Strength and Conditioning -Travis Illian, PhD. | The Boneyard

Strength and Conditioning -Travis Illian, PhD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In his piece about Nolan and Tolksdorf, Amore wrote, " The Huskies have a new strength and conditioning coach, Travis Illian, who was previously at Alabama. Chris West is going to devote more time to UConn soccer."

I remember reading West's remarks, recently linked in the Nolan gains weight thread, that he does not prescribe an exact diet because that diminishes the probability of compliance. Then, I thought, why would someone chose to move to soccer from arguably the sport that makes UConn a national brand?

Think it may be to make room for someone special. Illian has a PhD. in human performance from Alabama where he was the strength and conditioning coach for the #3 ranked women's gymnastics team. The coach and several athletes credit him for their improved performance.

Alabama, also, seems to play football, a sport where strength and conditioning is important. Their team has had some success.

In my opinion, this is no small acquisition. Whether the credit goes to the AD or KO, I am impressed. Maybe Nolan WILL put on 9 lbs. more by the first game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but you are knocking a guy going from BB to soccer....yet extolling the virtues of a guy from a women's gymnastics program?

Understand your point, but just found it funny.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but you are knocking a guy going from BB to soccer....yet extolling the virtues of a guy from a women's gymnastics program?

I am not meaning to be knocking anyone. I am supposing West was re-purposed (good luck to him) and I wondered why.

I am excited that there is a basis to believe that UConn went out and got someone with the expectation that he would be able to improve the BB team's strength and conditioning.

KO has brought a sports psychologist to practice and has had refs at practice. http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...ball-kevin-ollie-making-program-his-own-video

I am so impressed. He is creating an environment of excellence, making a great school for his basketball players. Come to UConn, KO will help you reach your potential.

Reaction Score

You vastly underestimate the strength of a gymnast then. Women or men. Pound for pound the strongest athletes on Earth. Compared to soccer players? Thats a joke.

Reaction Score
Gaining weight doesn't always help in basketball. It can limit speed, reduce vertical jump, reduce stamina. I trust our staff though

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
You vastly underestimate the strength of a gymnast then. Women or men. Pound for pound the strongest athletes on Earth. Compared to soccer players? Thats a joke.

Far and away the greatest athletes on earth, imo, forget just strongest pound for pound. No sport requires such a comprehensive, holistic requirement of strength, power, motility, flexibility, balance, quickness, and precision like gymnastics does.

Those girls have those legs and asses for a reason.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
Gaining weight doesn't always help in basketball. It can limit speed, reduce vertical jump, reduce stamina.
No, but in some cases (like Phil, Kentan, and Amida) it is needed. We need strength and size down low, 10-15 pounds will only help IMO.

Reaction Score
There's a reason gymnasts are tiny........and it's not because they're the strongest! Although they are very strong and amazing at what they do, not much to lift or length to control.........but they work damn hard to be who they are!!! Much respect.....

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Far and away the greatest athletes on earth, imo, forget just strongest pound for pound. No sport requires such a comprehensive, holistic requirement of strength, power, motility, flexibility, balance, quickness, and precision like gymnastics does.
Those girls have those legs and asses for a reason.

Just to play devil's advocate for fun. Ant's are one of the strongest pound for pound animals on the planet. Doesn't mean I want them drawing my plow.

Also, gymnastics are largely anaerobic, which doesn't necessarily translate as well to more aerobic sports like basketball.

Note: I'm not married to this argument at all. Just putting it out there for the sake/fun of it. see mau's post above.

Reaction Score
If nothing else, the one thing they will likely take from working with Dr. Illian is body control. I shared this hire with my wife who is a former competitive gymnast and still works out in adult classes from time to time. She says the main focus will likely be on core strength and how to control one's body when in the air. If you think about it, that would be a perfect fit for a basketball team, especially one as athletic and willing to run as UConn seems to be. Also, having our bigs be a little more coordinated when in the air trying to disrupt/block shots may not be the worst thing in the world. Lastly, gymnasts are able to pack on muscle without lifting a ton of weights or losing flexibility. We've all seen big guys who are so jacked that they can barely put their arms down but pick up fouls getting off the bus. He could help in this respect as well.

In KO I trust.

Reaction Score
I kind of had a crush a Olga Korbit...a cute little communist.

Reaction Score
I kind of had a crush a Olga Korbit...a cute little communist.

Were you drinking a ton of Schlitz kingers watching the Olymics following it with some Mad Dag 20/20 back then???:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Were you drinking a ton of Schlitz kingers watching the Olymics following it with some Mad Dag 20/20 back then???:rolleyes:
Nope, Narragansett GIQs, beer but best bang for the buck. There was just something about the way Olga mounted the horse.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nope, Narragansett GIQs, ty beer but best bang for the buck. There was just something about the way Olga mounted the horse.

What kinda freaky are you into, Danzz?

Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate for fun. Ant's are one of the strongest pound for pound animals on the planet. Doesn't mean I want them drawing my plow.

Also, gymnastics are largely anaerobic, which doesn't necessarily translate as well to more aerobic sports like basketball.

Note: I'm not married to this argument at all. Just putting it out there for the sake/fun of it. see mau's post above.

I can also step on an ant and kill it. I think that squashes this discussion.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I can also step on an ant and kill it. I think that squashes this discussion.

Pretty much any football player can sit on a female gymnast and crush her. What's the difference? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom