Strengths for Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Strengths for Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Play Big?
Enoch and Brimah at the same time?
Two foul machines (if you can base your opinion, which is wrong, on Larrier, mine on these 2 is eyeball on), two offensive liabilities (SE may be better) and one with no hands.
Biggest needs are consistency at PG and the #5
If Brimah doesn't come back with a more complete package, its time to move on - I think KF will be a better player next year
So you think Brimah has no worth at all?

Reaction Score
Substitute Enoch in the starting lineup for Facey/Larrier combo and your all set. Facey and Larrier are too small to be playing the 4 and aren't stretch 4's ala DeAndre Daniels to be able to play with them. We need to go big and set the tone against teams. We need to dominate the glass like we used to. We also will have a big guy in Enoch who can you play through offensively and will not get pushed around, and a shot blocker to go with him in Brimah.
Starting lineup: Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, Enoch, and Brimah
Brimah and Enoch are our only two centers, they are both INSANELY foul prone and you want to start them together? No offense but I think that's a terrible idea.

Reaction Score
I hope Ollie is still in contact with VJ King in case things really go bad for U of L.

Reaction Score
Yep, Durham could be a real gem. Not sure when he will be ready, but the talk of redshirting is a Boneyard idea that may well not happen. Not our call, obviously. He looks like he's got "it." Now if he has two good knees to go with "it," he can be an offensive threat inside eventually (although certainly not the muscle guy).
There was an article stating that he likely won't be cleared to return to the court until September. He will have already missed an entire year or year and a half of high school (and AAU) basketball and be on two untested knee. He mentioned himself that redshirting is a real possibility. In my opinion it's a lot to expect him to be ready to contribute next season. He hasn't played in a long time and he'll have about two months (once he's cleared) before the season starts to get fully prepared to play high D1 ball. That's a lot to ask of a guy with those kind of injuries who hasn't played in so long. I hope he can play next year, but personally I'm not expecting it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Next year will be the first year that we aren't significantly impacted by the APR penalty. 2017-2018 is where we really get a sense of what a relatively mature KO team looks like. Next year is a bit of crap shoot but we have some nice pieces.

I'm looking forward to Sophomore Jalen. We got a taste of that this past few weeks. The kid is talented and absolutely has the Connecticut guard mind set.

DHam is an enigma to me. He is enormously athletic, yet has big shooting slumps. From what I see there is an easy fix for that. Often DHam takes off balance shots, usually while drifting. These shot are hard to sink but because he is so gifted he can make them work. I'd love to see him get back to basics - square and shoot. I think he becomes enormously more effective with this simple fix. I also think he may be a player who does better with a specific play rather that have isolating him and letting him create. He seems to struggle with his decision making.

Brimah? I'm skeptical that he will be much more that he's shown this year. He's effective against teams without dominant big man. I'd like him to work on his hands so that he's a better finisher.

Because Brimah is what he is, we need Enoch to take a huge jump forward to give us the physicality that we are lacking. I'm not sure that will happen, but it could. Enoch is warrior.

Tough to know what Facey will bring. He had flashes this year, but I don't think that he's the presence we are lacking in the paint.

I'm hesitant to put too much onto the newcomers, because there is an unfair tendency to take their best moments and assume that they will at least perform at that level. They will bring what they'll bring. I like the additions on paper though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DHam is an enigma to me. He is enormously athletic, yet has big shooting slumps.
That's the thing - he's not particularly athletic at all, which is why he's a poor finisher at the rim. He doesn't have the speed to create separation, nor the hops to finish among the trees. Go back and watch the game at Tulane (!!!). Poor kid got embarrassed on about 4 straight drives by Jarreau, and didn't go back to the hoop again.

And so he's forced to take a lot of very difficult shots, especially since - until Adams's late break-out - we didn't have anybody else on the roster who could create shots for others with any sort of consistency.

As Adams gets better, DHam will get better shots, and he will make a higher percentage.

Reaction Score
That's the thing - he's not particularly athletic at all, which is why he's a poor finisher at the rim. He doesn't have the speed to create separation, nor the hops to finish among the trees. Go back and watch the game at Tulane (!!!). Poor kid got embarrassed on about 4 straight drives by Jarreau, and didn't go back to the hoop again.

And so he's forced to take a lot of very difficult shots, especially since - until Adams's late break-out - we didn't have anybody else on the roster who could create shots for others with any sort of consistency.

As Adams gets better, DHam will get better shots, and he will make a higher percentage.
Further, if he's ever the third, rather than first or second, playmaker, we'll really see the quality of his looks improve.

As for his athleticism, you're entirely right. I'd say his biggest issue is his first step. Unless and until he becomes an absolutely deadly shooter, this will always be a problem. For him to reach his potential, he needs to be a 40%+ 3 point shooter.

Reaction Score
Unless and until he becomes an absolutely deadly shooter, this will always be a problem. For him to reach his potential, he needs to be a 40%+ 3 point shooter.
Yup. And to put a fine point on it: I think there's a much better chance of him becoming a 40% shooter from deep than there is of him becoming an elite finisher at the hoop. He does not have that kind of explosion or extension, and he knows it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yup. And to put a fine point on it: I think there's a much better chance of him becoming a 40% shooter from deep than there is of him becoming an elite finisher at the hoop. He does not have that kind of explosion or extension, and he knows it.

I think if he shot half the time he pump-faked, he'd have shot 5% better. When he's square, he's a decent shooter.

Reaction Score
I think if he shot half the time he pump-faked, he'd have shot 5% better. When he's square, he's a decent shooter.
Amen. It was nice to see him largely ditch the pump-fake by mid-February.

Reaction Score
When we look back at the team this year, the two biggest strengths were our defense and our foul shooting. We were an average offensive team, and a below average rebounding team.

Hard to predict what we will be next year, but I see no reason why we can't expect to still be a Top 5 defense. Yes we lose Gibbs and Miller, but by all accounts Gilbert is a plus defender already. With Gilbert, Purvis and Adams ability to play the perimeter, and Brimah still manning the middle, I think this team can continue to be an elite defensive team.

Losing Gibbs and Miller will hurt on the foul line. Gibbs was an 85% foul shooter who seemed to make all the big FTs. Miller was I think as 75% foul shooter, which is great for a big man. Still, Adams and Hamilton are great from the line, Purvis was close to an 80% shooter from January on, and it looks like Gilbert shot 77% in high school. We should still should be a really good foul shooting team.

Everyone talks about the improvement of Adams, Hamilton and Purvis for next year as the keys. I really think the inclusion of Gilbert is the key. If he can come in and play like a Kemba or Shabazz as a freshman, this team takes off. I say that because if they have another ball handler who can get to the rim, finish, and more importantly set up his teammates, than Ollie's offense will run more effectively. Purvis will be open on the wings. Adams as well. And he will be able to get the ball to Hamilton in spots where he can be most effective.

Losing Miller will end up being a bigger deal than losing Gibbs. Enoch really needs to improve. Facey needs to as well. Larrier will see time at the 4, and by all accounts Ollie has had him in the weight room with this in mind. I agree that Brimah is what he is, and I don't see significant improvement coming. I think Diarra will play more than people think. I am not counting on Durham, and I see him redshirting.

Finally, I think Vance Jackson may have a bigger role on this team than people think, IF he can hit outside shots. This guy is 6'8, and is an outstanding shooter. I understand he has to transition to the college game, but put him on the floor with guys like Adams and Hamilton, and he will get outside looks.
I agree with this. I can see a lot of lineups when we go small with Dham or Larrier at the 4 and Jackson at the 3 for outside shooting. We aren't asking him to be our starting SF but definitely a shooter who could hit open shots.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Meh, he's a 6'8" SF with a decent handle. He's not a slasher, though he thinks he is. Disagree re hops. He can get up there. See below.

upload_2016-3-20_15-31-16.png

He's not extraordinary at any one thing but he's decent at a lot. To me it's his decision making, mechanics and confidence are what he needs to work on. All fixable things.

Last edited:

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
There was an article stating that he likely won't be cleared to return to the court until September. He will have already missed an entire year or year and a half of high school (and AAU) basketball and be on two untested knee. He mentioned himself that redshirting is a real possibility. In my opinion it's a lot to expect him to be ready to contribute next season. He hasn't played in a long time and he'll have about two months (once he's cleared) before the season starts to get fully prepared to play high D1 ball. That's a lot to ask of a guy with those kind of injuries who hasn't played in so long. I hope he can play next year, but personally I'm not expecting it.

You're right that may well be a good idea for him to redshirt. I'm not expecting it or pushing for him to play, just don't think the redshirting is a done deal until we hear him say it is.

Reaction Score
I would love to see our big men start finishing at the hoop. Home many times have we witnessed PN or AB catch a pass with on open dunk only for them to bobble the ball and/or get their shot blocked. Not seeing that as much next year would be a huge step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
With Larrier, Purvis, Hamilton and JA on the court, we should be able to really spread the court.

I actually wonder about our ability to spread the floor. Of this group only one has shown to be a proficient 3-point shooter. We really need Hamilton and/or Adams to improve their outside shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom