Sue Bird is getting a lot well deserved “GOAT love“ lately, meanwhile… | The Boneyard

Sue Bird is getting a lot well deserved “GOAT love“ lately, meanwhile…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Stirring up trouble eh @CL82?
Bad Boy Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

“Who? Me?”

Reaction Score
Come on, who doesn't love Sue Bird? It's like saying John Stockton is the NBA GOAT. Of course he's not, as Sue is not.
Has to be reserved for a dynamic scorer/all-around impact player- Stewie, DT, Cheryl Miller......
Sorry, it is what it is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Come on, who doesn't love Sue Bird? It's like saying John Stockton is the NBA GOAT. Of course he's not, as Sue is not.
Has to be reserved for a dynamic scorer/all-around impact player- Stewie, DT, Cheryl Miller......
Sorry, it is what it is.
Actually I disagree. It depends on what you value the most. Sue may not score the points that Dee has, or Stewie will, nor may she have the physical gifts of a Cheryl Miller, but just because her most impressive statistic is her assists totals, I would argue that the assist stat is harder to build. Not only does it require great passing, but is incumbent on the recipient to actually score.

And by the way, Sue is #7on the all-time scoring list. Know where Swoopes is? #24. Miller? Not in the top 30. Not too shabby for a player no one really talks about as a GOAT.

Add to that the fact that a PG with the skills Sue has is a TRUE floor general. Coach on the floor, has to see plays as the unfold every second she's on the court, and she directs traffic like a maestro.

People like to "ooh and aah" over players who have physical gifts and can score in all kinds of great ways. But players like Sue, who are absolute masters at what they do but who aren't as flashy, get overlooked (IMHO).

I'd love for people to start giving Sue the kudos I believe she deserves and talk about her as one of the true GOATS. I believe she's deserving.

Reaction Score
Actually I disagree. It depends on what you value the most. Sue may not score the points that Dee has, or Stewie will, nor may she have the physical gifts of a Cheryl Miller, but just because her most impressive statistic is her assists totals, I would argue that the assist stat is harder to build. Not only does it require great passing, but is incumbent on the recipient to actually score.

And by the way, Sue is #7on the all-time scoring list. Know where Swoopes is? #24. Miller? Not in the top 30. Not too shabby for a player no one really talks about as a GOAT.

Add to that the fact that a PG with the skills Sue has is a TRUE floor general. Coach on the floor, has to see plays as the unfold every second she's on the court, and she directs traffic like a maestro.

People like to "ooh and aah" over players who have physical gifts and can score in all kinds of great ways. But players like Sue, who are absolute masters at what they do but who aren't as flashy, get overlooked (IMHO).

I'd love for people to start giving Sue the kudos I believe she deserves and talk about her as one of the true GOATS. I believe she's deserving.
Good post!
She is certainly getting lots of Kudos, which she deserves. Frankly, she's everywhere. BTW I thought the 60 minutes piece was thin, flimsy. I bet there is much in her life that is the ultimate in depth. Overcoming injury, work ethic, longevity in a rugged sport, work growing the WNBA, Olympic career, her sexual journey. Any of those topics in depth would have been riveting.
Just not a GOAT IMO. She's the ultimate overachiever. Talk about reaching and/or exceeding one's potential. Yes, yes, yes.
Please no stat talk about Cheryl. Doesn't apply. Please watch "Women of Troy" documentary. Try not to let your jaw hit the table!

Reaction Score
I'm with you.
Nancy Lieberman?
Remember the "old-timers" didn't have a WNBA.
True. She was an amazing player (Lady Magic) and way ahead of her time. 5 gold medals and 4 WNBA titles for Sue and the fact that she is now a world reknowned female athlete clinches it in my book. Two different styles too. I think much of what Sue does goes unnoticed because it is so seamless. If you watch a highlight reel you are blown away. The longevity is amazing. In a real sense, Sue has stood on Nancy's shoulders as others will stand on Sue's shoulders.

Reaction Score

Agree. As I said in a later post in this thread, if you watch a Sue highlight reel, you are blown away by her passing and plays. She is just so smooth that it doesn't seem flashy when many times it really objectively is.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm not arguing against your post (I agree), but your comparisons are specious -- Swoopes was 26 when the WNBA was founded and Miller never played professionally. Of course she's not in the top 30 in scoring.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah, you really can't compare old timers to modern women's basketball because before the graduating class of 1995 there was no professional ball in the US and the only real notice women's players got was for the Olympics once every 4 years. You can compare college careers, but that cuts out 90% of a modern players basketball career, and it also doesn't take into account the incredible changes in the college universe - better and broader competition.

Agree that PGs tend to be left behind when people start talking about GOAT, just as defensive play is left out of a player's 'resume' unless they are an incredible shot blocker.

The question really should be who would you start your team with - a great floor general or a great scorer?

(Comparing men's players pre 1990s to the current game is pretty hard as well.)

Reaction Score
The question really should be who would you start your team with - a great floor general or a great scorer?
Yes, that would be a very good question indeed. I suspect if & when Paige returns to 100% and grows into her full potential she could be included in both categories.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Just saw her in a Corona commercial. Hair down looking great

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Sue is the GWOAT:

2 NCAA championships
4 WNBA championships
5 Olympic championships
4 FIBA World Cup championships
5 Euro League championships

Reaction Score
5 Olympic gold medals! Who else does that? Oh yeah, DT The GOAT. Between them, if you're counting, that's 10 gold medals. Will we ever see this again?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
5 Olympic gold medals! Who else does that? Oh yeah, DT The GOAT. Between them, if you're counting, that's 10 gold medals. Will we ever see this again?
Sue is the GWOAT:

2 NCAA championships
4 WNBA championships
5 Olympic championships
4 FIBA World Cup championships
5 Euro League championships
4ADD448B-C4A3-4679-A99E-11CD27A88BC3.jpeg

At age 26….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors