Suicide Squad on HBO | The Boneyard

Suicide Squad on HBO

Reaction Score
Well, find all those superhero movies generally stupid but I turned Suicide Squad off after a half hour. Schlocky acting. Thin story. Predictable villains.

I read an article that movies have gravitated towards these superhero type productions. The merchandising, the toys, video games, etc all spin off it for a money machine. The creativity has now gone to HBO and Netflix and Showtime where they can tell a story and develop a plot over 10-12 hours and 3-5 seasons instead of two hours or less.

Reaction Score
I generally like the comic book spawns, but this movie is an abomination. And Jared Leto in just a few scenes has hopefully ruined his career.

Reaction Score
Superhero movies generally suck.
Superhero movies are so hit or miss to me. I find the best ones use the characters as a starting point to develop a compelling story. The best comic book writers developed flawed characters, and the best movies use those flaws. That's why Superman needed cryptonite. Without it, he was just boring. While it's fun to watch an invincible being crush everyone, it doesn't pull you in. Kind of like Liam Neeson in Taken. I admittedly enjoyed that movie since it was satisfying to watch him destroy child trafficers, but he takes like two punches in the whole movie.

I think you have 3 levels of superhero movie: i) Great movie; ii) Mediocre movie with sexy stars and big action; and iii) Terrible movie with bad acting and direction/production. The problem is that category ii doesn't make much less money (maybe more) than category i, and it's easier and cheaper to churn out. Unfortunately, Suicide Squad forced it's way into category ii with some big names and the misogynists fantasy of Harley Quinn. It really belongs in category iii with the Fantastic Four, Green Lantern and a few others.

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or is that movie unwatchable?

I don't usually turn movies off, but I turned that one off.

Edit: I have to admit that I was initially intrigued with the Harley Quinn character, but that rapidly passed. The actress didn't do much for me acting-wise or visually.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When the trailers for this first came out, it seemed promising, with comic relief on the level of Guardians of the Galaxy, but a little darker and grittier. The finished product wasn't close to that.

There are always going to be plot holes or things that don't make sense in movies, but the ones in Suicide Squad were so big, you have to wonder how no one noticed them when they were putting the film together. For example, the idea behind the Squad was to have a superhero force under government control to deal with superhuman threats. When one of these threats appears, the Squad is sent into the city, not to deal with the villain, but to rescue someone. And the method by which that rescue would take place? A helicopter would fly to the building where this person was, pick them up, and fly out. Why do you need a ground team for that? Just send in the helicopter.

This was never going to be a great film, but it was a missed opportunity for a decent action movie.

Reaction Score
I don't usually turn movies off, but I turned that one off.

Edit: I have to admit that I was initially intrigued with the Harley Quinn character, but that rapidly passed. The actress didn't do much for me acting-wise or visually.

Yeah, I had to turn it off too and I usually like superhero movies. The best one that I have seen in awhile was Logan.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
All of the DC comic book adaptation movies have left a lot to be desired since they started trying to catch up to Marvel w/ an all inclusive universe where all of the various superheroes and villains exist. I'm not hopeful about the upcoming Justice League movie.

The Captain America films have been my favorites during this glutted last decade or so comic book movies, particularly Winter Soldier and Civil War.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom