Sun @ Lynx - 6/17/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sun @ Lynx - 6/17/17

Reaction Score
Lynx unblemished no longer after 98-93 loss to Sun
“It starts with defense,” Sylvia Fowles said. “We have kind of been getting away with it and tonight they (took advantage of it). They ran us to death. They screened us to death. … That is definitely something we’re going to take into (account).”
“We couldn’t get it done,” Reeve said. “We couldn’t knock them off their stride. … We had problems in every scheme that we tried to play. I don’t think we had the conviction to take them out of stuff. We let them run their stuff. … We had no answer defensively.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Jasmine Thomas :cool:

Its still early..... but one could make the argument that if you were redrafting the 2016 draft.... that Jonquel Jones should have been picked #2. Though this probably isnt the best place to make that argument :p

Reaction Score

Its still early..... but one could make the argument that if you were redrafting the 2016 draft.... that Jonquel Jones should have been picked #2. Though this probably isnt the best place to make that argument :p
You're probably right. You can't teach size. And when coupled with mobility, that is a potent combination, as we are now seeing.

Reaction Score

Absolutely not, cuz then JJ would have gone to San Antonio. Fourth, or even third (sorry Morgan, and I'm still hoping that things work out with your knees), but not second.

Reaction Score
You're probably right. You can't teach size. And when coupled with mobility, that is a potent combination, as we are now seeing.

This was the rationale when Minnesota selected Amber Harris #4 in the 2011 draft, but that didn't work out so well. Amber Harris was a mid-major prospect (just like Jonquel Jones), so the comparison to Jones was out there, but 2011 was before Curt Miller's WNBA time, so he probably wasn't scared off to Jones. You could even say Amber Harris was a more sure bet because she very nearly brought her Xavier team to Final Four, while Jones never brought George Washington to such prominence.
Let me ask you this: In the very unlikelihood that San Antonio passes on Jefferson in favor of Jones, does San Antonio take the Chelsea Gray + #18 deal trade deal offered by Miller? Let me take that further. Would Miller have been better off not making any trades involving the 2016 draft and keeping Elizabeth Williams and keeping Chelsea Gray and drafting Jefferson at #3? Wait.... hindsight demands that you ignore that you already have Bone and Chiney, and that you should draft Jones regardless of need and regardless of the likelihood that the UConn fan base would torch the Mohegan Center for passing on Jefferson.
You see, the woulda shoulda couldas just get too complicated.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I didn't catch the game but not surprised by the outcome. The Lynx eked out a win the last time these two teams played in Minnesota. Athletic teams with quick backcourts are a problem for the Lynx who had 13 turnovers last night and 20 turnovers the last time these two teams played in Minnesota.

Interesting that Alexis Jones remains nailed to the bench. Is her knee still bothering her?

Reaction Score
Interesting that Alexis Jones remains nailed to the bench. Is her knee still bothering her?

Reeve only plays rookies in garbage time. Rookies tend to make mistakes, and every possession counts in a tight game like this.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to watch JJ go against Griner, but I just looked at the schedule and they don't play them until August -- at which point the Sun and Mercury play, like, 3 times in 3 weeks. The WNBA schedule seems so wonky; there's a lot of teams playing each other in bunches with little turn around. The worst, IMO, is when there's a home and away series one game after another, with a single travel day between the games before it's the same teams but in a different arena.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reeve only plays rookies in garbage time. Rookies tend to make mistakes, and every possession counts in a tight game like this.

True, Reeves does like her veterans. Then again, there are rookies and and then there are rookies. I guess there's a reason 6 guards were taken ahead of Jones.

I sure hope Reeves can squeeze another championship out of this veteran group.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't catch the game but not surprised by the outcome. The Lynx eked out a win the last time these two teams played in Minnesota. Athletic teams with quick backcourts are a problem for the Lynx who had 13 turnovers last night and 20 turnovers the last time these two teams played in Minnesota.

I watched all of it. The Sun shot very well and won the battle of the boards big time.

Minnesota got a lead by turning the Sun over. In the second half, the Lynx tipped several balls that they couldn't corral. Then, when the Sun got a second chance, they scored. The Sun did get turnovers that helped them take the lead in the 4th.

The Lynx actually won the battle of turnovers, 17-13. But the odd stat was points off TOs, which the box score doesn't show. The announcers note it, so you can find out from the replay, but it was something like: Connecticut got 25 points off 13 Lynx TOs, but Minnesota got only 15 points off 17 Sun TOs.

In terms of Jonquel, she was a local kid--Riverdale Baptist and GW after transferring. I thought she would be really good, especially at rebounding. JJ went #6. The only player ahead of her who surprised me by going early was Banham at #4. Courtney Williams at #8 is now playing well, as are Tiffany Mitchell at #9 and Bria Holmes at #12. Add in Stewie, Moriah, Morgan, and the injured Aerial Powers (#5),and that is a good draft class.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
4th Quarter of Sun v Lynx

7:22 Montgomery turnover
6:16 Whalen turnover; Steal Thomas
6:13 Thomas running layup made
5:50 Whalen turnover; steal Jones
5:07 Whalen turnover; steal Jones
5:01 Banham 3PT shot made
2:34 Brunson turnover; steal Thomas
2:31 Thomas running layup made

Not how you would expect a veteran group to close out a tight game.

Reaction Score
Those perimeter turnovers you listed were pretty painful for the Lynx. They led to easy transition baskets. Jasmine was jumping the passing lanes like she was McCoughtry. Even Brunson's turnover was on the perimeter. She was out there doing trying to be fancy and I think she dribbled it off her foot.
You can get burned by jumping the passing lanes too much if the guard fakes the pass and as you jump forward you're leaving your man wide open. Maybe Sun opponents can keep this in mind for future games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, as Cat and Shades note, TOs on the perimeter turned into layups or other forms of easy points for the Sun. Minnesota was in a close game in the 4th quarter, got sloppy, and lost.

I've seen Connecticut a few times this year. I thought this "makeshift" lineup looked very good. Stricken has become a good 3-point shooter, Jonquel can hit from distance, and Jas hit shots and got steals. Courtney Williams hits her jumper with regularity. Alyssa Thomas, who seemed too left-handed and limited, played like an all-star. Both Banham and Jones scored. Minnesota is a good defensive team, but they didn't look the part yesterday.

Frankly, I thought that the Sun were a borderline playoff team, but they impressed me yesterday. They played a veteran undefeated team on the road and outplayed the former champs.

Reaction Score
This was the rationale when Minnesota selected Amber Harris #4 in the 2011 draft, but that didn't work out so well. Amber Harris was a mid-major prospect (just like Jonquel Jones), so the comparison to Jones was out there, but 2011 was before Curt Miller's WNBA time, so he probably wasn't scared off to Jones. You could even say Amber Harris was a more sure bet because she very nearly brought her Xavier team to Final Four, while Jones never brought George Washington to such prominence.
Let me ask you this: In the very unlikelihood that San Antonio passes on Jefferson in favor of Jones, does San Antonio take the Chelsea Gray + #18 deal trade deal offered by Miller? Let me take that further. Would Miller have been better off not making any trades involving the 2016 draft and keeping Elizabeth Williams and keeping Chelsea Gray and drafting Jefferson at #3? Wait.... hindsight demands that you ignore that you already have Bone and Chiney, and that you should draft Jones regardless of need and regardless of the likelihood that the UConn fan base would torch the Mohegan Center for passing on Jefferson.
You see, the woulda shoulda couldas just get too complicated.
It does get complicated. But if San Antonio knew what they see in Jones now, they probably would have taken Jones with the second pick, not because Moriah is not fantastic, she is, but because they already had Danielle Robinson. It probably would have worked out well for them. The problem for CT taking Moriah number 3 would be that you would have Jasmine Thomas, Chelsea Gray, and Moriah all natural point guards. Although, it would have been a good problem to have. I think he could have made it work. And I would have loved having Moriah in CT. But it appears that Jones is going to develop into a real superstar with great size and agility. I have long believed having the best player on the court is really important, especially in the playoffs. So, though I love Moriah and Chelsea Gray and Elizabeth Williams are great players, I think Jones is better (or will be) and therefore you take a player like that over any lesser player.

In regard to the Chelsea Gray +18 deal, I don't think SA would have taken that and they would probably be in a better place than they are now. But of course, we really don't know how much Jones' play right now is based on the coaching she is getting from the Sun coaches.

I wish we could have both Moriah and Jones. That would be unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the play of both Alyssa Thomas and Courtney Williams when they were in college,especially Williams when UConn played South Florida. She's smart, she's quick, she just understands the game. And very confident. Alyssa Thomas is a coach's dream; she plays so hard, she's strong, she's the ultimate team player. Look at the all-around game in those stats last night. The team is really fun to root for, and will only get better as they mature, and get players back. I just love teams that run. Oh, and Jones could really develop into a force. Playing alongside Chiney won't hurt her at all.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how Miller will handle all the egos when everybody returns, starting with Bentley in about a week. He didn't do so well last year. Bone was a big headache, and he had Bentley pouting if she was spending too much time on the bench. When Chiney returns, will Alyssa Thomas be moved to the SF, where it'll be unlikely that she plays as well as she is now, but you never know. The team three point shooting will take a hit for sure.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how Miller will handle all the egos when everybody returns, starting with Bentley in about a week. He didn't do so well last year. Bone was a big headache, and he had Bentley pouting if she was spending too much time on the bench. When Chiney returns, will Alyssa Thomas be moved to the SF, where it'll be unlikely that she plays as well as she is now, but you never know. The team three point shooting will take a hit for sure.

Shades- - -If I were Coach/GM Miller I'd trade Bentley for some necessary pieces to the Sun puzzle. I've never been a big fan of hers as she is so inconsistent. One night she'll shoot 12 of 14 for 30+ points then the next night she'll go for 2 of 14 for 4 points!
With that fragile ego! That trade will also free up more time for Courtney Williams who's a firecracker waiting to go off! Plus CW plays better defense than Bentley!

Reaction Score
Shades- - -If I were Coach/GM Miller I'd trade Bentley for some necessary pieces to the Sun puzzle. I've never been a big fan of hers as she is so inconsistent. One night she'll shoot 12 of 14 for 30+ points then the next night she'll go for 2 of 14 for 4 points!
With that fragile ego! That trade will also free up more time for Courtney Williams who's a firecracker waiting to go off! Plus CW plays better defense than Bentley!

I'm curious which team would want to trade for Bentley, considering most teams have their starting SG's established, and Bentley has a rep for not liking to be on the bench. She'd have to adjust any attitude.

Reaction Score
I'm curious which team would want to trade for Bentley, considering most teams have their starting SG's established, and Bentley has a rep for not liking to be on the bench. She'd have to adjust any attitude.

Shades- - - there are several teams that have some injuries to their G's at this time and can rotate her in at SG & PG when injured players come back!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The Sun showed Alex a great deal of trust signing her to a long term contract this year. Her response statistically has been mediocre although her effort to play within the offense and to put more effort into defense was evident, at least to my eye. She has also left the team for a shot at the Belarus Olympic team mid-season. Courtney, on the other hand has seized her opportunities with great production and contagious energy. I think she has earned the starting role and that Alex to prove she's better to win it back. Easy for me to say that, we'll see how Coach/GM Curt manages this tough personnel situation.

G - GS - MPG - FG% - 3P% - FT% - OREB - DREB - RPG - APG - SPG - BPG - TO - PF - PPG
10 - 4 - 26.4 - 50.0 - 33.3 - 91.7 - 1.5 - 3.4 - 4.9 - 1.8 - 0.3 - 0.1 - 1.7 - 1.7 - 12.7 Courtney 2017
7 - 7 - 27.1 - 32.8 - 30.8 - 72.2 - 0.0 - 1.4 - 1.4 - 3.4 - 0.8 - 0.0 - 1.4 - 2.7 - 8.4 Alex 2017

Reaction Score
If I'm reading your chart right, Williams is a significantly better rebounder, which is also important.

Here's a clip from an article last year:
When Curt Miller came to the Connecticut Sun, his first gig as a WNBA coach, he made it clear one of his goals was to blow up a culture he believed was partially responsible for the team not making the playoffs for three straight seasons.
He planned to modify body language that implied defeat or frustration when things were not going well. A long-time Division I college coach, Miller knows opponents often feed on such behavior.
So it was quite noticeable when Alex Bentley, one of the Sun's two All-Stars last season, reacted to being taken out of games by draping a towel over her head as she sat on the bench and by hanging on the periphery of team huddles during timeouts.
For Bentley, the low point of the behavioral study was Connecticut's loss to Indiana on June 5 when she played only 12 minutes and scored two points. She appeared out of sync and out of touch.

Reaction Score
Rachel Banham is a wonderfully talented player. Really glad the Sun stopped the "uconn" player as opposed to winning. I loved Kelly Faris as a college player but she was never a WNBA player. Banham was the right choice. I haven't enjoyed watching the Sun until now. They are so exciting. Want Tuck back but who needs Bentley now. Leave Courtney in there.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
If I'm reading your chart right, Williams is a significantly better rebounder, which is also important.

Sorry, some formatting disappeared when I pasted the numbers into the post window. Courtney is a much better shooter and rebounder at this point, has slightly fewer turnovers, but fewer assists, also. I think Alex's assists are an indicator of her attempt to keep her game inside the offense, rather than hold the ball and go one-on-one. Considering the way Jasz and Alyssa have been dishing it out lately, I don't see the assist disparity as much of an issue. It indicates that Courtney is moving without the ball and is on the shooting end of the assist more than Alex was. If it's me at the helm, Courtney starts and Alex is presented with the challenge and opportunity to win back the job.

Rachel Banham is a wonderfully talented player. Really glad the Sun stopped the "UConn" player as opposed to winning. I loved Kelly Faris as a college player but she was never a WNBA player. Banham was the right choice. I haven't enjoyed watching the Sun until now. They are so exciting. Want Tuck back but who needs Bentley now. Leave Courtney in there.

The last couple games Rachel has looked so much better than at anytime since her draft selection. She came in off rehab a bit more fit/trim, and as her game comes up to speed, I can begin to see what Coach Curt saw in her. If her progress continues, I will happily eat some crow (I attended the draft, and was not happy to see the Sun select her at #4... I thought it should have been JJ or Ariel Powers). But the deed was done and as long as she's wearing "traffic cone orange", I'm in her corner... the better she is, the better the team is. It seems Alex's hiatus has benefited both of the "bench" guards and the battle for minutes should be very interesting.

I should also mention Shekinna Stricklen. She appears to be in great shape this season and in Tuck's absence has really stepped up her game. Prior to the season, I was concerned that her days may be numbered. She's labelled "a shooter" but her numbers were not too good, and her D was "ok" at best. Great to see all this positive development.

Last thing... team chemistry looks to be as good as I have in at least the past 5 or 6 years. Interactions on the court are positive, the bench is fully engaged in the game, and there seems to be a lot of trust and support on display. I have been able to have a few conversations and brief interactions with almost all of the players and I have to say they appear to be a fine group of young women who embrace their role in support of the team and the league... easy to root for, no Bones (;):p) about it.

WNBA GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[/team chemistry looks to be as good as I have in at least the past 5 or 6 years. Interactions on the court are positive, the bench is fully engaged in the game, and there seems to be a lot of trust and support on display. I have been able to have a few conversations and brief interactions with almost all of the players and I have to say they appear to be a fine group of young women who embrace their role in support of the team and the league... easy to root for, no Bones (;):p) about it.

WNBA GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY QUOTE]
JJ and Courtney seemed to have some kind of simpatico. They are similar players at completely different heights. They both work hard, make shots, and rebound well. They seem to be a big part of what is defining the character of this team.

Reaction Score
Most games Bentley has bad shooting games , but still makes sure to get her shots. Good players find other ways to contribute, when not shooting well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom