Sue Bird Flag Bearer | The Boneyard

Sue Bird Flag Bearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Now talk about dichotomy...in the Sue Bird household one member turns her back on the flag and takes a knee during the national anthem while the other member parades in front of the world proudly bearing her countries colors.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Now talk about dichotomy...in the Sue Bird household one member turns her back on the flag and takes a knee during the national anthem while the other member parades in front of the world proudly bearing her countries colors.
Actually, there's no dichotomy at all. You have grossly misrepresented and distorted the facts in order to present the situation as such — which says a lot more about you than the vilified "Bird household member".

It's truly unbelievable how some folks are so triggered by Rapinoe that they can't refrain from bringing her up even in threads that have nothing to do with her.

If you can't just share gracefully in this moment of celebration with Sue, perhaps consider sitting this one out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually, there's no dichotomy at all. You have grossly misrepresented and distorted the facts in order to present the situation as such — which says a lot more about you than the vilified "Bird household member".
Not true.

If you can't just share gracefully in this moment of celebration with Sue, perhaps consider sitting this one out.
True.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not true.
I stand by my comments…completely true…period
Wrong.

"turns her back on the flag" -- When did this happen? (I suspect this refers to an accusation after a June game which was wholly fabricated and conclusively disproven.)

"takes a knee during the anthem" -- To call this a "dichotomy" alongside someone who "proudly carries the flag" at an opening ceremony is, at best, a subjective value judgment. Others would be quick to argue that protest is in fact patriotic.

And even if you were being truthful and accurate, why must you derail the Sue thread with it? Again, says a lot more about you than anyone else.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Look Plebe...Okay she didn't turn her back on the flag...I misspoke...she refuses to put her hand over her heart, refuses to sing the anthem and takes a knee during its playing. What is the anthem but an ode to our flag and those who have fought and died for it over the decades. I am not the only one who sees the dichotomy here. My acknowledgement of the fact that they both reside in the same household and that one has a strong protest against the flag while the other is chosen and has accepted the honor of carrying the flag is in no way a derailment of the thread. It simply broadens the scope of the thread. Am I happy for Sue Bird? Absolutely!!!! Do I agree with Megan Rapinoe's attitudes towards the flag and our anthem? That would be a huge "hell no"!!! Is it dichotomous that the two of them live together? It is, plain and simple. There are many Americans who would rather the soccer team simply play soccer and leave politics out of the games. Oh and for the record...I made no reference to the so-called "June game" which you reference. Your assumption that I bought into those claims is far worse than my pointing out an obvious dichotomy.

Dichotomy: a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different: A division into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities. Is defined as a sharp division of things or ideas into two contradictory parts.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Look Plebe...Okay she didn't turn her back on the flag...I misspoke...she refuses to put her hand over her heart, refuses to sing the anthem and takes a knee during its playing. What is the anthem but an ode to our flag and those who have fought and died for it over the decades. I am not the only one who sees the dichotomy here. My acknowledgement of the fact that they both reside in the same household and that one has a strong protest against the flag while the other is chosen and has accepted the honor of carrying the flag is in no way a derailment of the thread. It simply broadens the scope of the thread. Am I happy for Sue Bird? Absolutely!!!! Do I agree with Megan Rapinoe's attitudes towards the flag and our anthem? That would be a huge "hell no"!!! Is it dichotomous that the two of them live together? It is, plain and simple. There are many Americans who would rather the soccer team simply play soccer and leave politics out of the games. Oh and for the record...I made no reference to the so-called "June game" which you reference. Your assumption that I bought into those claims is far worse than my pointing out an obvious dichotomy.

Dichotomy: a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different: A division into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities. Is defined as a sharp division of things or ideas into two contradictory parts.
Yes, we get it. You're a self-appointed member of the National Anthem P's and Q's Strict Enforcement Brigade. But of course, we already gathered that from the way you gratuitously and disrespectfully injected your assessment of Sue's personal living situation.

I assure you Sue Bird sees no such dichotomy, nor does her "fellow household member". Rapinoe herself, when interviewed on the live broadcast just before the opening ceremony, gushed that she "couldn't be prouder and happier" of Sue being selected as flag-bearer.

Thank goodness not everyone defines pride and love of country in the same narrow way that some would have us believe is the only way to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom