stream for S Florida at Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

stream for S Florida at Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Husky Rule and East TX
I don't think the difference in assists is specific to either three point shooting or Moriah shooting more than Niya - The total assists are similar between the two teams and Moriah isn't scoring that much more than Niya per game or per season. It is that the motion offense that Uconn runs means that while Moriah may initiate the offense by bring the ball into the front court, the flow of the offensive set means that each pass and move is designed to result in the next pass being the one that creates the best opening for a shooter to shoot. So Moriah passes to Morgan who may pass to a cutting Breanna or a spotting up Kia, or that with the pass out to Kia, Morgan's cut may lead to a return pass to her for the shot. The reason Moriah doesn't get as many assists is that everyone else on the court is also 'playing point' and getting lots of assists as well. The total assists are similar, they are just more evenly distributed and it has always been that way.
I bet if you did an analysis of the time each player had possession of the ball in the Uconn and Baylor season, you would find the percentage of time Moriah had the ball for Uconn was much lower than the percentage that Niya had it for Baylor. In Baylor's offense, the ball is continually coming back to Niya to start a new play if the first sequence didn't result in a shot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Husky Rule and East TX
I don't think the difference in assists is specific to either three point shooting or Moriah shooting more than Niya - The total assists are similar between the two teams and Moriah isn't scoring that much more than Niya per game or per season. It is that the motion offense that Uconn runs means that while Moriah may initiate the offense by bring the ball into the front court, the flow of the offensive set means that each pass and move is designed to result in the next pass being the one that creates the best opening for a shooter to shoot. So Moriah passes to Morgan who may pass to a cutting Breanna or a spotting up Kia, or that with the pass out to Kia, Morgan's cut may lead to a return pass to her for the shot. The reason Moriah doesn't get as many assists is that everyone else on the court is also 'playing point' and getting lots of assists as well. The total assists are similar, they are just more evenly distributed and it has always been that way.
I bet if you did an analysis of the time each player had possession of the ball in the Uconn and Baylor season, you would find the percentage of time Moriah had the ball for Uconn was much lower than the percentage that Niya had it for Baylor. In Baylor's offense, the ball is continually coming back to Niya to start a new play if the first sequence didn't result in a shot.

Two great point guards that get it done in different ways.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I think you are correct.

Just once I'd love to see USF start out quickly against a ranked opponent. Invariably, they start out slow and have to climb out of a big hole, just like in this game.

USF is still learning how to win against quality opponents. Having said that, they do have a lot of heart and never give up. I suspect that sooner, rather than later, USF will get over the hump and get a statement WIN. We have a few other good opportunities against non conference opponents, such as Miss St and Louisville.

Hope you win them all! (OOC games, that is, and most of your AAC ones, too!)

Reaction Score
Husky Rule and East TX

Well said. Johnson had 322 assists last year and while Wright had 91, five UConn players had over 100. Jefferson only had 191 but the team had 828 to Baylor's 772.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well said. Johnson had 322 assists last year and while Wright had 91, five UConn players had over 100. Jefferson only had 191 but the team had 828 to Baylor's 772.

UCONN played two more games than Baylor. UCONN averaged 21.23 assists per game and Baylor averaged 20.86. UCONN averaged .37 more assists a game than Baylor.

UCONN won a national championship, Baylor didn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a player get an assist if they pass the ball to an open teammate who then makes a 3?

I think what keeps Jefferson's assist numbers lower is not that UCONN relies on the three, but that she shoots more than Johnson (not a knock) and that UCONN has more good passers, which means that the assists are more spread out.

Of course. My point was simply that you're going to get many, many more assists passing the ball to bigs in the paint and within 8-10 feet of the basket (because they're taking an easier, higher percentage shot) than you will ever get passing the ball to players shooting from long-range, beyond 20'9". It just seems logical to me.

Reaction Score
Johnson is a classic PG and a great one. So is MO. If MO had the ball in her hands as much as Johnson she could have 13 assists too. Uc and others explained perfectly how the offenses differ and the reasoning for the difference in total assists. However, here is where the team difference and team success comes in for me. Most alert posters will notice (and was mentioned above) that the play usually starts with Johnson. If Geno corrals the "play starter" then the others are not really used to starting the play or assisting on the basket. It changes their pattern & makes them less comfortable.
Again someone mentioned above that the second best assist # was 91 and the third was 74. Whereas UConn had every starter over 100 and subs with 74. Not so easy to stop UConn because of the motion offense and how Geno/CD instills the versatility of each player and the skill set to play multiple positions. Just this week Geno mentioned that Stewie can play all 5 positions. Geno mentioned that Gabby could guard anyone on the court. He also said that the Frosh could play 3 positions if necessary. As mentioned above, UConn's players are all comfortable with passing the ball to an open team mate.
IN a nutshell, double teaming or shutting down or slowing down Johnson would hurt Baylor since she has that lead role by a significant margin. UConn is more balanced. Have not seen Baylor play this year yet, but I do consider them a very dangerous team. South Carolina, ND & Tenn should hope they don't run into Baylor at the elite 8.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Of course. My point was simply that you're going to get many, many more assists passing the ball to bigs in the paint and within 8-10 feet of the basket (because they're taking an easier, higher percentage shot) than you will ever get passing the ball to players shooting from long-range, beyond 20'9". It just seems logical to me.

And it is much easier to pass the ball to a three point shooter and then let her shoot than it is to pass a ball to a big in the paint to lead them into a position that they can make a shot.

Jefferson also has better players to pass to, that are going to make a higher percentage of shots than Baylor players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

It would be nice to compare the shooting percentages of the Baylor bigs to the three-point shooters for UCONN. UCONN has some great shooters so the difference may not be as big as one would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom