Summer Men's Basketball Doldrums - Anyone watching any old games? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Summer Men's Basketball Doldrums - Anyone watching any old games?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My favorite 'rush the field' memory was when UConn won the first NCAA woman's national championship - ever, which happened to be in field hockey and happened to take place in Storrs. My roommate and I were walking back from the gym and saw a crowd so we walked over pretty much as the game at ended. Everyone rushed the field, so we looked at each other and ran out started jumping up and down, hugging players, etc. After the a minute we just walked away laughing. We only figured out what had happened the next day when our smiling mugs were on the front cover of the Daily Campus in the middle of the celebration scrum.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think they are finally going to compete for the playoffs. Have made several very savvy moves and picks. I hate them, so this is not good.

I've always had a soft spot for the Jets since their ineptitude reminds me so much of my Mets. Plus my good friend is a Jets fan. I'm a Cowboys fan though, and going to the game this year at MetLife between the two teams. So I won't be rooting for them then!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The crowds just seemed live-er and more exciting back then (pre 2005 ish-to put a number on it) You can’t even rush the floor really anymore after a huge win or take Down the goal Posts in football - granted it was slightly unsafe- but tell me you didn’t love seeing that back in the day when an underdog wud upset a fave at home?

At some places they didn't allow the GP's to come down even back in the earlier eras.

My dad and I attended the Yale @ Princeton game in Palmer Stadium back in mid-November, 1967. It was one of those typical late fall northeastern weather days. In the first half, it was close to 70 degrees and pretty nice. At halftime a wicked bastard cold front came roaring through central NJ and it started raining with thunder and lightning. Back in those days they didn't stop games for anything so they played the second half in monsoonal, wind driven rains while dodging lightning bolts, with the air temp steadily declining. It was miserable for the players and fans. Yale won the game, and we were so soaked we just left right away.

They had clinched the Ivy League champ, so after we were already headed to the car, the Yale cheerleaders, including one George W. Bush, decided to try and take down the GP's at both ends of the field. I think they did get one down and were going after the other one when the Princeton police arrested them all for criminal mischief or something, including our future 43rd POTUS, and threw them all in jail. Princeton took a real dim view of a visiting team coming in and tearing down their GP's.

Speaking of Palmer Stadium, it was allowed to fall into disrepair and they tore it down in the 1990's. It was built in 1914. One of the oldest stadiums in the country, cap 45,000. It was a marvel of architecture in its day. It was horrible to see a piece of history like that torn down. Princeton built
a completely new stadium to replace it.

With all the money Ivy League schools have, you would think they would preserve a beautiful old stadium. Harvard Stadium was built in 1903 and it's still standing and functional. It's expensive, but worth it to preserve history.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Watched the '95 W. regional the other day. Announcer said Ollie & Sheffer finished 1, 2 in the Big East that year. Didn't realize those two were that good together.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Watched the '95 W. regional the other day. Announcer said Ollie & Sheffer finished 1, 2 in the Big East that year. Didn't realize those two were that good together.
Against UCLA

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Against UCLA

Sheffer was a great, fundamental BB player. He could pass, dribble, shoot, rebound, and at 6-5 he could play some D. He wasn't fast, but he could be deceptively quick. When Sheffer was on the floor, you felt the game was always under control, and during his playing years, it almost always was.

Ollie did many things exceptionally well, but his weakness was shooting. Opposing teams could leave him open beyond the arc and DT somebody else. He was a lot like Taliek Brown, except for one big difference he will never escape from: Taliek has the ring and Ollie doesn't, playing on comparably talented teams.Of course Ollie does have the coaching ring and Taliek doesn't, but I think Taliek may be getting ready to join him.

Reaction Score
Sheffer was a great, fundamental BB player. He could pass, dribble, shoot, rebound, and at 6-5 he could play some D. He wasn't fast, but he could be deceptively quick. When Sheffer was on the floor, you felt the game was always under control, and during his playing years, it almost always was.

Ollie did many things exceptionally well, but his weakness was shooting. Opposing teams could leave him open beyond the arc and DT somebody else. He was a lot like Taliek Brown, except for one big difference he will never escape from: Taliek has the ring and Ollie doesn't, playing on comparably talented teams.Of course Ollie does have the coaching ring and Taliek doesn't, but I think Taliek may be getting ready to join him.

Sheffer/Ollie is probably my favorite UConn backcourt duo. There's def. been better guards who've been through here, but that was my favorite combo. They controlled the pace of games so well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Rewatched the first 3 games of the 2014 run over the past 2 weeks or so.

St. Joe's - even on replay I think we are going to lose this game. St. Joe's was the better team that night, but Martelli had no bench and his team ran out of gas.

Villanova - Calhoun calls the run. Highlight of the game.

Iowa State - Cyclones shoot out their butts to keep this game close.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Sheffer/Ollie is probably my favorite UConn backcourt duo. There's def. been better guards who've been through here, but that was my favorite combo. They controlled the pace of games so well.

A couple more guard pairs that were fun to watch were Penders/Bialosuknia in the 1960's and Whelton/Weston in the 1970's.

Penders was a very efficient PG. He once tried to convince me he averaged 16 assists per game while at UConn. A dubious claim, but they didn't keep track of assists back in his day, so nobody can prove him wrong. That's Tommy for you...always quite the character.

He can probably thank Wes for his undeniably gaudy assist totals. Of all the Husky players I've seen from the 1960's on, Bialosouknia is the best pure shooting guard I've ever seen wearing the national flag blue and white. I know that rules out plenty of great shooting Husky guard of more recent eras, but none of them could shoot it from distance like Wes. Even with the disadvantage of a mandatory three year career, Wes would still hold a commanding lead as the most prolific scorer in Husky history if he had enjoyed the benefit of the three point shot during his career. Most of his jumpers came from as far as NBA three point territory. He had classic, pure BB form on his shots. He was magnificent to watch while shooting a BB. With only the 2 point shot, Wes still holds the all time school record for single season ppg average at 28.1 ppg. Donyell Marshall came close at 25.3 his junior season.

Joey Whelton was a scrappy, tough-as-nails PG with a true flair for the dramatic. His behind-the-back, between-the-legs and no-look passes were like watching some kind of continuous, basketball ballet on the court. His long hair flashing back and forth with him dribbling the ball, while the band followed his movements to the beat of the drums was mesmerizing.

Al Weston was a rock at SG. He could hit his jumper from anywhere and always turned in a steady performance that could be relied upon.

C

Chief00

I have two versions of the 1999 title game. One is just the regular CBS broadcast. The other is something like a 5 hour marathon. Extended pre-game and post-game shows on Ch. 3 in Hartford, with the game sandwiched in between.

Tate George and Joe Tessitore, who I assume was the Ch. 3 sports anchor at that time, were broadcasting from the parking lot at Tropicana Field. We were at the game, so afterward we were in a huge crowd behind the broadcast platform engaging in various UCONN cheers, and the cameras kept panning the crowd behind Tate and Joe. Tate even sang a song, "Heaven Must Be Like This."

A wild night that will never be forgotten. We've been to all of the Final Fours, but the first will always remain the best.
Agree, the first one was special. I know Tate has had some issues since, but he was one of just a few media guys who predicted UConn would win. I got there early and had a nice chat with Tate. Also, a sportswriter from the Newark Star Ledger predicted a UConn win.
Ricky’s dad also got there very early and he thought UConn was ready to give Duke a good run. Little did either of us know that his son would offensively keep us in the game until Rip and some others got going.

Reaction Score
I really enjoy rewatching the UConn-Florida final four game in 2014. We scored four points in the first 11 minutes. 4 pts! Then went on to completely dominate the number 1 team for the remainder of the game. Of course, it started with that 11 point run with bookend 3's from DD in a minute and a half. If you look closer, you may be able to witness the best 30 minutes of team backcourt defense in UConn history. Boat and Bazz completely demoralized Wilbeken and Hill. They never were able to get into their half court offense. Boat was a total menace that entire tournament and its a moment the I repeatedly watch with continuous enjoyment.

[edit] its also refreshing to see an inspired and motivated KO. He talks repeatedly about his team playing at a Level 5, as fighters, having ten toes in. All the stuff that made us convinced he was the man is all there in that game. Of course, it makes you wonder still what the hell happened and how the hell did it happen?

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Anyone able to give that link to the compilation of games from over the years posted on line a few times by one of the Boneyarders?

Reaction Score
Anyone able to give that link to the compilation of games from over the years posted on line a few times by one of the Boneyarders?

There's a link to the site above. Click on drop down box for "tcf's stuff" above (immediately to the right of "Amazon") and click on "UConn Basketball Games". It's arranged by season.

Here's the link to it anyway: Welcome to UConn Husky Games!

C

Chief00

Actually, Chief was at a New England prep school yesterday, which has turned out UConn players.

Reaction Score
I watched the opening game at Gampel when we beat St. John’s. Such a fun time with the new building opening coming from the field house. For you young uns go find the 1988 NIT game at the Field House against VCU. It was so freaking loud and we were literally right on top of the court. I also remember a game in 1989 we played UMass there and crushed them. Calhoun versus Calipari in the 4,000 seat field house if you can believe it. Good times!

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Agree, the first one was special. I know Tate has had some issues since, but he was one of just a few media guys who predicted UConn would win. I got there early and had a nice chat with Tate. Also, a sportswriter from the Newark Star Ledger predicted a UConn win.
Ricky’s dad also got there very early and he thought UConn was ready to give Duke a good run. Little did either of us know that his son would offensively keep us in the game until Rip and some others got going.

Was the sportswriter from the Newark Star-Ledger Jerry Izenberg? Jerry is now 88 years old. He has forgotten more about sports than anyone will ever know.

I had the rare privilege of sitting next to Jerry at the pre-game media luncheon for the Texas Bowl in 2006. He was there covering the game for the Star Ledger because Rutgers was playing Kansas State. We discovered we were both from Monmouth Co. and were born in the same hospital. Jerry was living in Rumson at that time, which is in Monmouth Co., and he was writing all his articles and columns from there. He said he only went into Newark once a month to the paper. He's in about every HOF imaginable for sportswriters, and he's frequently seen in TV documentaries. Jerry is a legend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom