Sun Down Again | The Boneyard

Sun Down Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Four years in a row. I know most people don't care, but for those of us who do care, enough already. I know they feel they have their man now in Coach/GM Miller. Most teams in this league that have lottery picks three years in a row turn it around more quickly. We don't even have out lottery pick this year because what I feel was a blunder by trading it away to LA. I think if they finish in the bottom four next year, they may have to start blaming the location. I really don't think players want to play in Uncasville, CT. We have so many good players that requested and received trades to other teams; not to mention Alba Torrez from Spain who was drafted years ago and has stated she wants to play in this league; then why isn't she here.

Reaction Score
IMO there is no one coming out of this year's draft that will be as good a prospect as Jonquel Jones. I am 100% behind that trade still. And the Sun got a year of her playing against WNBA competition already.

A healthy Tuck and Banham, plus Jones and Courtney Williams as second year players and Chiney are a core that is excellent!

Alba Torrens has NEVER stated she wants to play in the WNBA, regardless of what Anne Meyers Drysdale said during the Olympics. She is making a ton of money in Europe and enjoys playing in Spain during the summer.

No Uncasville isn't New York City or Chicago or Los Angeles, so not everyone will want to play here, but they have a good, solid person in Curt Miller, who has players that play hard and fit his style.

With some tweaking to the roster, there is no reason to think this team won't be a playoff team next year and beyond.

I really think the Sun is bright!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I
Alba Torrens has NEVER stated she wants to play in the WNBA, regardless of what Anne Meyers Drysdale said during the Olympics. She is making a ton of money in Europe and enjoys playing in Spain during the summer.
LFB plays in the winter. Sept - Apr. Same with Euroleague.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Four years in a row. I know most people don't care, but for those of us who do care, enough already. I know they feel they have their man now in Coach/GM Miller. Most teams in this league that have lottery picks three years in a row turn it around more quickly. We don't even have out lottery pick this year because what I feel was a blunder by trading it away to LA. I think if they finish in the bottom four next year, they may have to start blaming the location. I really don't think players want to play in Uncasville, CT. We have so many good players that requested and received trades to other teams; not to mention Alba Torrez from Spain who was drafted years ago and has stated she wants to play in this league; then why isn't she here.
Who from this year's upcoming draft would you rather have than Jonquel Jones? Diamond Deshields? Alaina Coates?

Jonquel will be a 2nd-year player next year, and can be expected to make a big leap in her skill and competitiveness. That was a good trade. They said that they looked at who would be available next year before they dealt the pick, and I believe them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the Sun suffer from what most franchises suffer from that fail to make playoffs for a string of years - too many coaches. Fire a coach and a few players bail, hire a questionable coach (been a long time since the success at the start of her career) and you don't attract the quality free agents, replace that coach and shed the players that she brought in and rebuild yet again. They have cycled through Charles, Williams, and Bone as centers for this team in the past four years - not the formula for a successful team.

Reaction Score
Who from this year's upcoming draft would you rather have than Jonquel Jones? Diamond Deshields? Alaina Coates?

Jonquel will be a 2nd-year player next year, and can be expected to make a big leap in her skill and competitiveness. That was a good trade. They said that they looked at who would be available next year before they dealt the pick, and I believe them.
They did not have to trade for her. They could have drafted her instead of Tuck and kept their draft pick. I love Tuck but her knees are always going to limit her.

Reaction Score

Did you read what I wrote? I like Jones. They could have drafted her instead of Tuck instead of trading for her later and losing their draft pick this year.

Reaction Score
As DishNSwish and JoePgh said above and I agree 150%, this years WNBA draft is the worst potential draft in WNBA history! Having J. Jones at 6'6" and athletic with a years experience is worth whoever is the #1 pick this year!
With Tuck & Badham back from injuries and Courtney Williams going through training camp, they'll be almost a top contending team!
The Sun have to trade Bentley, who can shoot 30 points 1 game and go 1 for 17 the next night and her defense is nonexistent! Trade her and S. Strickland for a veteran G to help the young kids mature!
Getting Anne Donovan for Mike Thibault was like getting Mr. Ed for Secretariat!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Well the Sun won tonight. If they only had a PG who could play :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jasmine was terrific tonight. Her only downside was 4 turnovers. In every other way she remains our Iron Woman Warrior Queen. 21 pts, 50% shooting including 3-3 from the 3 and 4-4 from the FT line, 5 rbs, 6 assists, 2 steals... not too shabby.

jasmine-thomas-of-the-connecticut-sun-poses-for-a-portrait-at-wnba-picture-id526047882

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
IMO there is no one coming out of this year's draft that will be as good a prospect as Jonquel Jones. I am 100% behind that trade still. And the Sun got a year of her playing against WNBA competition already.

A healthy Tuck and Banham, plus Jones and Courtney Williams as second year players and Chiney are a core that is excellent!

No Uncasville isn't New York City or Chicago or Los Angeles, so not everyone will want to play here, but they have a good, solid person in Curt Miller, who has players that play hard and fit his style.

With some tweaking to the roster, there is no reason to think this team won't be a playoff team next year and beyond.

I really think the Sun is bright!

Optimism with regard to the Sun is refreshing!

David, in his last Sun column, Jeff Jacobs said, "Alex Bentley, Chiney Ogwumike, Alyssa Thomas, Jasmine Thomas, Jonquel Jones, Morgan Tuck, Courtney Williams, Shekinna Stricklen, Rachel Banham, that's a young, talented roster heading into 2017. And with Alba Torrens, star of the Spanish Olympic team, expected to play next season, this can be a serious, serious team."

Any idea where Jeff is getting this Torrens info?? Overly optimistic? Delusional? I think the best thing to do with Torrens is trade her rights if we can find someone she is willing to play for and who will give up some value for her. Even if she comes here next season, it is highly unlikely she will be a reliable member of the team in years to come (see Sandrine Gruda).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedRabbit84