Study says Louisville has college basketball’s best fanbase; Kentucky 7th | The Boneyard

Study says Louisville has college basketball’s best fanbase; Kentucky 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"What’s important to note here is that this isn’t a study that is supposed to determine whose fans are the most passionate. It’s sole purpose is to figure out which fan base is still spending money when their team is bad. That’s why Arkansas is so high on this list. They sell out Bud Walton Arena even when they’re going 2-14 in the SEC. Texas has an athletic department that prints money whether or not they win basketball games."

Reaction Score
They did a similar poll to this in 2011 and UConn was in the top 3. Win a National Championship and your school will be up there

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Arkansas being ranked #4 on that list just blew all credibility out of the window.
Or maybe your missing the boat. Ark is a top 15 program all time.

Reaction Score
"What’s important to note here is that this isn’t a study that is supposed to determine whose fans are the most passionate. It’s sole purpose is to figure out which fan base is still spending money when their team is bad. That’s why Arkansas is so high on this list. They sell out Bud Walton Arena even when they’re going 2-14 in the SEC. Texas has an athletic department that prints money whether or not they win basketball games."

UConn may not sell out any more but I'd say our fan showing during the second half of the season with nothing to play for was impressive in its own right.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Or maybe your missing the boat. Ark is a top 15 program all time.
they had competitive teams but not a top 15 team all time by any means. I can see 5 or 6 just from the old BE plus at least 3 to 4 in old ACC, at least 4 from old Big 10, and Florida, Kentucky and S. Carolina from SEC way before Arkansas - then you have the old time powers like NYU, Holy Cross......

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
they had competitive teams but not a top 15 team all time by any means. I can see 5 or 6 just from the old BE plus at least 3 to 4 in old ACC, at least 4 from old Big 10, and Florida, Kentucky and S. Carolina from SEC way before Arkansas - then you have the old time powers like NYU, Holy Cross......

my 2 cents at a top 15, its split into 3 sections/types of programs.

blue bloods
1-uk
2-unc
3-duke
4-kansas
5-indiana
6-ucla

new bloods
7-uconn
9-msu
10-arizona
13-florida

solid programs
8-louisville
11-syracuse
12-gtown
14-arkansas
15-okst

next tier- cincy, ncst, illinois, nova, michigan, tosu, texas, temple, unlv, sf, md, marq, gtech, wash, bama, purdue among others of your pick for a 15-30 group.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
my 2 cents at a top 15, its split into 3 sections/types of programs.

blue bloods
1-uk
2-unc
3-duke
4-kansas
5-indiana
6-ucla

new bloods
7-uconn
9-msu
10-arizona
13-florida

solid programs
8-louisville
11-syracuse
12-gtown
14-arkansas
15-okst

next tier- cincy, ncst, illinois, nova, michigan, tosu, texas, temple, unlv, sf, md, marq, gtech, wash, bama, purdue among others of your pick for a 15-30 group.
I respect your list but I cant place Arkansas above okstate, cincy, south Carolina, Maryland, temple, Michigan, unlv, nova. plus a handful of the 40's and 50's programs that won multiple NITs
good list and like the way you broke it down-

Reaction Score
It's not about fanbases either. It appears it's about revenue.

Reaction Score
The premise is fan base, the metric is revenue. Success has 0 to do with it. Huskyfandan missed both boats.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My unscientific research has proven that Kentucky and Kansas are far and away the most fervent college basketball fan bases in the country. Having attended numerous final fours, Maui Invitationals, NCAA tourneys and a myriad of other college hoops events over the years UK and KU attendance blows everyone else's away and it aint even close.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The premise is fan base, the metric is revenue. Success has 0 to do with it. Huskyfandan missed both boats.
How so? Arkansas is a deep tradition program. They have a deep loyal fan base. That's the premise. The metric is revenue which they do quite well in for a football school perception wise. Therefore hey are on the list of the linked article. I don't get what is so hard about this.

I also put my opinion of a top 15 all time and I think they make it. Just giving my 2 cents that ppl here under value them.

Reaction Score
My unscientific research has proven that Kentucky and Kansas are far and away the most fervent college basketball fan bases in the country. Having attended numerous final fours, Maui Invitationals, NCAA tourneys and a myriad of other college hoops events over the years UK and KU attendance blows everyone else's away and it aint even close.

I'd add IU too. Even when they're ty their fans are rabid.

Reaction Score

Right, but as we've discussed so often, comparisons based on revenue are bogus because everyone logs revenue differently.

Reaction Score
If you watch the Big East classic games on SNY, you'll hear Billy Packer proclaim UConn as the best fan base in the country. I think in the 90's we were right up there with Kansas and Kentucky.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The metric is actually revenue relative to team performance. So die hards fans that purchase tickets/gear for a sucky team would boost the "fandom" of their team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom