Reaction Score

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-17_11-53-25.gif
    upload_2016-8-17_11-53-25.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 28

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Add my happiness and agreement to the above comments. Regardless if she were out for the remainder of the Olympics or not, it's great that it's not career threatening for her. I hope she's ready to go at least for the gold medal game, hopefully should we beat France in the semi's...

Reaction Score
The great thing here, I think, is that she can play if she feels she can, without risking damage to herself to the point of not playing for Seattle on her return. Her sense of obligation is too great to let her risk it otherwise. Now, she can make up her mind solely on how she feels.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Its almost time for Sue to go into broadcasting, like Swin is doing, there is no reason for such a great player, and person to risk further injuries.

Remember what Satchel Paige used to say". "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you". At some point, Father Time will catch with with old (old, huh. she's only 35. she's still got similac on her breath) Birdie. Then she'll join the rest of us on the side lines.

Other quotes by the Scatche man:

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter."

"I ain't ever had a job, I just always played baseball."

"I don't generally like running. I believe in training by rising gently up and down from the bench."

"I never rush myself. See, they can't start the game without me."

"I use my single windup, my double windup, my triple windup, my hesitation windup, my no windup. I also use my step-n-pitch-it, my submariner, my sidearmer and my bat dodger. Man's got to do what he's got to do."

"If a man can beat you, walk him."

"It's funny what a few no-hitters do for a body."

"My feet ain't got nothing to do with my nickname, but when folks get it in their heads that a feller's got big feet, soon the feet start looking big."

"One time I snuck a ball on with me and when I went to winding up, I threw one of them balls to first and one to second. I was so smooth I picked off both runners and fanned the batter without that ump or the other team even knowing it."

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second class citizen to a second class immortal."

"There never was a man on earth who pitched as much as me. But the more I pitched, the stronger my arm would get."

"When a batter swings and I see his knees move, I can tell just what his weaknesses are then I just put the ball where I know he can't hit it."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"We have depth at certain positions, that's probably not one of them," Coach Geno Auriemma said. "We're there with Lindsay and Dee. It's more than enough. But now we have to do a great job managing that and making sure, they have to be really smart."

You can't have too many guards. Well, you can have too few. Nice article with quotes suggesting that Sue is not playing tomorrow.

US Women's Basketball's Sue Bird has Knee Sprain

"You don't replace Sue. We all know that," guard and fellow UConn alum Diana Taurasi said . "Been on too many teams with her and I know how valuable she is to a team. Our success is because she's been the quarterback. She's the director of it all. To say we're not going to miss her ... would be silly.

Source: US Women's Basketball Captain Sue Bird has Knee Sprain | NBC Connecticut http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/sports/US-Womens-Basketball-Captain-Sue-Bird-has-Knee-Sprain--390485931.html#ixzz4Hd5orqxs
Follow us: @nbcconnecticut on Twitter | NBCConnecticut on Facebook

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Whether she plays again during this Olympics doesn't really matter......I am just happy its nothing long term
or career threatening. :):cool::D

I agree. Obviously she would love to play a bit at least in the Gold Medal game but at this stage it would have been devastating for her career.
She wants to close out her playing days on her terms not have it dictated by yet another injury.

HGN

Reaction Score
I agree. Obviously she would love to play a bit at least in the Gold Medal game but at this stage it would have been devastating for her career.
She wants to close out her playing days on her terms not have it dictated by yet another injury.
I couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS