Sun v Lynx UConn Alums & Holly Rowe | The Boneyard

Sun v Lynx UConn Alums & Holly Rowe

Reaction Score
Last night's WNBA Round #1 playoff game featured 4 UConn Alum and the crowd liked it.

Tiffany Hayes & Olivia Nelson-Ododa for the Sun vs Napheesa Collier & Dorka Juhasz on the Lynx. The Lynx are under-manned losing 90-60, but especially for the Lynx UConn alum played virtually the entire game. Pheesa got a late frustration technical for a push to Dijonai Carrington after a couple of taunts.

Not well-attended, lots of open seats & likely the same for Game #2 Sunday.

Fun thing about ESNP personality Holly Rowe who I sat close to last night and have met at the WNCAA Finals in San Antonio a couple years back. When she gets up to walk to court to an end-of-period interview she is followed by a chorus of "Hi Holly's" all the way down the court. It's a thing and I've seen it many times as Holly is just a personable in real life as she appears on the TV screen, but it's funny if you are in the stands watching and all of the sudden there is an audible wave as Holly goes to the Lynx end for an interview - "Hi Holly".

Walking out of the arena after the game there was Holly being Holly standing to the side huddled with 3 gray-haired female fans, just being personable.

A note on Rebecca Lobo too whom I've sat close to several times & NEVER seen her turn down a fan selfie or autograph - especially mom's with kids.

It must be difficult, but I think they realize the "larger than life" image they have to so many of us.

Reaction Score
Last night's WNBA Round #1 playoff game featured 4 UConn Alum and the crowd liked it.

Tiffany Hayes & Olivia Nelson-Ododa for the Sun vs Napheesa Collier & Dorka Juhasz on the Lynx. The Lynx are under-manned losing 90-60, but especially for the Lynx UConn alum played virtually the entire game. Pheesa got a late frustration technical for a push to Dijonai Carrington after a couple of taunts.

Fun thing about ESNP personality Holly Rowe who I sat close to last night and have met at the WNCAA Finals in San Antonio a couple years back. When she gets up to walk to court to an end-of-period interview she is followed by a chorus of "Hi Holly's" all the way down the court. It's a thing and I've seen it many times as Holly is just a personable in real life as she appears on the TV screen, but it's funny if you are in the stands watching and all of the sudden there is an audible wave as Holly goes to the Lynx end for an interview - "Hi Holly".

Walking out of the arena after the game there was Holly being Holly standing to the side huddled with 3 gray-haired female fans, just being personable.

A note on Rebecca Lobo too whom I've sat close to several times & NEVER seen her turn down a fan selfie or autograph - especially mom's with kids.

It must be difficult, but I think they realize the "larger than life" image they have to so many of us.
Really cool to see that. From watching Holly, she seems like an exceptional human being. Rebecca, too, but Holly has this unmistakable light. That engagement and connection between the fans and the "personalities" (athletes, media, etc.) will continue to help grow the game!

Reaction Score

caseyb7- - I've told this story before:
Rebecca Lobo's freshman year CD heard Rebecca joking to a teammate about the old people clutching, always there.
And went up to her really pi--ed, telling RL to NEVER disrespect any of UCONN's fans, old or young!
The fans are the life-blood of their program and ALWAY's find the time for them!
Rebecca's says she's never forgotten that to this day!

Reaction Score
When Holly was dealing with her cancer several years ago the outpouring of affection from everyone in all the sports she covers was tremendous!
The hugs and kisses from the athletes and coaches were fantastic!
She is so respected and loved!
She was just inducted into the BB Hall of Fame! Long overdue!

Reaction Score
While we’re talking about Holly Rowe, I’d like to bring up this incredible interview she did with Marine Johannes in French to make Johannes feel more comfortable. Talk about going above and beyond!

That was pretty cool. Folks give Holly a hard time for a few mistakes and rarely does she get the love & praise for doing something this with Marine. That was so cool. Marine had a little smile on her face. Well done, Holly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
caseyb7- - I've told this story before:
Rebecca Lobo's freshman year CD heard Rebecca joking to a teammate about the old people clutching, always there.
And went up to her really pi--ed, telling RL to NEVER disrespect any of UCONN's fans, old or young!
The fans are the life-blood of their program and ALWAY's find the time for them!
Rebecca's says she's never forgotten that to this day!
I had not heard this story before. I have heard Geno say that in '95 Rebecca was under unbelievable demands for her time both by the press and by fans. He states that he's never seen anyone handle it better, before, or since.

Rebecca is extraordinarily gracious and personable, not only giving you her time but making sure that she personally connects with you. You never feel like those interactions are checking the box. So, apparently, she learned that lesson from Chris well and internalized it.

With very few exceptions, I have found every UConn player and coachIng staff, both men and women, to be readily accessible and generous with their time. Rebecca, Chris, Shea and Geno all stand out, as does Kara Wolters.

Reaction Score
The team was at the game last night along with Geno and his wife.
Screenshot_20230914_141557_Instagram.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom