Summitt to receive Medal of Freedom | The Boneyard

Summitt to receive Medal of Freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't see this Posted. Sorry if it has. Nice honor from our top ranking WB fan. And well deserved.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...Obama-to-award-summitt-the-medal-of-freedom/1

Reaction Score
I personally think that the women's NCAA tourney trophy should be named for Pat. Why, you ask? Well in reality if Pat Summitt was not the person, coach, ambassador for the women's game, I think we would not have seen the college game at the level it is today. Yes, Uconn did it's part, as did other schools and media outlets, but without coach Summitt and Tennessee's program, would we have seen that game in 1995 on ESPN, between Uconn and The Vol's. Would we have seen women's professional basketball if there had not been a programs like Tennessee's and Pat Summitt? Would Geno be the huge deal that he is if it were not for the Tennessee program and Pat Summitt? Would there young girls playing the game today, and becoming stars, if it were not for a person like Pat Summitt? Yeah, we can argue that without Uconn's program, maybe, women's basketball might not have taken off, but realistically, Uconn had to play Tennessee, and Pat Summitt to become relevant on the National stage. My point being is Pat Summitt''s contribution to the womens game has been instrumental in where the womens game is today. She deserves this honor. Say what you want about her, and her disagreements with Geno, but She is a deserving person of this honor.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I personally think that the women's NCAA tourney trophy should be named for Pat. Why, you ask? Well in reality if Pat Summitt was not the person, coach, ambassador for the women's game, I think we would not have seen the college game at the level it is today. Yes, Uconn did it's part, as did other schools and media outlets, but without coach Summitt and Tennessee's program, would we have seen that game in 1995 on ESPN, between Uconn and The Vol's. Would we have seen women's professional basketball if there had not been a programs like Tennessee's and Pat Summitt? Would Geno be the huge deal that he is if it were not for the Tennessee program and Pat Summitt? Would there young girls playing the game today, and becoming stars, if it were not for a person like Pat Summitt? Yeah, we can argue that without Uconn's program, maybe, women's basketball might not have taken off, but realistically, Uconn had to play Tennessee, and Pat Summitt to become relevant on the National stage. My point being is Pat Summitt''s contribution to the womens game has been instrumental in where the womens game is today. She deserves this honor. Say what you want about her, and her disagreements with Geno, but She is a deserving person of this honor.

PHS has done a tremendous amount for the sport, no doubt. As Geno said, her name is synonymous with women's college basketball. However, I don't think the trophy should be named after her for the following reasons:

1. No NCAA trophy is named after a person, not football, hockey, baseball, none of them. The NCAA isn't about individuals, or coaches, it's about the collegiate athletes.
2. While Coach Summitt is a giant in the sport there are others that came even before her. How do you name the trophy after PHS and ignore the accomplishments of all the others that came before - and after - her?
3. This is probably going to ruffle feathers but, if Coach Summitt hadn't been diagnosed with early onset dementia, would we be discussing this topic? The outpouring of admiration and affection for the lady is well-deserved but people need to consider if their desire to name a trophy after her is based on her accomplishments or something else.

Perhaps there will be a Summitt Award like a Wooden Award somewhere down the line. That would be appropriate and a great honor for whatever young woman wins it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Perhaps there will be a Summitt Award like a Wooden Award somewhere down the line. That would be appropriate and a great honor for whatever young woman wins it.
Maybe for "Coach of the Year"??? I could buy that.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
3. This is probably going to ruffle feathers but, if Coach Summitt hadn't been diagnosed with early onset dementia, would we be discussing this topic? The outpouring of admiration and affection for the lady is well-deserved but people need to consider if their desire to name a trophy after her is based on her accomplishments or something else.

Of course! Like it or not, regardless of how or when Pat Summitt stepped away from the game, there was going to be this type of attention. It's ridiculous to deny that. Did you miss the fan fare of the 1,000 wins? Have you missed the fact that regardless of how well or bad TN plays as a team, they still receive the same type of attention? There is always a bright spot on Summitt and has been, well before the announcement of early onset dementia.

Reaction Score
Of course! Like it or not, regardless of how or when Pat Summitt stepped away from the game, there was going to be this type of attention. It's ridiculous to deny that. Did you miss the fan fare of the 1,000 wins? Have you missed the fact that regardless of how well or bad TN plays as a team, they still receive the same type of attention? There is always a bright spot on Summitt and has been, well before the announcement of early onset dementia.

Sadly, if not for Pat's diagnosis; her 'retirement' would not have received as much attention from the mainstream media. Women's sports and sports figures never do.

Using your example, there was no "fan fare of the 1,000 wins" outside of possibly TN and those of us interested in WCBB. In fact, at this year's women's FF no national news organization outside of the four states involved, sent reporters to cover the games. That was not true at the men's Final Four.

Sad but true fact about women's sports.

Reaction Score
Did you miss the fan fare of the 1,000 wins?
Wow, you eat your fans? That hasn't been done since Roman days.

But seriously, every school has it's local heroes who have things named after them. That's fine for local things. But when you're talking about something that represents all schools, it wouldn't be appropriate or very popular. It would be akin to hanging a banner in Tennessee's basketball arena honoring the many accomplishments of Maya Moore.

Women's basketball is relatively young and not many have had the opportunity to shine. Remember Pat has had 38 years to develop a reputation. Still, outside of Tennessee, except for us Bball fans, not many people have heard of Pat. Now if you want to name a trophy after one of the Kardashians, you'll be onto something.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Just wanted to register my vote against naming the championship trophy for Pat. It should not be named for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom