OT: - Sue Bird's Uncle Larry | The Boneyard

OT: Sue Bird's Uncle Larry

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I can relate to Sue's fun.

I have the same last name as someone who was a famous NFL quarterback years ago. It's a fairly common name in some parts of the country but not in others. At that time, I was frequently travelling for business to places where it was not a common last name. It got to the point where I'd be checking into hotels and I could see the clerk look at my name and look up to me and I'd just say "No", because I knew that they were going to ask me if we were related.

But if I wanted to have a little fun I'd sometimes say, "Yeah, he's my cousin. I was the one who taught him how to throw a spiral". It worked great if I was shaking hands and introducing myself to somebody sitting next to me on a barstool in the hotel watering hole, too. Then I'd admit I was only kidding.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't mind kidding around about it, but my wife's late brother actually told folks he was related to Glenn Close; claiming she changed the spelling since his name was Klose. And I am not kidding, he was in service and the gate guard when we went to visit him actually asked us if he was telling the truth. Awkward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't mind kidding around about it, but my wife's late brother actually told folks he was related to Glenn Close; claiming she changed the spelling since his name was Klose. And I am not kidding, he was in service and the gate guard when we went to visit him actually asked us if he was telling the truth. Awkward.
Please told me you answered the guard by saying

“I won’t say it’s true but I can say it’s Klose.

Reaction Score
Growing up I had the same last name as a former Red Sox player. I used to refer to him as Uncle <name> too, just like Sue. Fooled a kid in middle school who asked me if i was related when I said yes... quickly recanted, said I was kidding, when he believed me. :D

Reaction Score
Mark Twain, via Huck Finn, didn’t call ‘em lies…said they were just “stretchers”.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have people that ask me if I'm related to Tom Hanks and I always answer yes, he's my older brother. When they clarify what Tom Hanks they were talking about, I still say yes, because we are distant, distant cousins. The reason why I know this is because the actor and I are both dissidents of Nancy Hanks Lincoln.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom