Streaming College Sports | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Streaming College Sports

Reaction Score
Doesn't CBS Sports hold the rights to televise our football games?
Yeah i was thinking they may transition to something that they can generate more revenue from if CBSSN wants to continue paying them pittance for games.

One thing i have thought about if whether CBSSN or someone else, UConn goes to them and says currently B1G Teams or SEC teams get X dollars per game. Be our partner in giving us X per game and we will schedule and pay them for a trip E Hartford. So schedule a home and home with Tennessee and pay them for the return trip here.

Dont know if it will work but UConn has to think of different ways to generate interesting schedules and revenue because its clear they are frozen out of the Power Structure and they're going to have do things outside the box and soon.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If you read the article things are headed toward OTA options. The bundle is dying and fast.

Yes, and OTA are just as coupled to bundling. Cable subs dropping drops their retransmission fees, which drops their revenue.

Yes, they can go back to ad revenue only, but that's the equivalent to ESPN going streaming. It's a big leap.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah i was thinking they may transition to something that they can generate more revenue from if CBSSN wants to continue paying them pittance for games.

One thing i have thought about if whether CBSSN or someone else, UConn goes to them and says currently B1G Teams or SEC teams get X dollars per game. Be our partner in giving us X per game and we will schedule and pay them for a trip E Hartford. So schedule a home and home with Tennessee and pay them for the return trip here.

Dont know if it will work but UConn has to think of different ways to generate interesting schedules and revenue because its clear they are frozen out of the Power Structure and they're going to have do things outside the box and soon.

Everyone is going to be in the same boat. A “P4” schedule of games people don’t care about is not going to drive subscribers.

Whittingham knows the Big 12 is a cash grab placeholder. Every conference will need to reassess scheduling. The games are the product, not the teams.

Reaction Score
Everyone is going to be in the same boat. A “P4” schedule of games people don’t care about is not going to drive subscribers.

Whittingham knows the Big 12 is a cash grab placeholder. Every conference will need to reassess scheduling. The games are the product, not the teams.
Not sure i follow. More people will tune in to watch Oklahoma than Tulsa. More will watch Florida than Florida Atlantic.

Reaction Score
The national public has shown they have interest in watching marquee match ups, big football brands, and games between ranked teams.

There will be boutique offerings available to stream like Appalachian State versus ECU...but the big numbers will be in the marquee matches.

That could be why there seems to be a trend of concentrating "brands" in fewer conferences....ultimately, it will be a P2 that becomes the heavyweight division.

Reaction Score
I think the point is Oklahoma-Texas is a draw in a way Oklahoma-Tulsa is not. Casual flipping to random games is a luxury of the cable past. The key would be for the top conferences to root out the Tulsa’s amongst them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not sure i follow. More people will tune in to watch Oklahoma than Tulsa. More will watch Florida than Florida Atlantic.

Iowa fans will want to see Iowa play Minnesota and Wisconsin and Illinois, not half a schedule of Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA and Oregon. Throwing a bunch of random games on streaming and hoping people watch is a bad strategy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The national public has shown they have interest in watching marquee match ups, big football brands, and games between ranked teams.

There will be boutique offerings available to stream like Appalachian State versus ECU...but the big numbers will be in the marquee matches.

That could be why there seems to be a trend of concentrating "brands" in fewer conferences....ultimately, it will be a P2 that becomes the heavyweight division.

That is the linear argument. Try that in a streaming world, let me know how it goes.

Reaction Score
Iowa fans will want to see Iowa play Minnesota and Wisconsin and Illinois, not half a schedule of Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA and Oregon. Throwing a bunch of random games on streaming and hoping people watch is a bad strategy.
Iowa fans are going to tune in to see Iowa no matter who they play. I'd be shocked if there was any difference in the #of Iowa fans that tune in to watch Iowa/Oregon vs Iowa/Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Stream or linear....SEC folks will watch their teams...Ohio State.Michigan, FSU, etc will be watched...

Indiana, Northwestern, Appy State, not so much.

Reaction Score
My guess is that those schools in the bottom 50 of merchandising sales...BC, USF, Colorado State, Northwestern, JMU, Temple, etc...may correlate to fewer die hard streamers....while the top 25 in merchandise sales will see more streamers...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LOL...we'll all see how it goes....the crowds will line up to stream UMass vs RI.

This is the high water mark for FSU. ESPN and the ACC have set the entire ACC TV contract and broadcast structure to maximize viewers for FSU. Anyone that was ever going to be a FSU fan is already an FSU fan. It is all downhill from here.

In streaming, ESPN can’t tell us who to watch. People will watch their team, and maybe a few other games. There won’t be a linear broadcaster to shove FSU down all of our throats.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Iowa fans are going to tune in to see Iowa no matter who they play. I'd be shocked if there was any difference in the #of Iowa fans that tune in to watch Iowa/Oregon vs Iowa/Minnesota.

I agree that Iowa fans will always watch their own team over some random borderline top 25 like FSU, but within Iowa’s schedule, all games won’t be the same. Rivalries matter.

Reaction Score
Stream or linear....SEC folks will watch their teams...Ohio State.Michigan, FSU, etc will be watched...

Indiana, Northwestern, Appy State, not so much.
Lets not act like FSU is Florida now.

Reaction Score
Lets not act like FSU is Florida now.

Heck no...FSU was the 15th most watched team last season...Florida was #11.

But FSU was playing ACC dreck on ACCN for many of their games...still more watched than Auburn, A&M, Michigan State.....

Reaction Score
“We must hang together or surely we shall hang separately.”

ESPN, and thus sports at large, benefitted from the cable subscriber who did not watch sports. When you bundle products together, maybe everyone benefits.

If we’re living in a world where every interest is going to be a niche moving forward, that means that there’s less and less money available for any one thing. And the dictates of capitalism are grow or die.

All of us pay for TV that we do not watch....those niches are available (cooking shows, religious channels, travel channels, home building channels, etc) because they are bundled. How many wiould exist as an expensive stand alone niche show ?

I know that I am a Boomer (and a first Boomer born in "46)...and my view reflects my experiences and may be different than a Millenial....but as a Florida guy for 66 years, I view what is happening in college football as similar to what happens when the mangroves were cut and marshes begin to wash away. Taking the PAC away weakens the whole system. Leaving college football vulnerable to the next storm.

The loss of regionalism in conferences has been an erosion and we are now beginning to see collapses of that ecosytem.

The strength of the SEC has been their regional culture, the strength of the regional fans. Fans that watch as many games of other SEC teams as they do. Fans that chant SEC, SEC even while their team is a bottom dweller in conference....kids in the south want to play in that league.

The PAC going through a diaspora may not see weakened football interest in the west, but it could be chipped away...erosion.

Reaction Score
I agree that Iowa fans will always watch their own team over some random borderline top 25 like FSU, but within Iowa’s schedule, all games won’t be the same. Rivalries matter.
I think you are right in that sense, but it matters more to the schools left behind. I think Oregon State and Washington State are gonna learn the lesson we learned in the AAC. Their state legislatures should DEMAND that OU and UW play their sister schools yearly. They will slowly see their fan interest dissipate if forced to play schools they view as being a lower level. No different than how slowly our fan interest waned when we had to play ECU and Tulsa in basketball.

Reaction Score

But FSU was playing ACC dreck on ACCN for many of their games...still more watched than Auburn, A&M, Michigan State.....
Florida is like #3 in Merch sales. FSU barely in the top 25. FSU had a bounce back season last year winning 10 games while UF was had the same record as UConn. At least compare Apples to apples. FSU is the little sister UF football. Be real.

Reaction Score
Ohhh...hate on...FSU was the 15th most watched team last year...I get it that you don't like the team...but facts are facts.

And...

These numbers are averages from 2015 to 2019 , so they do not include the covid 2020 or 2021 years.

FSU...#14

Don't fret about about the Noles...they are fine.

Reaction Score

But FSU was playing ACC dreck on ACCN for many of their games...still more watched than Auburn, A&M, Michigan State...
FSU football is a big deal. I’m not sure why anyone would downplay it. FSU stands to benefit immensely by being in the SEC. It will quadruple the number of “big games” on the schedule from an FSU perspective, which will quickly expand the brand even further.

Reaction Score
Ohhh...hate on...FSU was the 15th most watched team last year...I get it that you don't like the team...but facts are facts.

And...

These numbers are averages from 2015 to 2019 , so they do not include the covid 2020 or 2021 years.

FSU...#14

Don't fret about about the Noles...they are fine.
I don't not like the FSU. I don't like you telling us how great they are. We don't really give a flying saluki about Seminoles and their whiny plight about not making enough in the ACC when they willingly signed their rights away for 20 years.

Reaction Score
You reacted to this post....I posted a fact as I saw it...not boastful...just based on my opinion.

Reaction Score
Streaming…seems like a fan will sign up for the conference his team is in and watch conference games..maybe thats why the big 10 has 20 teams now… the more teams in a conference..the more money… especially when those teams have big fan bases

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny

Top Bottom