Substitution Pattern

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by uconn34, Feb 13, 2018.

1. uconn34

uconn34

After watching the Louisville game I came away feeling my first sub would be Megan. Her overall game fits best with the starters and she needs some more time. Z just needs to stop thinking she is a two guard. Until her game fits with the starters she should sit. Just my opinion.

2. robaust10

robaust10

Absolutely agree, especially after Zs first 4 min ... Awful ... Yet Walker only played 2 min ... And had 2 assists?
    Not Sure MW will ever be "in" the rotation

3. Longtime fan

Longtime fan

I see your point. However, "Z" is going to be critical when we start playing teams with a lot of size. True, she can't " body" anyone, but she can rebound and be effective under the basket. I hate to say this but her outside shot has gone south in her psyche. Yesterday's " airball" was pretty scary, for an open shot. I don't really know what to expect of Megan. She was in the game for about 20 seconds yesterday and got yanked. I missed a lot of the game, so I may have missed something here. I will watch the game again, today, on tape. But Megan seems on a slow and inconsistent track toward excellence.

4. Jaybird65

Jaybird65

Come deep tournament time, we are close to becoming a 6 player rotation unless some consistency develops between now & end of regular season; even in "deep" years, Geno has shortened the rotation deep in tournament time. I'm hoping something clicks for good for Walker & Combs over the rest of the season heading into post season play. He should be able to pick some good spots for Irwin over the coming games.

uconnfan68 likes this.
  5. Jeff H

Jeff H

I don't think you sit someone who is averaging 14.2 pts and 7.3 rebounds per game in significantly less playing time than the starters. Yes she can't hit her 3's, but she takes less than 2 per game. That's not going to kill you. Although her defense needs a lot of improvement she has 46 blocks and 21 steals. That's not bad. My feeling is that because she's not the player (yet) that we hoped she would be, we aren't giving her credit for some real contributions. I actually think her biggest problem is picking up dumb fouls.

6. Centerstream

Centerstream

I agree 100% with you on Z's biggest problem. I think it's also a Kyla problem. :(

7. Monte

Monte

When it gets down to the nitty-gritty, we all know this is a 7 player rotation. If Geno is in a bad mood, maybe 6.

8. NewCorn

NewCorn

So what happened with Walker? She comes in for two minutes, has two assists, set a neat screen for Lou, boxes out well under the basket, and sits for the rest of the night. If MW is frustrated, I can understand why. I'm sure Geno has good reasons for this. If any of you more knowledgeable BY's have ideas about what his reasons may be, I would enjoy hearing them.

9. JoePgh

JoePgh

On rewatching the game, I saw one good reason for Geno to take her out of the game. Immediately after Lou’s second 3-point attempt behind Walker’s screen, Louisville missed a shot. Sam Feurling (#3 of Louisville) was in the paint next to Megan Walker, initially behind Megan. But she moved quickly to her left, got the rebound and a putback for 2 points. Megan failed to keep Feurling on her back, making no real attempt to box her out.

I think that was all Geno needed to see. Players in her situation don’t get second chances in big games, as Kiah Stokes could have told her. (Remember when Kiah failed to dive on a loose ball early in the first South Carolina game, and never saw the floor again until the game was decided?). And with good reason: If she had stayed in the game, Feurling and Jeff Walz would have known that she was not an alert defender, and would surely have taken advantage of that fact.

CocoHusky and NewCorn like this.
  10. PhillyCoach

PhillyCoach

For those who know much more than me, please tell me what team has a better 6th man (woman) than Z. It seems UConn has the best team--the 5 starters--and the best 6th player. That's just my humble opinion.

11. RSHERMVIKES

RSHERMVIKES

I posted this on a different thread but it applies here as well.

Watching Z playing offense and defense it points out to me what she didn't get in her 2 years at Duke! She was allowed to play HER game no-matter what mistakes she made because she (with her mistakes) was better than anyone Duke had! At Duke she could get it right 80% of the time she can't get away with 80% for Geno!
    Geno and staff are breaking old habits implanted during her freshman & sophomore years under JPM!
    They say, "old habits die hard!" It's true as we watch Z play!
    As far as Meg is concerned, it's hard to compare yourself to the most talented players in college today, unless you're named Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird, etal! Right now she doesn't see herself comparing to her peers! No confidence!

PhillyCoach likes this.
  12. HuskeyinSC

HuskeyinSC

I agree whole hearted. I really care about MW, Kyla, Mikala, Molly, Batouly and Lexi so I pay extra attention to them when they get into the game. I look for and celebrate their good plays no matter how small. When I saw the put back play you mentioned, I thought that she was gone. Also, I thought she was late in picking up her defensive assignment a couple of times. She played well on the offensive end, but that's not the coach's priority.

NewCorn likes this.
  13. NewCorn

NewCorn

Thanks. I had not noticed Megan's failure on Feruling. Now her going to the bench makes sense to me.