Summary article from AP (could be obsolete in 12 h?) | The Boneyard

Summary article from AP (could be obsolete in 12 h?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
ACC adds Pittsburgh, Syracuse from Big East

By JOEDY McCREARY, AP Sports Writer

“We are constantly evaluating the competitive landscape to ensure the conference’s viability for years to come, and this, I believe, has staying power,” ACC Commissioner John Swofford said on a conference call.

“First of all, we are very comfortable with this 14,” he added. “The only thing I would add to that is that we are not philosophically opposed to 16. But for now we are very pleased with this 14. We think it is just an excellent group.”

When asked if any other Big East members could be targets for further expansion—published reports indicate Connecticut and Rutgers could be under consideration—Swofford said “I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to go there.”
Also includes a funny quote from Nordenberg.

Reaction Score
It does sound like he wants to go to 16, and those are probably his two schools (provided Texas and ND don't fall into their all-sports lap).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They also were happy with 12 but a couple of years ago. I just think this is constantly a moving issue for the ACC, Big TEN, SEC, Pac 12 and the Big 12 or whatever it is called now.

It does sound like he wants to go to 16, and those are probably his two schools (provided Texas and ND don't fall into their all-sports lap).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Most telling quote was from Swofford:
Swofford said adding two schools allows the league to renegotiate its 12-year, $1.86 billion television contract that began this season, “and we’re confident that will have a positive impact.”
There's as close to a smoking gun for ESPN's involvement as you are going to find. This massive upheaval is due to ESPN wanting to keep NBC out of college sports market.

We'll be okay but it kind of sucks.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Get ready for UCONN on espn 360

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors