Sun get 3 and 4 - Worst Result Possible | The Boneyard

Sun get 3 and 4 - Worst Result Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah. KML probably goes to Seatlle, although they need someone to replace Lauren Jackson. Elizabeth Williams, maybe?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
She's not getting much mock-draft love right now but I see Stokes in the top 10 by the end of the season.

Reactions: HGN

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Agler said they need length at the rim. I'm guessing Williams. I'm surprised that Welch is not getting more press. She should be top 3 IMO.

Reaction Score
I just see Seattle taking Williams with the #1 pick. Tulsa should go after another post player, with a little bit more mobility. I would draft either Elem Ibiam(South Carolina), Isabelle Harrison (Lady Vols), or Reshanda Gray (Cal). If this happens, the Sun can go after KML or additional pieces.

Reaction Score
I just see Seattle taking Williams with the #1 pick. Tulsa should go after another post player, with a little bit more mobility. I would draft either Elem Ibiam(South Carolina), Isabelle Harrison (Lady Vols), or Reshanda Gray (Cal). If this happens, the Sun can go after KML or additional pieces.

i agree with that. i see both tulsa and seattle going for a post player.

Reaction Score
Lewis is a great scorer. Great scorers make great pros. None of the others has anywhere near Lewis's offense. I don't know if she is quick enough to play the 2 or strong enough to play the 3 but she will put fannies in seats with that stroke. I see her as the No 1 pick right now but there's a season to play.

Reaction Score
Blessing in disguise if Conn misses the playoffs (I know its not good to wish that, but the Sun need the talent), and get a shot at Stewert or Loyd. Look at Phoenix and Minnesota's roster. They are filled with Top 3 picks. Conn will need top talent to compete for a championship. PHX and Minnesota were really bad for a long time before they got good.

PHX
2004: #1 Taurasi and #1 Taylor (dispersal draft),
2005: #3 Sandora Irvin (bust)
2006: #2 Cappie Pondexter
2007: #1 pick (Lindsey Harding traded for Tangela Smith)// WNBA Champions
2008: Taylor stays home in Australia for Olympics, PHX misses playoffs
2009: #5 DeWanna Bonner
2010-2012: Cappie demands trade, gets traded for Dupree, PHX pretty much not a big factor
2013: Draft #1 Griner
2014: Best team in W

Minnesota, starting in
2006, #1 Augustus, miss playoff
2007: #1 Tangela Smith in dispersal draft traded for #1 Lindsay Harding, #4 Noelle Quinn. miss playoff
2008: #3 Candice Wiggins, miss playoff
2009: #4 Renee Montgomery
2010: #2 Rebekkah Brunson via Dispersal draft, trade #1 Charles and Montgomery for Lindsay Whalen (#4 pick in 2004, ALL-WNBA PG) and #2 Monica Wright, miss playoff
2011: Draft SUPERSTAR #1 Maya Moore, wins WNBA Championship.

Compared to Conn
2011: 21-13 season
2012: 25-9, Tina is MVP
2013: Draft Faris at #11, miss playoffs
2014: Trade #1 Charles (MVP) for #1 Ogwumike, #4 Alyssa Thomas, and 2013 #5 Kelsey Bone
2015: #3 and #4 draft picks, 2013 #11 Gray will play?
2016: ??

Conn is only in year 2 of their rebuilt. Losing out on KML stings, however if they land Stewert, they will be one of the best team, similar to Minnesota after drafting Moore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Blessing in disguise if Conn misses the playoffs ...

In a league where only a couple teams miss the playoffs, three straight years without would be an embarrassment. But I already see the gameplan. Blame Chiney and trade her for draft picks. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Reaction Score
In a league where only a couple teams miss the playoffs, three straight years without would be an embarrassment. But I already see the gameplan. Blame Chiney and trade her for draft picks. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Except they are only in year 2 of their rebuilding. They traded their MVP away for a future All-Star in Chiney, and they have a few nice pieces, but getting someone like a Isabelle Harrison and maybe like a Brittany Sykes (2016) is totally different from getting KML and Stewert or Loyd.

Minnesota and PHX missed the playoffs in consecutive years to form their nucleus. I expect Tulsa MIGHT be the next great team in a few years with Diggins/Sims/Johnson/Cambage?/?. Chicago's roster has a bunch of #2-3 picks with Delle Donne, Fowles, Prince, Vandersloot. Seattle was good for A LONG time by getting lucky and getting back to back #1 with Jackson and Bird. ATL has #1 McCoughtry and #1 Lyttle picked up in the dispersal draft, all picked up in the same year.

In this league, about 40% of players earn the max (only 100k or so). A team can have about 4-6 MAX players. CONN isn't going to lure any superstar by offering them more money when any team can match. They will have to build through the draft. It's risky of course, and its not great to build a losing culture, but my wish is that Conn plays hard and continue to develop , but misses the playoffs next year and lands a superstar to pair up with Chiney.

Reaction Score
Agler said they need length at the rim. I'm guessing Williams. I'm surprised that Welch is not getting more press. She should be top 3 IMO.
Seattle wont take Williams over Mosqueda-Lewis. Period.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
don't kill me Duke fans, cause i am biased....BUT...why would anyone take Williams over Izzy Harrison? Williams is great on defense but she has not developed at all on the offensive side of the ball.
I don't particularly know the answer - but - up to a point, both the skill set and development opportunities in the pros are different from college. As, obviously, is the game.

So it is possible that it could happen. Things will be clearer once the college season happens, I think.

Reaction Score
You're forgetting whoever the SUN pick they will be coached by Anne Donovan!
Did you see Mitchell Etess' face as the Sun got the 4th pick then the 3rd pick? I thought he was going to have a heart attack! But he does have Anne Donovan!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Lewis is a great scorer. Great scorers make great pros. None of the others has anywhere near Lewis's offense. I don't know if she is quick enough to play the 2 or strong enough to play the 3 but she will put fannies in seats with that stroke. I see her as the No 1 pick right now but there's a season to play.

I disagree that KML is a great scorer...I think she is a great shooter. I think that unless she drops a few lbs and becomes quicker that she will be easier to contain on offense and could be viewed as a defensive liability.

Reaction Score
If The Sun can get a commitment from Torrens for next year, I think they should trade both 1st round picks for a #1 next year.

Reaction Score
I didn't mention KML. If not either of those two, who do you predict they will take?
You guessed that Seattle would draft Williams with the first pick. Unless KML is injured, she'll get drafted before Williams, regardless of the team's need.

Reaction Score
don't kill me Duke fans, cause i am biased....BUT...why would anyone take Williams over Izzy Harrison? Williams is great on defense but she has not developed at all on the offensive side of the ball.
I agree.

Reaction Score
I disagree that KML is a great scorer...I think she is a great shooter. I think that unless she drops a few lbs and becomes quicker that she will be easier to contain on offense and could be viewed as a defensive liability.

I think she is a great scorer. Simmons was a great shooter and a poor scorer. KML led her team in scoring in both her freshman and sophomore years and CT wasn't short of players who could score. She can get her shot off in the blink of an eye coming off screens and IMO is quick and strong enough. In addition she can post up low and unlike most women BB players her shots in close actually go in. I've read a lot of posts over the last few years that call her fat and slow and out of shape. Mostly the same people who said Dolson was fat and slow. And when did defensive skills mean much in the W? I don't watch more than a dozen complete W games a year but I haven't seen defense played much outside of Minn. The W is loaded with athletic players can run fast but who shoot 3-9 from behind the arc on a good night and miss half their layups.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
If The Sun can get a commitment from Torrens for next year, I think they should trade both 1st round picks for a #1 next year.

I don't believe anyone will trade this year's 3 and 4 for next years #1 with out a king's ransom to go with them. We're talking Stewie here.

Reaction Score
I don't believe anyone will trade this year's 3 and 4 for next years #1 with out a king's ransom to go with them. We're talking Stewie here.

To say nothing of the logistics of trading for next year's #1 pick when we don't even know what team will have it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom