Sun Cut Anna Prins and Andrea Smith; Kelly Hobbled | The Boneyard

Sun Cut Anna Prins and Andrea Smith; Kelly Hobbled

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
John A reported in the Courant this morning that the Connecticut Sun (after 3 days of practice) have cut Anna Prins of Iowa State and Andrea Smith of South Florida, and that Kelly will not practice until "at least" the middle of next week while she recovers from the injury that she sustained in the 3-OT game against Notre Dame.

I'm surprised that Prins was cut so quickly, as I was that Jessica Moore was not offered a new contract for this year. At this point, it seems that the Sun's entire roster of "bigs" consists of Tina, Misty Mims, and Kelsey Griffin. That's not much depth in the post if anyone gets injured or is in foul trouble. Moore in particular seemed capable of giving 10 credible minutes where needed in games.

I wonder if the Sun expect to fill their needs for post players from the waiver wire -- players cut by other teams?

Anne Donovan was also quoted as saying that Kelly might play at the 3 or even the 4, which made me cringe. Does she really expect Kelly to reprise her power-forward role from two years ago, but this time against WNBA-level competition?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On their roster (at WNBA website updated today) they have listed as F/Cs:

Charles 6-4
Griffin 6-2
Mims 6-3
Chatilla von Ginsven 6-3
Ashley Walker 6-1
Latoya Williams 6-4

And a Johanna Leedham listed at a G/F at 5-11. Kelly's listed as a G.

Still, they might want to pick someone up from the waivers. They have 14 listed now, so they still have at least 3 to cut.

Reaction Score
Sun are 1 player away from a championship season. A recovered Kelly Faris should be sufficient. I was surprised they let Moore go. Prins, not so much.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Prins was never going to make the team. Wasted draft pick.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What about that other big kid they drafted - Dabo I think? Did she ever show up? or was it a wasted pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom