Sun Over Lynx | The Boneyard

Sun Over Lynx

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sun don't make it look easy, but these away wins are huge. Up by 10 with 3 minutes left, they hang on to win by 4. Rebounding and scoring efficiency (lead by Stricklen from deep) ruled the day. JJ dub-dub, Banham played well in front of her home town crowd... good to see.

Collier looks great for a rookie. That's very impressive when you consider the huge step up in competition.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Was it in Anne Donovan's last season as Sun coach that the team started out 7-1, and then missed the playoffs and were barely a .500 team for the full season? I certainly hope we are not going to see that scenario repeated.

The announcers pointed out that the Sun are one of the few teams (possibly the only team) with all 12 intended roster members healthy and available (not injured or overseas). When other teams get their impact players back (and when the Sun inevitably suffer some injuries), the current euphoria is not likely to continue. Nonetheless, I hope and expect that they will remain NEAR the top of the league standings.

Reaction Score
Was it in Anne Donovan's last season as Sun coach that the team started out 7-1, and then missed the playoffs and were barely a .500 team for the full season? I certainly hope we are not going to see that scenario repeated.

The announcers pointed out that the Sun are one of the few teams (possibly the only team) with all 12 intended roster members healthy and available (not injured or overseas). When other teams get their impact players back (and when the Sun inevitably suffer some injuries), the current euphoria is not likely to continue. Nonetheless, I hope and expect that they will remain NEAR the top of the league standings.
I think this Sun team will stay near the top for the duration. This is a really special Sun team that has the guts to go farther than a 2nd round exit than the last 2 years. They are grinding out wins left and right (small margins too) which is huge.

Reaction Score

Yes, that was in 2015. They had a bunch of players get injured that season. Ogwumike was out all season; Thomas, Bentley, Elizabeth Williams all spent several games in street clothes on the bench.

In 2018 they also started 7-1, but struggled after Alyssa Thomas was injured. However, they finished the regular season strong.

All of this is to say, you're right, good health makes a significant difference! Let's hope the Sun stay healthy and strong and keep grinding out these wins.

Reaction Score
If Jonquel Jones gets hurt, if Alyssa Thomas gets hurt, if Courtney Williams gets hurt, if Jasmine Thomas gets hurts, if any of these get hurt, they will have trouble winning much. That is the real consequence of giving away Chiney and Lexie. And I'm sure other teams know it and when it gets closer to the end of the season, there will be some players who try to rough up the Sun. Staying healthy is going to be key. But, if they do, I see no reason why they can't take a great run at a championship.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Jonquel Jones gets hurt, if Alyssa Thomas gets hurt, if Courtney Williams gets hurt, if Jasmine Thomas gets hurts, if any of these get hurt, they will have trouble winning much. That is the real consequence of giving away Chiney and Lexie. And I'm sure other teams know it and when it gets closer to the end of the season, there will be some players who try to rough up the Sun. Staying healthy is going to be key. But, if they do, I see no reason why they can't take a great run at a championship.
"...giving away Chiney …"???

They didn't give her away; it was a forced trade, just as it was with Tina Charles and Katy Douglas further back in Sun history. Just as the Sky didn't "give away" EDD; that was the same situation.

One player-favorable consequence of the low salaries in the WNBA is that start players can, more or less painlessly, threaten to sit out a year if they aren't sent to the team or city that they want to be in. The economic sacrifice of doing so is not great, which gives them leverage that NBA or other professional male players do not have.

Reaction Score

They didn't give her away; it was a forced trade, just as it was with Tina Charles and Katy Douglas further back in Sun history. Just as the Sky didn't "give away" EDD; that was the same situation.

One player-favorable consequence of the low salaries in the WNBA is that start players can, more or less painlessly, threaten to sit out a year if they aren't sent to the team or city that they want to be in. The economic sacrifice of doing so is not great, which gives them leverage that NBA or other professional male players do not have.
Agree with everything you said, except - for the reasons you stated - the Sun (and Sky in EDD's case) did pretty much 'give away' Chiney and Tina.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well they definitely gave away Brown

Reaction Score

I think you're being a bit pedantic. Yes, I exaggerate a little, but the Sun certainly didn't get anything like fair value for Chiney. They handled it the best they could, I'm not criticizing them, but essentially they were forced to give her to LA and get nothing much back. In the Tina trade, they got Alyssa Thomas, who is no slouch, so that wasn't so bad. They also got Kelsey Bone, who played pretty well for them for awhile and eventually got them Courtney Williams when they traded her. For Katie Douglas, the Sun got Tamika Whitmore, who didn't do much for the Sun, and Ketia Swanier with the draft pick, who didn't do much either, but there seemed to be potential there. With the Chiney forced trade, they will maybe get some depth in the draft. They're unlikely to get a starter. So, essentially, they virtually gave her away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom