 sticks together and that they can nab one of LA's posts to help with depth. They have a great thing going and play much better than the sum of its parts.

I know one LA post that is familiar with the Sun, though I'm sure they wouldn't take her back ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I know one LA post that is familiar with the Sun, though I'm sure they wouldn't take her back ;)

Lol for real. Sun had markedly better chemistry without Chiney. They need a backup for JJ rather than someone like Chiney who commanded starting minutes. Thomas at the 4 and JJ at the 5 worked fantastic for the Sun. Problem was, Tuck and B. Jones were the post backups. I'm not sure why they didnt go with Plaisance, especially since they traded their first round draft pick for her. Was she injured or something? Either her or Anigwe wouldve done a better job than Tuck/B Jones

Reaction Score
Congratulations to the Mystics on Baltimore–Washington’s first pro basketball title in 41 years

Reaction Score
I agree. Not a Tolliver fan but everyone else on that team is good people. Especially happy for Mike T. He's been toiling a long time on the sidelines. CT played a tough series.
Toliver tried to play hero ball in the 3rd period and it almost cost the Mystics. In the 4th period she just concentrated on initiating the offense and making sure EDD and Meesemann got their touches.

I thought the two key shots of the game were made by Natasha Cloud. She was 0-4 from three then she hit a huge one to give the Mystics the lead. The Sun was up 70-67 and she hit another one to tie the game. The Mystics played great after that shot and won the game. EDD, Meesemann and Toliver deserve credit for winning the championship but without Cloud there would be no championship. She has improved tremendously since she was a freshman at Maryland. She had none of the skills she has now at that time.

BTW, I love Alyssa Thomas. What an outstanding series she had. I hope she gets some consideration for the national team but her shoulders probably will prevent it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Also, couldn't stand Atkins when she was in college, but man look what she became once she got out of Aston's hands!!

I'm hoping Celeste Taylor does not have to follow in the same path -- the college part, that is ;) .

Atkins is playing awfully well. She and Powers really bring energy to the attack.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Problem was, Tuck and B. Jones were the post backups. I'm not sure why they didnt go with Plaisance, especially since they traded their first round draft pick for her. Was she injured or something? Either her or Anigwe wouldve done a better job than Tuck/B Jones
Soon after Theresa Plaisance arrived in Connecticut, it was reported that she had had back problems all year, and therefore couldn't play significant minutes. They gave up a promising young post player to get her just to be a backup for JJ, and apparently couldn't use her for that purpose.

I wonder if her back issues were fully disclosed to the Sun before the trade. If they were not, the Sun should be entitled to additional compensation from the Dallas Wings for Anigwe (or they should get Anigwe back if they want her).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of the highest level series I think the WNBA has seen. I know the league overall was down this year with so many players missing, but both of these squads were legit. Mystics have to be the title favorite next year if they can keep their core there. Meesseman has to be an absolute dream to coach....ridiculously skilled and a consummate team player. Her and EDD might be the smoothest players in the league and they are both impossible to match up with. I've never been a huge EDD fan but she worked her butt off tonight and came up huge when it counted. Congrats to her.

Connecticut is in an interesting situation. I wonder if Miller will be able to keep the same core of players if they'll experience turnover. Their starting 5 is as good as any starting 5 in the league and all of their players are in the prime of their careers, but I believe of Williams, Banham, JJ and Tuck will command larger salaries next year with their rookie contracts finishing up. Stricklen I believe is done too with her contract. The team obviously plays extremely well together so I imagine their core would like to stick together, but who knows what will happen. Only Alyssa/Jasmine Thomas are on contract according to this:

They gave us a great series. The game was close through 3 quarters. Regardless of what you may think of EDD, she has proven to be a warrior. In spite of all of her injuries, she managed to pull it together for the final and most important game of the season.

Meesemann’s play was critical, but the Mystics don’t win this game or the series without Delle Donne. It’s being reported that EDD played with 3 herniated discs last night. Ouch!!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Congrats to the Mystics--this game is essentially over. Difference was JJ picking up her 4th relatively early in the third which made her sit and Meesseman just used and abused both Brionna Jones and Morgan Tuck to get her team back into it. She's been incredible. Should be Finals MVP.

Great call. You were absolutely correct. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So, now that this year is over, who will win next year?

Assuming Stewie and Sue Bird are back at full strength and with MR looking like a real WNBA Center, do they jump over the Sun and become the biggest threat to the Mystics? I think so and boy would I love to see that series unfold. Probably the Storm would win because of the same motivation factor that drove the Mystics this year.

Other opinions?

Reaction Score
I'm picking Seattle over Vegas. Health is very huge as we saw this season. Meesemann is a free agent so hopefully she'll return to the Mystics.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm picking Seattle over Vegas. Health is very huge as we saw this season. Meesemann is a free agent so hopefully she'll return to the Mystics.

So your point is EDD will have medical issues going forward? I expect Meesemann to resign with the Mystics. She appears very happy and the feeling is clearly mutual.

Reaction Score
So your point is EDD will have medical issues going forward? I expect Meesemann to resign with the Mystics. She appears very happy and the feeling is clearly mutual.
Meesemann loves Coach Thibault and the Mystics. I'm not 100% convinced that she will resign with the Mystics. She may want to play overseas for the rest of her career. As far as EDD, she's been hurt two straight finals. If she is hurt again in the playoffs, I don't think she'll tough it out like the previous two times because she has a title now.

Reaction Score
The Mystics were a dysfunctional organization for so long. Some talented players came through Washington over the years but they never seemed to find any success. Enter Thibault.

EDD has taken a ton of heat over the years for her decision about college, perceived lack of toughness, forcing a trade out of Chicago, and her inability to be completely healthy. No one should doubt now she is a warrior and is immensely talented. I hope she is able to heal this off season and come back strong next year as well.

The Sun and Miller have built a good thing. There isn't a superstar on the team but their starting 5 works extremely well together. I will be curious to see if they can stay intact and make another run at it.

Reaction Score
Seattle will be the team to beat. They have way too many weapons. They were still a good team without Sue and Stewie. The Sun have the 10th & 11th picks in next years draft. The Mystics will be pretty good because their bench players could easily start. I also expect Vegas, Chicago and Minnesota (Napheesa will be 1st team all WNBA this upcoming year) to be good.

Reaction Score
Seattle will be the team to beat. They have way too many weapons. They were still a good team without Sue and Stewie. The Sun have the 10th & 11th picks in next years draft. The Mystics will be pretty good because their bench players could easily start. I also expect Vegas, Chicago and Minnesota (Napheesa will be 1st team all WNBA this upcoming year) to be good.
Seattle has Ezi, a 7th pick in the draft, and possibly Ramu back before she represents Japan in the Olympics. Seattle could be scary good next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At the 2018 FIBA World Cup in Tenerife, the U.S. won, and Belgium finished 4th. Belgium gave us a very tough semi-final game. We won by 93-77, but trailed at halftime. I ran into Coach Mike at halftime and said, "Emma is too good." He agreed.

The tournament MVP was Stewie. The All-Star 5 also included Taurasi, Ndour, Cambage, and Meesseman.

The top scorers were Cambage, Meesseman, Nurse, and Stewie.

The top rebounders were Meesseman and Cambage.

Emma was the best player there not named Stewie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom