Strategy for OSU | The Boneyard

Strategy for OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems pretty simple to me. Put a lid on Kelsey, no?
Mo or Kia or both?

Reaction Score
Seems pretty simple to me. Put a lid on Kelsey, no?
Mo or Kia or both?
In my opinion Alston is the key to beating OSU. Mitchell is going to get her 25 because she is virtually unstoppable with her ability to shoot the jump shot as well as being able to get to the rim and finish through contact. And that's jus,t fine as long as Alston is kept in check. I would have Jefferson guard Mitchell and have her harass all over the court in order to tire her out and I would have Nurse guard Alston.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Start denying Mitchell the ball once she gets off the bus. Vary the look for speed use Mo Jefferson, for size use Kia, for length and size- Collier, Just to change it up put Gabby on her. Run the UCONN offense get her switched on to Morgan or Gabby and make sure she is expending maximum energy on defense. This is A small thing but guard the ball outof bounds. The entire OSU offense is designed to get her the ball on the move heading up the court. SoutCarolina gave her a free inbounds pass everytime last night.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
In my opinion Alston is the key to beating OSU. Mitchell is going to get her 25 because she is virtually unstoppable with her ability to shoot the jump shot as well as being able to get to the rim and finish through contact. And that's jus,t fine as long as Alston is kept in check. I would have Jefferson guard Mitchell and have her harass all over the court in order to tire her out and I would have Nurse guard Alston.

Yep, you got it. Moriah on Mitchell and Nurse on Alston. Alston can be a big headache for you if you focus too much on Mitchell (as SC learned last night)..

Your big girls, Tuck and Stewart, as mobile as they are.. they'll be open all night and eat Ohio State's lunch.. tOSU couldn't contain SC's bigs after several months of game planning, they definitely won't have an answer for Stewart and Tuck after a few days rest..

Reaction Score
Yep, you got it. Moriah on Mitchell and Nurse on Alston. Alston can be a big headache for you if you focus too much on Mitchell (as SC learned last night)..

Your big girls, Tuck and Stewart, as mobile as they are.. they'll be open all night and eat Ohio State's lunch.. tOSU couldn't contain SC's bigs after several months of game planning, they definitely won't have an answer for Stewart and Tuck after a few days rest..

What did you think of the SC performance? Do you think they should have won by more? Do you think it's just getting some rust off? You have to like that they put the game away when they needed to?

Reaction Score
As a team, Ohio State shot about 32% from the floor against a very porous SC defense. How about playing UCONN defense that allowed 48.6 points per game last year and let Ohio State worry about how they are going to stop Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Nurse and whoever else Geno throws at them. :D

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
What did you think of the SC performance? Do you think they should have won by more? Do you think it's just getting some rust off? You have to like that they put the game away when they needed to?

I thought it was an okay performance. The positives, we got the win and we have film on a lot of things that we need to do to get better. I also like the idea of playing a good opponent early in the season. We now have a barometer for where we are at this point in the season. The negatives, our guard play still worries me because our shooters disappear at times and our interior/post to post passing was very subpar. Our passing will improve (it always does), but we need more consistency from our scorers. We definitely could've scored more, we didn't really pound the ball inside like we normally do and when we did our timing was off at times. A'ja scored 20 and Coates scored 17 but in my opinion they could've dominated more. Had there been an additional quarter, SC probably would've won by 20. In the 4th, Ohio State was just empty but our starting post players were just warming up at that point.. Wilson and Coates were just turning it on. I do like our ability to turn it up in the 4th, and that's due to having good depth and a rotation in place.

I was impressed by Sessions. She's focused and way more aggressive offensively, which is what we've knocked her for in the past. I also like it when we play the full court game, we were more crisp moving the ball. It was beautiful watching us move and score in the first quarter. The key for SC is to figure out how to play fast while still being able to execute offensively.

Reaction Score
OSU handed SC the game with their "excess" fouling. I wasn't close enough to the action so I cannot agree or disagree with the refs' calls. This is something that OSU has to correct before they employ their game strategy against UCONN. From what I saw, Monday's game should be a blowout at the 5 minute mark of 2Q.

Reaction Score

When a team has a top shooting player (K.Mitchell) Geno occasionally will allow her to shoot her arms off and work to contain the other 4--it usually works. Ever see a Women player get 90 points in a game??
I like the thought of putting Gabby on Mitchell--let us see how she does. I think everyone will be surprised!!
Unstoppable?? Do what teams do to Stewie (DT, Maya, Etc) bump her push her rough her up--it takes them out of their rhythm and it works.

Reaction Score
OSU handed SC the game with their "excess" fouling. I wasn't close enough to the action so I cannot agree or disagree with the refs' calls. This is something that OSU has to correct before they employ their game strategy against UCONN. From what I saw, Monday's game should be a blowout at the 5 minute mark of 2Q.

I re-watched the game and South Carolina definitely got some "home cooking" from the officials. IMHO that is a different game if it was played in Columbus.

Reaction Score
I re-watched the game and South Carolina definitely got some "home cooking" from the officials. IMHO that is a different game if it was played in Columbus.
I read that South of the Mason Dixon line last year when USC played UConn at home.

Reaction Score
As a team, Ohio State shot about 32% from the floor against a very porous SC defense. How about playing UCONN defense that allowed 48.6 points per game last year and let Ohio State worry about how they are going to stop Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Nurse and whoever else Geno throws at them. :D
Bingo. No 88-80 WBB game has a lot of defense.

I think it's great that OSU can come into Monday's game now with the confidence that they can play with anybody. Unfortunately their definition of "anybody" is getting ready to change.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Any team that gets only three (3!) assists against SC is going to be indeep doodoo against the Huskies. And they are about as likely to get 30+ free throws as (pick your metaphor). UConn by a whole bunch.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
When we dropped an early-season road game to Stanford last year, it was (at least partially) because we hadn't forged an identity just yet with the graduations of Stef and Bria in 2014. Kiah and KML are significant losses, but I don't see them as the heart and soul of last year's UConn team like Bria and Stef were the year before. What is still critical, however, is whether this incarnation of the UConn Huskies has forged an identity with its returning superstars and promising new arrivals. If it has, it's an easy win. If not, at least some bets are off Monday.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When we dropped an early-season road game to Stanford last year, it was (at least partially) because we hadn't forged an identity just yet with the graduations of Stef and Bria in 2014. Kiah and KML are significant losses, but I don't see them as the heart and soul of last year's UConn team like Bria and Stef were the year before. What is still critical, however, is whether this incarnation of the UConn Huskies has forged an identity with its returning superstars and promising new arrivals. If it has, it's an easy win. If not, at least some bets are off Monday.
Last year, the attitude seemed different. When the team went to Calif., Geno announced that he was going to Napa for the weekend. I think he was frustrated that the players were not listening to the coaches. Certainly, we learned that after the fact. It was even alluded to after cutting down the nets in Tampa. I have heard nothing to that effect this year. I don't think Moriah, Stewie, or Morgan would allow it. I am hoping that they start the year in "Wrath of God" mode, my friend. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last year, the attitude seemed different. When the team went to Calif., Geno announced that he was going to Napa for the weekend. I think he was frustrated that the players were not listening to the coaches. Certainly, we learned that after the fact. It was even alluded to after cutting down the nets in Tampa. I have heard nothing to that effect this year. I don't think Moriah, Stewie, or Morgan would allow it. I am hoping that they start the year in "Wrath of God" mode, my friend. ;)

Like to agree, 'cuz they are smart and should have memories and a BIG goal. Yet, Geno did say the other day that he doesn't know if this team wants to play defense.

Reaction Score
When a team has a top shooting player (K.Mitchell) Geno occasionally will allow her to shoot her arms off and work to contain the other 4--it usually works.

I too have seen this, but I have also seen a shooter burn us in the first half. Then the second half comes and we shut her down by denying her the ball (example: Jewel Lloyd and others). I usually end up wondering why Geno waited so long. Maybe he doesn't want to tip off his strategy too soon. But in this case I think he may try ball denial earlier, most likely with Mo. The reason I pick Mo is that she has proven she can play lock down defense without affecting her offense.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'd be tempted to start Nurse on her and give her a dose of a nasty piece of business. Then, I'd put Mo on her to frustrate her the rest of the night.

Reaction Score

I agree. That is why they call Geno THE MASTER. I am shocked when Uconn (in the past) was beaten in the first half and then the second half. I had come to expect Geno to stop the bleeding in the second half.
Geno, and staff, have been superb with stopping the other teams top gun--especially in the second half. I often thought that was by design. To not allow the other coach first half time and "half time" to counter Geno's methods. I'm sure Geno has today and maybe tomorrow and monday been working on how to slow down the top guns from OSU.
Mo is amazing in defense . She is more needed in leading and scoring. One poster offered why not Gabby on Mitchell?? Why not the kid plays decent defense, is quick, fast, energetic, and can block with precision. I hope Geno gives the kid the chance. If not Gabby, Nurse. OSU will score it just has to be kept to a reasonable number ---like 18.

Reaction Score
Like to agree, 'cuz they are smart and should have memories and a BIG goal. Yet, Geno did say the other day that he doesn't know if this team wants to play defense.
Isn't that Geno's annual comment--my guys can't play defense--do you know why?? Cuz they are girls, not guys. Kidding. I suspect they are not as good as they shall be nor as bad as they could be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Should be noted that Saniya Chong is officially out for Monday's game. So that's an 8-player roster with technically three guards and I doubt Ekmark will see the floor much.

I do kinda like John Glass's suggestion above. Some trapping of Mitchell when she's near the sideline might be a nice strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom