Strenth of Schedule - not terrible. | The Boneyard

Strenth of Schedule - not terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have heard a lot on this board, and other places about how weak UCONNs schedule is this year. I looked today on CBSsportsline RPI and with only one "cupcake" left before Big East play, UCONN's SOS is 22. (last "cupcake" Fairfield is #63 in the RPI - a solid mid-major this year).

Odds are, given the strenth of the Big East as a whole, and getting 'Cuse 2x and a somewhat decent Hall 2x - by year end UCONN's SOS could be top 10. Notre Dame sucking might hurt a little as UCONN gets them 2x as well.

Reaction Score
It's a little early to put much stock in the RPI. There may be a perception issue as we dont really have a marquee name in the OOC schedule. FSU and Tennessee are the two "names" and the latter is pretty poor this year. Our best OOC game may end up being Harvard which doesn't have a ton of cache. What is helping however is that it appears we may have fewer super-cupcakes this year. Also, our BE slate is back loaded. Our SOS may take a hit through much of January but should come on strong at the end.

Reaction Score
It's a little early to put much stock in the RPI. There may be a perception issue as we dont really have a marquee name in the OOC schedule. FSU and Tennessee are the two "names" and the latter is pretty poor this year. Our best OOC game may end up being Harvard which doesn't have a ton of cache. What is helping however is that it appears we may have fewer super-cupcakes this year. Also, our BE slate is back loaded. Our SOS may take a hit through much of January but should come on strong at the end.

Agree about the it being too early for the RPI. I actually was only looking at the RPI to see the SOS #s thus far. I only pointed out Fairfields RPI b/c it is not 200+ like some of cupcakes from past years.

Reaction Score
The lie of RPI is proven out by this stat. All UConn has done is played mid-majors who aren't at the bottom of their conferences, Harvard, Fairfield, Wagner, etc. and suddenly their SOS looks strong. Meanwhile, in other years, they could play Texas, Tennessee, Michigan St., Kentucky, etc., in out of conference games, alongside Stony Brok and Paul Quinn (saw Baylor has a game against Paul tonight) and their SOS would not look as strong. The fact that UConn has a strong SOS for this year shows me what's wrong with SOS. Last year, UConn had THE toughest schedule in the entire country. This year, they have a relatively easy one.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Agree about the it being too early for the RPI. I actually was only looking at the RPI to see the SOS #s thus far. I only pointed out Fairfields RPI b/c it is not 200+ like some of cupcakes from past years.

Although Fairfield is decent this year ... that RPI will likely plummet as they get into conference play.

Reaction Score
Although Fairfield is decent this year ... that RPI will likely plummet as they get into conference play.

Shouldn't it rise? A big part of RPI is wins. Their SOS will plummet, but their RPI will stay high if they beat up on their conference.

Reaction Score
The lie of RPI is proven out by this stat. All UConn has done is played mid-majors who aren't at the bottom of their conferences, Harvard, Fairfield, Wagner, etc. and suddenly their SOS looks strong. Meanwhile, in other years, they could play Texas, Tennessee, Michigan St., Kentucky, etc., in out of conference games, alongside Stony Brok and Paul Quinn (saw Baylor has a game against Paul tonight) and their SOS would not look as strong. The fact that UConn has a strong SOS for this year shows me what's wrong with SOS. Last year, UConn had THE toughest schedule in the entire country. This year, they have a relatively easy one.

Completely agree, well said.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not too long ago our SOS in the Sagarin was 336 the last week of December. Out of 336 teams at the time.

Reaction Score
UConn's KenPom SoS is 183, which sounds about right.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I can't even follow this for UConn right now. Whatever it is, it would be too high or meaningless. Simply put not a good season to pay attention to this stat, at least not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom