Student Rec Center Sites Set...What does that mean For the Hockey Facility Location | The Boneyard

Student Rec Center Sites Set...What does that mean For the Hockey Facility Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONNJACK posted this link in a thread on the CR Board:
901332.pdf

The Student Rec Center has been sent out to bid for architectural design. The preferred site looks to be X-Lot with parking lot behind McMahon and the current location of Connecticut Common Dorms across from the Co-op as alternate sites. Does this now shoe-horn the new hockey barn/team facility by Freitas? The answer to the space issue would be to move Marrone Stadium up to the football practice field, put the football practice field next to Burton/Schenkman and use the rest of that space to build the new hockey barn/facility. But with Tony Rizza donating $8 million dollars to rebuild Morrone Stadium that isn't happening. Does the new barn/team facility go where the Fieldhouse is, does it go in one of the 2 alternate locations for the Student Rec Center? That would make the most sense in keeping the athletic facilities clustered together like they are now.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
While I'd rather have the arena next to Storrs Center to help build up pedestrian traffic in that area, it would be awesome to have it next to gampel. Minnesota's campus has their facilities next to each other and it looks really cool.

Reaction Score
Rebuild civic center and keep the games there. Why? I can drink beer at the games.

Reaction Score
Plan is to start the retrofit of the XLC next summer.
DoggPound since you and I totally disagree on the on-campus barb/Xl Center (for the record I like the XL for a few big games per yr)...Inhave a question for you...what is your stance on the state of Freitas as it is configured right now as a team facility...here is a link to a show MSG produced on Brian Boyle when he was with the Rangers..skip to 12:43 where you will see BC's team facility and Boyle with Cav who was still at BC when this was made ()... my opinion of Freitas..if UCONN is forced by Malloy to play at a renovated XL Center..they need a COMPLETE renovation/addition of Freitas to be able to compete recruiting wise with HE schools. I also think the rent that the CRDA AND Global Spectrum charges UCONN for both hoops and hockey is CRAZY. They would make as much if not more at a 6000 seat on campus barn because that pretty big vig doesn't exsist.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this is a bit wordy and scrambled - on a time crunch

I'm all for an on-campus arena and see it's merits, but I think where my opinion diverges is that to me playing full-time at a retrofitted XL if it were to happen would not spell doom for the program's future like some insist. The retrofitted XL for all intents and purposes will be a major league facility and when's it finished it'll have 8-9,000 lower bowl seats vs. around 5,800 presently. IMO that would only make for a better atmosphere than the current set-up and as I pointed out in previous threads certain hockey organizations have made curtain systems work aesthetically and acoustically for their fans and respective teams.

As far as the rent goes I don't know if it's crazy or exorbitant but I do know UConn signs it. If it does happen to be higher then market rate then it might have to do partially with UConn's hesitation into signing a long-term contract with the building (they haven't signed a multi-year agreement since the last one ended in 2013) - Now it's understandable on UConn's part but signing contracts on a yearly basis stands to be more expensive, I would imagine. When they sign the 20 year contract the rent will most likely go down significantly and the Universities share of the building's revenues would increase significantly.

With that said I still believe the end game is a 5,000-5,500 (I know BY's want 6k but it probably will fall in the middle) seat arena in Storrs being built around 2020 give or take a year but my gut says we'll see a split of the schedule similar to what is done with the basketball teams. I know that's not what some people want to hear but I think that would be the smartest bet and it's a familiar set-up. This way UConn doesn't alienate the encouraging interest coming from the fans in Hartford, they get to have their higher gate at the XL w/ many more paying customers + they share in the advertising/suite/concession revenues in the new XL - which wouldn't exist to the same extent in Storrs. It's also worth noting that the Wolf Pack will be gone shortly giving UConn exclusivity over the Hartford-hockey market and they'll likely pick-up additional fans when that occurs making Hartford that much more attractive.

8 Hockey games in Hartford annually (rest for Storrs so anywhere from 9-12 annually + Women's in Storrs), 8 Men's basketball in Hartford annually and 8 Women's basketball games in Hartford = 24 total games. CRDA is aiming for 25.

Now this would be 5 years away from happening and that's a long, long time. Even though people scoff it's a possibility the Whalers return before or around then which would make all of this moot. If that occurs UConn will moving a lot of it's sports back to Storrs and UConn Hockey would play just a couple marquee games in Hartford and the CT-Beanpot if it ever gets off the ground.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this is a bit wordy and scrambled - on a time crunch

I'm all for an on-campus arena and see it's merits, but I think where my opinion diverges is that to me playing full-time at a retrofitted XL if it were to happen would not spell doom for the program's future like some insist. The retrofitted XL for all intents and purposes will be a major league facility and when's it finished it'll have 8-9,000 lower bowl seats vs. around 5,800 presently. IMO that would only make for a better atmosphere than the current set-up and as I pointed out in previous threads certain hockey organizations have made curtain systems work aesthetically and acoustically for their fans and respective teams.

As far as the rent goes I don't know if it's crazy or exorbitant but I do know UConn signs it. If it does happen to be higher then market rate then it might have to do partially with UConn's hesitation into signing a long-term contract with the building (they haven't signed a multi-year agreement since the last one ended in 2013) - Now it's understandable on UConn's part but signing contracts on a yearly basis stands to be more expensive, I would imagine. When they sign the 20 year contract the rent will most likely go down significantly and the Universities share of the building's revenues would increase significantly.

With that said I still believe the end game is a 5,000-5,500 (I know BY's want 6k but it probably will fall in the middle) seat arena in Storrs being built around 2020 give or take a year but my gut says we'll see a split of the schedule similar to what is done with the basketball teams. I know that's not what some people want to hear but I think that would be the smartest bet and it's a familiar set-up. This way UConn doesn't alienate the encouraging interest coming from the fans in Hartford, they get to have their higher gate at the XL w/ many more paying customers + they share in the advertising/suite/concession revenues in the new XL - which wouldn't exist to the same extent in Storrs. It's also worth noting that the Wolf Pack will be gone shortly giving UConn exclusivity over the Hartford-hockey market and they'll likely pick-up additional fans when that occurs making Hartford that much more attractive.

8 Hockey games in Hartford annually (rest for Storrs so anywhere from 9-12 annually + Women's in Storrs), 8 Men's basketball in Hartford annually and 8 Women's basketball games in Hartford = 24 total games. CRDA is aiming for 25.

Now this would be 5 years away from happening and that's a long, long time. Even though people scoff it's a possibility the Whalers return before or around then which would make all of this moot. If that occurs UConn will moving a lot of it's sports back to Storrs and UConn Hockey would play just a couple marquee games in Hartford and the CT-Beanpot if it ever gets off the ground.
I'd sign up for this deal in a second. As far as the size of the on-campus barn goes...I would do no more than 5500 seats.

Reaction Score
I thought I'd hear 43rd st blow up when I suggested playing in Hartford. Trying to get fdny going.

Reaction Score
brasssbonanzaa said:
Plus, it's not infeasible to get an alcohol license on campus, BU has one at Agganis.
I was hoping for a X lot build. Across from Theodore's.

Reaction Score
UCONNJACK posted this link in a thread on the CR Board:
901332.pdf

The Student Rec Center has been sent out to bid for architectural design. The preferred site looks to be X-Lot with parking lot behind McMahon and the current location of Connecticut Common Dorms across from the Co-op as alternate sites. Does this now shoe-horn the new hockey barn/team facility by Freitas? The answer to the space issue would be to move Marrone Stadium up to the football practice field, put the football practice field next to Burton/Schenkman and use the rest of that space to build the new hockey barn/facility. But with Tony Rizza donating $8 million dollars to rebuild Morrone Stadium that isn't happening. Does the new barn/team facility go where the Fieldhouse is, does it go in one of the 2 alternate locations for the Student Rec Center? That would make the most sense in keeping the athletic facilities clustered together like they are now.

Just note that under the original 'master plan' soccer and football would swap practice fields. The soccer game facility, Morrone, would built just below it at the corner of Alumni and Calhoun/Stadium next to the softball field which was the field hockey game field before they moved to Sherman in the mid 1990's. No sure why Rizza would have a problem moving it there. Its actually a more visible location.

I have raised it elsewhere; but, if the Fieldhouse comes down and Gampel is expanded, what happens to UConn Swimming and Indoor track & Field as the proposed student rec center's facilities are too small for varsity events?

And, or course, tell the politicians in Hartford to fix their own darn problem and stop trying to force UConn into Hartford. University sports should be played at a university. Moving nearly all games to Hartford is basically converting UConn into a pro sports team. Just look at downtown New Haven, which doing well without the old Coliseum.

Reaction Score
http://today.uconn.edu/2015/09/student-recreation-center-site-selected/
New Student Rec Center is going on Hillside right across from the Co-Op on the stre of the Connecticut Commons residence halls. This opens up X-Lot property for the Hockey facility now.

Thanks. That was a curve ball; but, the location makes sense in terms of a centralizing 'student service' core along hillside except for the old Wilbur Cross Library.

Couple of observations:
  • "100 million and will be repaid through student fees, which are not to exceed $250" Ouch.
  • "50-meter swimming pool" - That is big enough for NCAA swimming events and if it includes a diving well, could allow UConn to move varsity Swimming & Diving there to allow Wolff to be town down to expand Gampel.
  • "The project will include building a multi-purpose outdoor recreation field at parking Lot D" - UConn does need more rec field space; but, I do not like this idea. Combining D Lot with the current football practice fields should be a large enough space to fit the new soccer stadium and two practice fields (men & women and, fingers crossed, men's & women's lax in the Spring) on top of the hill while moving the football practice fields next to Shenkman. Each sports would each have its defined space.
Not sure if hockey will go to X lot though. UConn is really focused on STEM and even with the new engineering building going up by the Chem building, I think the university will save that space for future academic building needs as that is the campus' science core. Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm out of the loop... but I thought that UConn didn't have a choice in the matter. That Hockey East mandated UConn play games on campus. Did I miss something?

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm out of the loop... but I thought that UConn didn't have a choice in the matter. That Hockey East mandated UConn play games on campus. Did I miss something?
Part of the agreement to join HE was that there would be an on campus arena.

Reaction Score
Part of the agreement to join HE was that there would be an on campus arena.
Right. That's the source of my confusion. Why all the talk about Hartford or whatever, if we have to go back to Storrs anyway?

Reaction Score
Because we are probably going to end up in the B1G
All the more reason to build a facility on campus - no B1G team wants anything to do with Tuesday and Friday afternoon games because the circus is in town.

Reaction Score
I hate to sound like a broken record but Brasssbonanza do you not acknowledge the fact the Wolf Pack are going to be departing Hartford soon? That will open up many, many prime weekend dates for UConn.

Reaction Score
I hate to sound like a broken record but Brasssbonanza do you not acknowledge the fact the Wolf Pack are going to be departing Hartford soon? That will open up many, many prime weekend dates for UConn.
Yes I do, but when they're moving games for the circus being in town, as they are this year, the B1G hockey teams will have absolutely no interest in flying out for a Tuesday game in Hartford as a result of that. There is absolutely no good reason to keep games in Hartford without an on-campus facility as a means to entice a bid into the B1G. Not to mention that it will be a hindrance to UConn's recruiting ability in Hockey East and elsewhere for as long as that's the scenario.

Reaction Score

While unlikely, I wish that Hartford would get a new NHL team just to stop Hartford's politicians from demanding that UConn athletics to say their XL and downtown. Hockey must be on campus outside of a marque game or two and maybe a few games during winter break. not a single hockey team plays-off camps. Even providence College's whose on campus arena holds just 3,000 or so fans stay on campus instead of playing at the larger Donut just 5 miles away that holds 11,000.

Reaction Score
Yes I do, but when they're moving games for the circus being in town, as they are this year, the B1G hockey teams will have absolutely no interest in flying out for a Tuesday game in Hartford as a result of that. There is absolutely no good reason to keep games in Hartford without an on-campus facility as a means to entice a bid into the B1G. Not to mention that it will be a hindrance to UConn's recruiting ability in Hockey East and elsewhere for as long as that's the scenario.

The circus always come to Hartford in early(ish) May. I don't see how that interferes with the college hockey season, unless I'm missing something here?

Reaction Score
The circus always come to Hartford in early(ish) May. I don't see how that interferes with the college hockey season, unless I'm missing something here?
You are missing the point that if something isn't done on campus there will be no reason to even play in Hartford because recruiting will be non-existent.

Reaction Score
DoggPound please explain to us how UCONN can even be a middle of the pack HE program playing 45 min away from campus running the program out of Freitas which is a dump compared to the facilities of the program's you want to compete with on the recruiting trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom