Sue Bird knee injury (possibly out for the season) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sue Bird knee injury (possibly out for the season)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Literally all the best players in the WNBA aren’t playing to start the season or the whole season. Taurasi, Bird, Diggins, Moore, McCoughtry, Stewart. I expect the sparks to win the championship year, if not, it would be an underperformance. They have Gray, Beard, Parker, Nneka, Chiney and Jones, Wiese, Brown, Lavender, and more on the bench...

Mystics/Aces look like clear front runners ahead of the Sparks right now. Mystics were 3rd last year in the regular season and made the Finals, plus they return everybody and bring back an All Star in Emma Meesseman. Aces have everyone back from a young roster, plus bring in the best scorer last year in Cambage and the #1 pick. Both teams have great coaches too.

Sparks finished in 6th place a year ago and have a similar but more log jammed roster. Plus a brand new coach who has never coached women and has a career coaching record of 40-96.

Of the players listed, only the Ogwumikes, Parker, Beard and Gray are proven players. Alexis Jones/Wiese/Samuelson haven't done anything in the league, Lavender was traded and Kalani Brown is a rookie playing behind 4 other frontcourt players. Beard is also 37 years old. Zero guard depth unless you think Samuelson/Mabrey/Wiese/Jones/Ruffin-Pratt are going to light it up. The only reason they look good is because they aren't losing major star power.

Other teams like Phoenix, Minnesota, Connecticut and Atlanta could surprise a lot of people. I think they're in the same boat as LA. Phoenix still has Griner/Bonner and DT likely joins later in the season, Minnesota has Fowles and Reeve is coaching, Connecticut was best in 2017 when they didn't have Chiney, and Atlanta looked good even without Angel last year.

Reaction Score
Mystics/Aces look like clear front runners ahead of the Sparks right now. Mystics were 3rd last year in the regular season and made the Finals, plus they return everybody and bring back an All Star in Emma Meesseman. Aces have everyone back from a young roster, plus bring in the best scorer last year in Cambage and the #1 pick. Both teams have great coaches too.

Sparks finished in 6th place a year ago and have a similar but more log jammed roster. Plus a brand new coach who has never coached women and has a career coaching record of 40-96.

Of the players listed, only the Ogwumikes, Parker, Beard and Gray are proven players. Alexis Jones/Wiese/Samuelson haven't done anything in the league, Lavender was traded and Kalani Brown is a rookie playing behind 4 other frontcourt players. Beard is also 37 years old. Zero guard depth unless you think Samuelson/Mabrey/Wiese/Jones/Ruffin-Pratt are going to light it up. The only reason they look good is because they aren't losing major star power.

Other teams like Phoenix, Minnesota, Connecticut and Atlanta could surprise a lot of people. I think they're in the same boat as LA. Phoenix still has Griner/Bonner and DT likely joins later in the season, Minnesota has Fowles and Reeve is coaching, Connecticut was best in 2017 when they didn't have Chiney, and Atlanta looked good even without Angel last year.
I don’t think the Mystics can pull it off. Their roster doesn’t scare me and Delle Donne is not always healthy. Thibault always get so close, but never completes. I think the Aces could improve a lot this year, but I don’t see them winning the championship. I’m sticking with LA, I think Parker, Nneka, and Gray can be 1st team WNBA and Parker/Nneka could be MVP again. If not LA, I’d say the Sun with Chiney gone it clears up the lane and space for Jones to do what she does best.

Reaction Score
This means I mainly root Sky with Lou, Gabby and Steph. Just made sure I had CBS Sports app installed to catch May 25 game against Pheesa. For some reason my one year WNBA pass has carried into new season. I am not complaining...
I believe you will be charged this week for the upcoming season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue has a "loose body" in her knee. I thought all the loose bodies were in the Meadowlands or concrete overshoes in New York Harbor. ;)

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I pray Sue Bird has a speedy recovery!! I hope she will be able to play this season.

Reaction Score
I pray Sue Bird has a speedy recovery!! I hope she will be able to play this season.
Do not despair Shorty and other Sue Bird fans (aren’t we all). Sue will be back this season if she so chooses. Her recovery from an arthroscopic procedure for a loose body should be easier than for most of us here on the BY. She may be 38 years old but she is an athlete in top condition with strong supporting muscles. The regular season for Seattle ends on 9/8.

While they’re in there they should do a little super glue /duck tape tune-up to beef up any other stuff that might need attention.
Hopefully there is not much else in there that needs attention. A loose body can be seen on regular x-rays but I doubt they would go to surgery without an MRI which is pretty darn good in diagnosing knee problems.

Reaction Score
Do not despair Shorty and other Sue Bird fans (aren’t we all). Sue will be back this season if she so chooses. Her recovery from an arthroscopic procedure for a loose body should be easier than for most of us here on the BY. She may be 38 years old but she is an athlete in top condition with strong supporting muscles. The regular season for Seattle ends on 9/8.

Hopefully there is not much else in there that needs attention. A loose body can be seen on regular x-rays but I doubt they would go to surgery without an MRI which is pretty darn good in diagnosing knee problems.
Actually unless Seattle has a miracle season. With Stewie being out, and next year Olympics, Sue taking a year off would be a good thing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Actually unless Seattle has a miracle season. With Stewie being out, and next year Olympics, Sue taking a year off would be a good thing.

Sue does not play internationally so the WNBA is particularly meaningful for her. If she can get back to play (assuming the playoffs are in reach) and is medically able to, she should go for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom