Sue Bird Ruminates On WNBA Future | The Boneyard

Sue Bird Ruminates On WNBA Future

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In a recent poll in the WNBA Sue Bird ran away with the Coach category, something like 9 to 1. I think it is fair to say that means she can evaluate talent. So this is an interesting prognostication from Sue:

"If Sabrina and Paige are the ones to take the reins, the game's going to be in great hands and my work here is done," Bird told Insider. "

"The 5-foot-9 Syosset, New York, native says the next generation of WNBA stars are primed to push the point guard position to new heights over the course of their careers the same way she, Staley, and Whalen did. New York Liberty rookie Sabrina Ionescu — who was this year's No. 1 overall draft pick after four incredible years with the Oregon Ducks — is a player Bird has identified as a literal game-changer. And though its still very premature, she says Paige Bueckers — the incoming UConn Huskies superstar whom Bird helped surprise with the esteemed Gatorade Athlete of the Year award — may very well fit the bill as well. "

"You're seeing it in Sabrina, who does even more when you think about her rebounding ability," Bird said. "When you watch Paige play, the first thing is that Paige just has a flair for the game and a swag to her. She can impact in so many different ways at that point guard spot. That's how I hopefully see players like myself, Lindsay Whalen, how we left our mark on that position."

Good article.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is a sign that she is considering calling it quits. I really hope she does, because it is not a good thing to watch an all time greats game and skills diminish in front of your eyes. Always better to leave early.

Reaction Score
From what I read Ionescu's ankle injury the other night was a class 3 sprain, indicating a torn ligament and is likely out for the abbreviated season. Hate to see it:oops:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sue is out with a bone bruise, but she’s playing very well. I think she’s looking at next season and the Olympics, if the pandemic is under control.

Kept it quiet. Sold as a rest day. Jordin will hold the fort

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Perhaps this is a sign that she is considering calling it quits. I really hope she does, because it is not a good thing to watch an all time greats game and skills diminish in front of your eyes. Always better to leave early.

"And early though the laurel grows, it withers quicker than the rose."
A E Housman

Reaction Score
Kept it quiet. Sold as a rest day. Jordin will hold the fort

They need Sue back, Jordan still gets going to fast, and out of control. With Sue in the game the offense flows, all good shooters, Jordan is mostly a 10 feet and in shooter.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
@Bama fan will be reading some of his own more important works at the Huskies Lounge Tuesday evening at 7:30.
Like so many, I love to read it but cannot write it. I was exposed to it early in life. My Dad read poetry and detective novels with equal zeal. The house was full of books and the local library was a short walk. My Dad, one of twelve children, never finished high school but knew more about more things than almost anyone I have ever known. And he wanted us to expand our minds and become well rounded, so we tried! BTW, my collected works remain unwritten and unpublished, so you are spared.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Yea, Rocky, and they will be serving Iron City Beer with kielbasi & sauerkraut.
Hey @Steelerone I left Pittsburgh, Pa. in 1985. Before leaving I drank way too much Iron City Beer. For years it was brewed in the Lawrenceville area of town on Liberty Ave. I read that they moved brewing operations to Latrobe, Pa in 2009. So Iron City is now brewed in the "glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe" that once brewed a big competitor, Rolling Rock. Not sure if IC now sports the famous "33" on its label. ;)

Reaction Score
Is Paige the most celebrated recruit in the media that we've ever had? I can't recall any, except maybe Diana Taurasi, who've received this sort of media attention before they played a game for Connecticut.

Just feels like lots and lots of celebrity. Naturally, I really hope it all pans out. But Coach Geno's style is not to hype recruits, though he will come out and state in a factual manner what he expects each will achieve.

Hoping for great things from this new Husky, that all remain healthy, and that, against all odds. the season is played.

Reaction Score
Hey @Steelerone I left Pittsburgh, Pa. in 1985. Before leaving I drank way too much Iron City Beer. For years it was brewed in the Lawrenceville area of town on Liberty Ave. I read that they moved brewing operations to Latrobe, Pa in 2009. So Iron City is now brewed in the "glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe" that once brewed a big competitor, Rolling Rock. Not sure if IC now sports the famous "33" on its label. ;)
While I was there last month went to a "beer warehouse" and brought back a case of Straubs. It's brewed in Latrobe and only circulated within a certain distance. Goes great into a crock pot of sauerkraut.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
We used to drink Straub's when we went "fishing" for trout in the middle of nowhere, Pa. I think Straub's is still brewed in St Mary's,Pa, which is on the outskirts of nowhere. Yeungling is another popular beer that was just local for over a hundred years. It is still brewed in Pottsville, Pa and in a newer brewery in Mill Creek, Pa along the Juniata River. Stoney's beer, which was owned by Shirley Jones's father, was brewed in Smithton, Pa for years but has now contracted with City Brewers in Latrobe to brew and bottle their brand. I know way too much about Pennsylvania beers, but in the steel mills and mines of Western Pennsylvania, one worked a lot and then drank a lot. :eek::oops:

Reaction Score
Covid-19 certainly changed my life. Going to the doctor or dentist, I now waited in my car until called to go in. We don't go to the grocery unless it's necessary. And so on and so forth. But one thing which don't change is Paige Bueckers and incoming freshmen will be well cared for by Geno and Chris and staff. Frankly UConn is so lucky to have this program. It literally put Storrs on the map.

Reaction Score
In a recent poll in the WNBA Sue Bird ran away with the Coach category, something like 9 to 1. I think it is fair to say that means she can evaluate talent. So this is an interesting prognostication from Sue:

"If Sabrina and Paige are the ones to take the reins, the game's going to be in great hands and my work here is done," Bird told Insider. "

"The 5-foot-9 Syosset, New York, native says the next generation of WNBA stars are primed to push the point guard position to new heights over the course of their careers the same way she, Staley, and Whalen did. New York Liberty rookie Sabrina Ionescu — who was this year's No. 1 overall draft pick after four incredible years with the Oregon Ducks — is a player Bird has identified as a literal game-changer. And though its still very premature, she says Paige Bueckers — the incoming UConn Huskies superstar whom Bird helped surprise with the esteemed Gatorade Athlete of the Year award — may very well fit the bill as well. "

"You're seeing it in Sabrina, who does even more when you think about her rebounding ability," Bird said. "When you watch Paige play, the first thing is that Paige just has a flair for the game and a swag to her. She can impact in so many different ways at that point guard spot. That's how I hopefully see players like myself, Lindsay Whalen, how we left our mark on that position."

Good article.

Sadly, Sabrina is likely out for the season with that 3rd degree ankle sprain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom