Succession (HBO)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by nelsonmuntz, Jun 4, 2018.

1. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

This is HBO's next swing at prestige Emmy bait. Reviews were brutal, although I think reviewers hold the show to too high a standard. I feel like every show that isn't the next Mad Men or Game of Thrones gets filleted out of the gate. I find cable shows often struggle in Season 1 before hitting their stride in sesaon 2. The first few episodes of Game of Thrones were a grind, and it took me about 3 episodes to really get into Mad Men.

My take: Episode 1 has some issues, but the show has potential. Brian Cox is OK as the Patriarch of this very wealthy family. He isn't quite refined enough to pull off the media billionaire role, although I will wait to make a final judgment.

I already like Jeremy Strong as the heir apparent, loyal son. Even in just one episode, you saw both the entitled bullying of someone born to greatness, and the fact that he just doesn't have "it". That is hard to illustrate, and the show didn't cop out with exposition.

I don't have a good view on the rest of the characters yet, other than I hope the show fleshes them out since they all seem a little stereotypical in the first episode. I also hope the show dials back the scalito-hole factor, because it is set at 10 for the entire family. A comedy can have a cast of unlikable characters, but it is hard to hold a drama together if the audience hates everyone.

2. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

Episode 2 is good, and was pretty funny in spots. I don't get some reviewers problem with this show. Other than the daughter's fiancé, who is a little lame, all the main characters are interesting. This is a solid show.

3. progrocks

progrocks

Watched the first, will wait til the season is over to decide if I will come back to it. Life is to short to spend an hour a week with such horrible people

4. Walker11

Walker11

Nelson touched on this in his first post and I agree with the both of you. The characters are too stereotypical and overall dislikable. Greg is almost too stupid to believe. The hippie brother is a caricature of a caricature. Shiv is grating and Roman is another stereotypical buffoon. The future fiance may be worst of all. I can't imagine someone with so little social awareness, between his conversation with Logan's wife and his bizarre proposal. I do like Kendall. I will give it a few more episodes but there is too little time to watch mediocre shows.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

I am starting to really like this show. Kendall is smart enough to know what his options are, but not a good enough decision maker to make the right choice. Every decision he makes takes him a step backward. He is scalitoing up all over the place, and it is fun to watch.

Roman is highly educated because he comes from wealth, but is emotionally a child and will piss off everyone around him. Making a lot of pronouncements while bringing nothing to the table gets old very quickly with the people around him. I actually know someone just like this. There are hundreds of these middle aged trust fund "kids" in New York and San Francisco.