sue bird | The Boneyard

sue bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i find the boneyard response to bird's mvp recognition quite underwhelming. more has been said about those who didn't get recognized. sad commentary.

Reaction Score
Some folk just don't know a good thing when it is looking at them, you know, humans, they are an endless bit of entertainment, good and bad...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
i find the boneyard response to bird's mvp recognition quite underwhelming. more has been said about those who didn't get recognized. sad commentary.

There was a thread several days ago about Sue and MVP. A few of us supported her as an MVP candidate in that thread. Speaking only for myself, I didn't see a need to repeat it again today.

Still, I've always felt that on this board Sue Bird is one of the more underappreciated former Huskies. A reason for that may be Sue's personality which is largely unassuming and tries to deflect attention away from herself. She said last year that she judges herself as a player based only on winning. If that's the measure, there aren't many who've been better than Sue.

Reaction Score
There was a thread several days ago about Sue and MVP. A few of us supported her as an MVP candidate in that thread. Speaking only for myself, I didn't see a need to repeat it again today.

Still, I've always felt that on this board Sue Bird is one of the more underappreciated former Huskies. A reason for that may be Sue's personality which is largely unassuming and tries to deflect attention away from herself. She said last year that she judges herself as a player based only on winning. If that's the measure, there aren't many who've been better than Sue.

yes, i think you hit it on the head, that i feel sue is way underappreciated on this board, and in general. that's why i was so pleased that she got solid support in the mvp voting. geno has said more than once, that you don't win championships without a point guard. and that's why i think, because of whalen, that the lynx will win the title.

Reaction Score
I haven't followed the women's game closely of late. However I did when she played at UConn. I have always loved her game, thought she was/is a hellova talent and has been my favorite womens player to watch.

Reaction Score

How 'bout this response?

Last night Masterpiece Theatre featured an episode of Inspector Lynley which had a murderess who was a dead ringer for Sue Bird!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think there is any lack of respect for Sue on this board - she is the probably the greatest point guard to ever play at Uconn and is acknowledged as such (sorry Jen.) And she is at the head of the discussion of who are the top 5 point guards ever to play the game. But ... Uconn has also had a few players that are or have the potential to be in the discussion of the top 5 players to ever play the game.
As far as this year's MVP - there was a long thread about Sue deserving consideration and she certainly did. But I think none of us really expected her to win or to really challenge the top of the list. MVP is always a strange beast in a team game - big stats do not necessarily correspond to importance to a team, and team performance does not always correspond to the greatness of an indivual player.
I always expect Sue to get some consideration because she is a great player and she makes the rest of her team better.
Not sure exactly what you are complaining about - I don't remember a thread about Tina coming in second, so are we disrespecting her? Or are you so surprised that Sue finished 4th that you think we should be celebrating it?

Reaction Score
How 'bout this response?

Last night Masterpiece Theatre featured an episode of Inspector Lynley which had a murderess who was a dead ringer for Sue Bird!

well, we've seen for many years the way that Sue "buries" opponents , the methodical dagger -like passes, showing no mercy ,as she break their hearts with another last second shot.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any lack of respect for Sue on this board - she is the probably the greatest point guard to ever play at Uconn and is acknowledged as such (sorry Jen.) And she is at the head of the discussion of who are the top 5 point guards ever to play the game. But ... Uconn has also had a few players that are or have the potential to be in the discussion of the top 5 players to ever play the game.
As far as this year's MVP - there was a long thread about Sue deserving consideration and she certainly did. But I think none of us really expected her to win or to really challenge the top of the list. MVP is always a strange beast in a team game - big stats do not necessarily correspond to importance to a team, and team performance does not always correspond to the greatness of an indivual player.
I always expect Sue to get some consideration because she is a great player and she makes the rest of her team better.
Not sure exactly what you are complaining about - I don't remember a thread about Tina coming in second, so are we disrespecting her? Or are you so surprised that Sue finished 4th that you think we should be celebrating it?

you clearly show your lack of respect for point guards in general, and sue bird specifically, when , on the one hand, you say she is at the top of the list of point guards, but then apparently would not consider her among the best 5 players. you're not alone there, but that doesn't make you right. anyway, lots more was said before and after about tina, who i actually thought was the only player more valuable than sue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue is underappreciated by many, but not by her teammates or coaches.

She is playing her way into the HOF, in both Knoxville and Springfield.

Reaction Score
yes, i think you hit it on the head, that i feel sue is way underappreciated on this board, and in general. that's why i was so pleased that she got solid support in the mvp voting. geno has said more than once, that you don't win championships without a point guard. and that's why i think, because of whalen, that the lynx will win the title.

To be sure, Whalen made important contributions to the amazing Lynx turnaround this season. But, to be fair to her teammates, there were others who made significant contributions to what was basically a team effort. Oh, did I mention the contributions of the Rookie of the Year?

Just my opinion, of course.

Peace,

JohnFryer

Reaction Score
To be sure, Whalen made important contributions to the amazing Lynx turnaround this season. But, to be fair to her teammates, there were others who made significant contributions to what was basically a team effort. Oh, did I mention the contributions of the Rookie of the Year?

Just my opinion, of course.

Peace,

JohnFryer

i only meant that with sue and becky gone from the playoffs, the lynx are the only team left with a good point guard. in addition,the rest of their lineup, and bench, are stronger than anyone else's. it's been that way all season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sue had surgery this morning to repair the torn labrum in her right hip. The surgery was performed at the Steadman Clinic in Vail, CO. Sue's doctors say she should be able to resume playing by mid- to late-December. She is scheduled to join her Russian team in January.

Good decision.
I agree. glad she decided to do it now rather than wait. she should be good to go for the Olympics which are next summer, especially if she's good to go in December...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom