Sun v. Mystics - The Final | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Sun v. Mystics - The Final

Reaction Score
That was a great finals, but the refs had way too much influence in that last game. If CT had been able to play full speed and full strength on defense without the potential for fouling out after several weak, even phantom calls, they may have been able to build a greater lead and the outcome might have been different. Alyssa Thomas on the bench made things much easier for the Mystics. It was neck and neck through most of the game, even while the best defensive player for CT had to play carefully and even sit awhile. Washington fans should take those refs out for a drink or something.

The Sun were not picked by many to go as far as they did. They have a great coach and great coaching is a rare thing, so don't count them out for next year. They have a lot of talent and chemistry and are getting two first round picks next year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice Player's Tribune Article on EDD from Professional and devoted Mystics fan Bradley Beal

Supporting EDD and the team.

1570877468499.png

But he also goes through the Mystics Squad with alot of insight.

Also adds alot of interesting insight into Tolliver and specifically her interactions with him as an Assistant Coach for the Wizards.

And if that is not enough, his comments on

1) Female coaches in the NBA
2) Improving the Pay Scale in the WNBA

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just back from Saturday morning chores (farmers' market, grocery stores, etc.) and some thoughts on this over late morning cup of coffee and apple cider donut (!). Thought of the teams in this way:

Injuries/Health.
- Seattle. The tape of Stewie looked good, but will that progress into "game shape?" Sue is not suffering from as bad an injury but she's had a lot of them and age is starting to creep up. Will Loyd's ankle malady get stronger? If (mostly) yes, watch out.
- Washington. This pretty much centers around EDD, who -- for whatever reason -- falls prey to injuries. If she's (mostly) ok and if Meesseman resigns, watch out, as well. This is a team where Myisha Hines-Allen didn't get off the bench in the playoffs...and most teams would snap her up.
- Phoenix. Ok, time to address the DT in the league: is Diana ok? Affects everything from the Mercury to the U.S. National Team.

Team Make-Up/Chemistry
- Los Angeles. Parker. Fisher. Williams. Parker and Williams can add to the mix, but also hurt the mix. I thought Fisher had his best moments when, interestingly, both were out and he had to use a depleted squad.
- Las Vegas. Feels like Bill's total of three guards (McBride, Plum, Young) is often less than the sum of it's parts. Having watched her since high school, I think Young can be a perfectly fine point guard, but I'm not sure it maximizes her talents. While Plums is still a bit more of a "shoot-first" PG, I think she's improved her distribution a bunch. I'd move her to PG, with Lindsay Allen as a back--up (if she returns from her ACL injury), keep Kmac at off-guard and move Jackie to wing.
While I hear those that think Liz and A'ja get in each other's way, I can't see that changing. Laimbeer will give it another season to work it out. Plus, he's got Hamby to spell them.

A Question Here or There
- Chicago. What does Wade do with KLS in her second season? Once again, how does one take advantage of an obvious skill-set.
- Connecticut. Some contracts are running out. Who comes back? If JJ, Alyssa T. and Williams are on the court, I think they're in pretty darn good shape.
- Minnesota. What about Robinson at PG? Will offense run a bit more through 'Pheesa? And, putting an injury question in here, will Jess Shepard be back/back in top shape? Once the latter, she and Collier will be special.

Stay tuned
-
Indiana. Catchings nees to make a good hire and both of them need to decide how they want to ground this team.
- New York. If they move to Brooklyn do you really want Smith coaching this unit? Durr's return will help, but I think a coaching change is absolutely necessary.
- Altanta. What about Angel McCoughtry? Will she come back? If so, with the Dream? Or do they cut ties with each other?
- Dallas. If Sky and Mo'Jeff are both back, the backcourt suddenly becomes filled out. Would expect the Wings to use their draft choices to bolster the front line.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just back from Saturday morning chores (farmers' market, grocery stores, etc.) and some thoughts on this over late morning cup of coffee and apple cider donut (!). Thought of the teams in this way:

Injuries/Health.
- Seattle. The tape of Stewie looked good, but will that progress into "game shape?" Sue is not suffering from as bad an injury but she's had a lot of them and age is starting to creep up. Will Loyd's ankle malady get stronger? If (mostly) yes, watch out.
- Washington. This pretty much centers around EDD, who -- for whatever reason -- falls prey to injuries. If she's (mostly) ok and if Meesseman resigns, watch out, as well. This is a team where Myisha Hines-Allen didn't get off the bench in the playoffs...and most teams would snap her up.
- Phoenix. Ok, time to address the DT in the league: is Diana ok? Affects everything from the Mercury to the U.S. National Team.

Team Make-Up/Chemistry
- Los Angeles. Parker. Fisher. Williams. Parker and Williams can add to the mix, but also hurt the mix. I thought Fisher had his best moments when, interestingly, both were out and he had to use a depleted squad.
- Las Vegas. Feels like Bill's total of three guards (McBride, Plum, Young) is often less than the sum of it's parts. Having watched her since high school, I think Young can be a perfectly fine point guard, but I'm not sure it maximizes her talents. While Plums is still a bit more of a "shoot-first" PG, I think she's improved her distribution a bunch. I'd move her to PG, with Lindsay Allen as a back--up (if she returns from her ACL injury), keep Kmac at off-guard and move Jackie to wing.
While I hear those that think Liz and A'ja get in each other's way, I can't see that changing. Laimbeer will give it another season to work it out. Plus, he's got Hamby to spell them.

A Question Here or There
- Chicago. What does Wade do with KLS in her second season? Once again, how does one take advantage of an obvious skill-set.
- Connecticut. Some contracts are running out. Who comes back? If JJ, Alyssa T. and Williams are on the court, I think they're in pretty darn good shape.
- Minnesota. What about Robinson at PG? Will offense run a bit more through 'Pheesa? And, putting an injury question in here, will Jess Shepard be back/back in top shape? Once the latter, she and Collier will be special.

Stay tuned
-
Indiana. Catchings nees to make a good hire and both of them need to decide how they want to ground this team.
- New York. If they move to Brooklyn do you really want Smith coaching this unit? Durr's return will help, but I think a coaching change is absolutely necessary.
- Altanta. What about Angel McCoughtry? Will she come back? If so, with the Dream? Or do they cut ties with each other?
- Dallas. If Sky and Mo'Jeff are both back, the backcourt suddenly becomes filled out. Would expect the Wings to use their draft choices to bolster the front line.

I love the WNBA. I like the action, and I like to follow my favorite UConn grads as they move on to the professional level, as well as watch our alumni grow and mature. The W is a nice “filler” during the college off season.

First night is 6 days away, the first exhibition game is only 22 days away. Then we’ll be in our glory and have lots of fodder for discussion and debate.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Soon after Theresa Plaisance arrived in Connecticut, it was reported that she had had back problems all year, and therefore couldn't play significant minutes. They gave up a promising young post player to get her just to be a backup for JJ, and apparently couldn't use her for that purpose.

I wonder if her back issues were fully disclosed to the Sun before the trade. If they were not, the Sun should be entitled to additional compensation from the Dallas Wings for Anigwe (or they should get Anigwe back if they want her).

I spoke to Theresa in mid-August and she told me that she had injured her back packing and moving her stuff after the trade.
I still wonder why Miller didn't attempt to use her at all in the playoffs since she was capable of playing (as evidenced by some garbage time minutes). Maybe she fell out of game shape during her recovery or just didn't show anything in practice. I probably will never know the real reason.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interestingly, ratings for Game 5 of the 2019 WNBA Finals down 51% from the last Game 5 which was the 2017 finals involving the Lynx and Sparks. That's a big difference.

SI's Richard Deitsch thinks broadcasting on ESPN2 (2019) rather than ESPN (2017) may have something to do with it. He's probably right. I also think the rivalry between the Lynx and the Sparks, the star power on both teams (headlined by Parker and Moore) and the size of the LA market may also explain the part of the difference.

Reaction Score

For the first time ever, it was available in Canada, and I pvr-ed several games this year, including most of the semis, and I watched most of the finals live. It was on TSN. No wait, it was usually on TSN4, sometimes TSN2, maybe once on TSN... but wow, it was wonderful to be able to watch for a change!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Whatever the possible underlying reasons, not a great time for these viewing numbers with Collective Bargaining coming up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom