Sun Beat LA | The Boneyard

Sun Beat LA

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I guess this matchup didn't rate an opening post to start a thread....

With two starters out, a huge, gutsy win for the Sun. Chiney outscored and outrebounded big sis. Banham started and played great early on, boosting the Sun to a quick start and substantial lead. Lots of other contributions 1-12. The reward? Phoenix.

Sun are tied with the Lynx in the 5/6 spot. If they can steal one more game on this trip, it would be huge. The schedule starts to turn in the Sun's favor (finally) with 11 of the last 15 at home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LA with Parker has been so inconsistent! This is an unbelievable win for the Sun with both AT and Courtney Williams out again they had a lot of HEART and took it to the Sparks even tho they gave back the lead they held on! There's only 2 people on the Sparks I respect and that's HC Brian Agler and Nneka O, so I was doubly thrilled the Sun won and LA was humiliated to lose to a less than full Sun team! Big confidence builder for the Sun going on!

Reaction Score
Second game with Courtney Williams, one of my favorite players, out for personal reasons. The timing is not going to help her bid for a spot on the all star team. Anyone know what's going on?

Reaction Score
Glad to see the Sun pulled this one off. I’m on vacation now so not really following the games and didn’t know Courtney had missed a couple. Hoping she and Alyssa are back with the team very soon!

psconn

Reaction Score
No idea what Courtney's absense is all about. I sure hope her family is ok.

I think only Chiney has a legit shot at the All-star game this time. Just as well, everyone needs R&R in this crazy season.

I'll reiterate what I said in another thread- If the Sun come back from this trip with two wins it is a huge accomplishment. I felt one win was likely and no wins was possible (glad that's not happening).

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One thing that has stood out this season is that there is a ton of parity. LA started of slowly, then jumped into high gear, and now seem to be floundering. Minny started off slowly, won 7 in a row, then lost to the worst team in the league. The Sun started out strong but are 4-6 in their last 10 games. NY should be much better with all the UCONN players on that team but they seem to have little chemistry. Dallas and Vegas are both improved, but as of now, Vegas would not make the playoffs.

It's surely been a fun and interesting year to follow the WNBA. I hope the parity has brought new fans out to watch games.

psconn

Reaction Score
One thing that has stood out this season is that there is a ton of parity. LA started of slowly, then jumped into high gear, and now seem to be floundering. Minny started off slowly, won 7 in a row, then lost to the worst team in the league. The Sun started out strong but are 4-6 in their last 10 games. NY should be much better with all the UCONN players on that team but they seem to have little chemistry. Dallas and Vegas are both improved, but as of now, Vegas would not make the playoffs.

It's surely been a fun and interesting year to follow the WNBA. I hope the parity has brought new fans out to watch games.

We're at the halfway point and the top 8 teams are separated by only 3 games in the loss column. Then there's the playoff structure that gives the top regular season teams a HUGE advantage. The run for those top spots is going to be intense down the stretch.

Reaction Score
I guess this matchup didn't rate an opening post to start a thread....

With two starters out, a huge, gutsy win for the Sun. Chiney outscored and outrebounded big sis. Banham started and played great early on, boosting the Sun to a quick start and substantial lead. Lots of other contributions 1-12. The reward? Phoenix.

Sun are tied with the Lynx in the 5/6 spot. If they can steal one more game on this trip, it would be huge. The schedule starts to turn in the Sun's favor (finally) with 11 of the last 15 at home.
Mercury will be short-handed tomorrow too. Sun will be their first game without starting PF Sancho Lyttle, who tore her ACL Saturday against Washington and is out for the season.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Sancho is a very good player, but let's not be fooled into any kind of false equivalency here. The Merc would have to lose Taurasi or maybe Bonner and Lyttle, or maybe more to equal the impact to the team of losing both AT and Courtney (if she is still out tomorrow).

The Merc will have significant time for adjustment having 5 days of rest and practice at home leading up to the game. The Sun will be playing their 3rd road game in 5 days.

The loss of Lyttle just slightly moves the needle when you evaluate the probability of a Sun win. Too many other factors in play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sancho is a very good player, but let's not be fooled into any kind of false equivalency here. The Merc would have to lose Taurasi or maybe Bonner and Lyttle, or maybe more to equal the impact to the team of losing both AT and Courtney (if she is still out tomorrow).

The Merc will have significant adjustment time having 5 days of rest and practice at home leading up to the game. The Sun will be playing their 3rd road game in 5 days.

The loss of Lyttle just slightly moves the needle when you evaluate the probability of a Sun win. Too many other factors in play.
So... You're saying it's about a wash, then? :cool:

psconn

Reaction Score
So... You're saying it's about a wash, then? :cool:

What I'm saying is, I don't want to belittle Lyttle, but tonight, less Lyttle matters little. ;)
Taurasi. Griner. Bonner. :eek: If the Sun pull off a win tonight, Sancho's absence is part of the story, but unlikely to be the major reason.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Mercury will now need to rely more than a little on Camille Little now that Sancho Lyttle is done for the year. Sancho played her role on the Mercury very well and will be missed. The Mercury are not as good a team without her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom