Story on A'ja Wilson | The Boneyard

Story on A'ja Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
from South Carolina site. http://www.thestate.com/2013/07/30/2890888/heathwood-halls-aja-wilson-wins.html

Talks about her U-19 experience. This particular blurb caught my attention:

Now, she can recover, reflect and prepare for the next nine months. Wilson turns 17 on Aug. 8, starts her senior year of high school on Aug. 21 and begins her senior season in November. From there until May, she’ll try to balance being the same teammate who has scored 2,170 career points and won back-to-back SCISA Player of the Year awards, being a normal teenager and being one of the nation’s most coveted recruits.

Naturally, the latter is what many will want to know about every day during the nine months, but Wilson has a quick answer — undecided.

I’m going to wait until May to commit,” Wilson said. “July and June were supposed to be my months, and being on Team USA kind of pushed everything back from me. I’ll think about my visits later. I have no favorites.”

I hadn't heard that before. Following the lead of Andrew Wiggins (boys No 1 2013) who waited until May of this year to commit.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is certainly the first I have heard as well, and I wonder if it isn't a typo - everything else I have seen suggests she is going to take her officials and then decide during the fall window.

Reaction Score
She needs to taker her time and enjoy the ride........I expect her to announce UCONN before May..........

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
As long as she choses between us and South Carolina I will be ok. Just no lady moles.

Reaction Score
If she waits until May 2014, how does this affect recruiting for the 2015 class? I imagine some 2015 forward/post recruits might be hesitant to commit to a team with Wilson on the roster and would decide after she announces her decision. I guess as long as they stay in the Uconn recruiting mix during Wilson's decision making period, maybe none.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If she waits until May 2014, how does this affect recruiting for the 2015 class? I imagine some 2015 forward/post recruits might be hesitant to commit to a team with Wilson on the roster and would decide after she announces her decision. I guess as long as they stay in the Uconn recruiting mix during Wilson's decision making period, maybe none.
I think more is made of the 'oh they already signed a ____ so I am going somewhere else' issue by fans than by the actual recruits. Some teams are famous for stockpiling good players at a single position so what happened with those recruits? I think there are a few instances where that has happened, but not that many. It probably happens more when a team is already loaded with top talent and recruits look elsewhere because there position is already stacked with established players.
I think a May decision (or any spring decision) is harder on selective coaches like Geno who tends not to over recruit but to aim for specific positions each year. I suspect he would recruit as if he has no chance at that player and close his books after the fall period - if he has a remaining scholarship for the late decider, great, if not, oh well. Gets into the idea that he only wants players who really want to play at Uconn - what is really going to change in 6 months? If you don't know in November of your Senior year, then you probably will be no clearer in May.

Reaction Score
Seeing her birthdate in black and white makes me realize, here's a superstar recruit that wasn't even born when the Huskies won their first NC. Not new kids in town anymore.

Reaction Score
I think more is made of the 'oh they already signed a ____ so I am going somewhere else' issue by fans than by the actual recruits. Some teams are famous for stockpiling good players at a single position so what happened with those recruits? I think there are a few instances where that has happened, but not that many. It probably happens more when a team is already loaded with top talent and recruits look elsewhere because there position is already stacked with established players.
I think a May decision (or any spring decision) is harder on selective coaches like Geno who tends not to over recruit but to aim for specific positions each year. I suspect he would recruit as if he has no chance at that player and close his books after the fall period - if he has a remaining scholarship for the late decider, great, if not, oh well. Gets into the idea that he only wants players who really want to play at Uconn - what is really going to change in 6 months? If you don't know in November of your Senior year, then you probably will be no clearer in May.
I agree that Geno will recruit for positional needs without counting on Wilson's spring commitment decision. Depending on who else commits to Uconn this year, there may be multiple needs for posts/forwards and he'll recruit accordingly.

Reaction Score
"“I’m going to wait until May to commit,” Wilson said. “July and June were supposed to be my months, and being on Team USA kind of pushed everything back from me. I’ll think about my visits later. I have no favorites.”

That is a remarkable quote, to say the least. I think it useful to here insert the old adage "...consider the source..." The source here involved is not a neutral one; it is the local South Carolina newspaper, therefore one that likely has a bias in favor of SC. We do not know what question was used to elicit that response. For example, the reporter could have posed a question that suggested that response. We don't know.

What we do know, however, is that making a decision that late puts more pressure on the top teams because those teams have other potential recruits to consider and a limited number of slots. SC is not a top 10, elite program. They are elite, perhaps, but not top 10, let alone in UCONN's class. There is room for A'ja at SC no matter when she makes her decision. That might be true for UCONN as well, given her talent and attributes level, but there are others nearly as good who might be considering UCONN but not SC.

I have to say, I hope A'ja will choose UCONN, of course, and I hope she decides on UCONN earlier than The State article says.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
"“I’m going to wait until May to commit,” Wilson said. “July and June were supposed to be my months, and being on Team USA kind of pushed everything back from me. I’ll think about my visits later. I have no favorites.”

That is a remarkable quote, to say the least. I think it useful to here insert the old adage "...consider the source..." The source here involved is not a neutral one; it is the local South Carolina newspaper, therefore one that likely has a bias in favor of SC. We do not know what question was used to elicit that response. For example, the reporter could have posed a question that suggested that response. We don't know.

What we do know, however, is that making a decision that late puts more pressure on the top teams because those teams have other potential recruits to consider and a limited number of slots. SC is not a top 10, elite program. They are elite, perhaps, but not top 10, let alone in UCONN's class. There is room for A'ja at SC no matter when she makes her decision. That might be true for UCONN as well, given her talent and attributes level, but there are others nearly as good who might be considering UCONN but not SC.

I have to say, I hope A'ja will choose UCONN, of course, and I hope she decides on UCONN earlier than The State article says.
Does it really matter to UConn when she commits? Unlike some programs, Geno seldom is near the 15-scholarship limit, so he will always have a scholarship or two for special cases like this one. She is ranked as the #1 or #2 2014 prospect in every ranking I've seen, she's very versatile so she could play many different positions, so I really don't see a downside to a late decision. Geno can just recruit as if she is not coming, and count it as a bonus if/when she commits to the Huskies. She should just be sure of where she wants to play, and if that takes until May, so be it.

Reaction Score
The problem with Wilson waiting till May lies with other recruits. White is being recruited by Tenn and I don't know if she would sign with them if she would be behind Wilson for 4 years, Russell for 3 and Graves & Harrison for 2. Will White be willing to also wait till May, when some of her other schools may be withdrawing their offer? I'm sure most of the schools recruiting Wilson have backup plans. How long will they wait. I suspect everyone would make room for her but only one school gets her so will other schools risk getting no one by waiting? Should be interesting.
My guess is that Wilson will tire of the daily questions and will decide by Thanksgiving. JMO

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Does it really matter to UConn when she commits? Unlike some programs, Geno seldom is near the 15-scholarship limit, so he will always have a scholarship or two for special cases like this one. She is ranked as the #1 or #2 2014 prospect in every ranking I've seen, she's very versatile so she could play many different positions, so I really don't see a downside to a late decision. Geno can just recruit as if she is not coming, and count it as a bonus if/when she commits to the Huskies. She should just be sure of where she wants to play, and if that takes until May, so be it.

Thank you for your logical contribution to the Boneyard.

That doesn't change the fact that I want your team to lose every ame except the Tennessee game next year.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The problem with Wilson waiting till May lies with other recruits. White is being recruited by Tenn and I don't know if she would sign with them if she would be behind Wilson for 4 years, Russell for 3 and Graves & Harrison for 2. Will White be willing to also wait till May, when some of her other schools may be withdrawing their offer? I'm sure most of the schools recruiting Wilson have backup plans. How long will they wait. I suspect everyone would make room for her but only one school gets her so will other schools risk getting no one by waiting? Should be interesting.
My guess is that Wilson will tire of the daily questions and will decide by Thanksgiving. JMO
I agree that A'ja's patient deliberation could interfere with the recruiting plans of other schools, but my comment was specific to UConn's POV. As for your comment that she may decide by Thanksgiving, that seems fairly probable. She may have just made the 'May' comment because she wants recruiters to give her some space to breathe. If people anticipate that she is nearing her decision, the frequency of questions will increase and the recruiting intensity will ramp up.

Reaction Score
So considering the source of her "pro uconn statements, should we disregard those comments as well being that they are coming from "pro husky" reporters? IJS

Reaction Score
So considering the source of her "pro uconn statements, should we disregard those comments as well being that they are coming from "pro husky" reporters? IJS

Can you please be a tad more specific? I'm not sure what direction you're seeking to go in.

Reaction Score
Sure... What I am saying is if you go back and look at all of A'ja Wilsons quotes they are pro uconn, given by our pro uconn writers. All I am saying is should we disregard those quotes as well, being who the source is. THE STATE happens to be the source for the latest article, and you said we should consider the source.....So maybe we should consider the sources in all the othet articles as well even the pro uconn ones!.
Can you please be a tad more specific? I'm not sure what direction you're seeking to go in.

Reaction Score
Sure... What I am saying is if you go back and look at all of A'ja Wilsons quotes they are pro uconn, given by our pro uconn writers. All I am saying is should we disregard those quotes as well, being who the source is. THE STATE happens to be the source for the latest article, and you said we should consider the source.....So maybe we should consider the sources in all the othet articles as well even the pro uconn ones!.

Yeah, I'll go along with the "consistency"
or goose/gander line of reasoning on this, as I think it useful to consider sources more or less always.

I thought you perhaps had a story or two in mind that you could serve up for consideration. Had you done that, it would have been easier to discuss.

Though a picture and not a written piece, there was that recent photo of the u19 3 amigos + A'ja that might have gotten picked up by the horde (from USA bb), that set hearts around here afflutter. I doubt that pic was featured much in SC, but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
or goose/gander line of reasoning on this, as I think it useful to consider sources more or less always.

I thought you perhaps had a story or two in mind that you could serve up for consideration. Had you done that, it would have been easier to discuss.

Though a picture and not a written piece, there was that recent photo of the u19 3 amigos + A'ja that might have gotten picked up by the horde (from USA bb), that set hearts around here afflutter. I doubt that pic was featured much in SC, but I could be wrong.

Ha ha ha. I'll bet that picture had as much chance of being in sc paper as a-rod putting mlb's charges against him in the NY Times. LOL

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I saw a pic of the 3 + B.Graves but don't recall the one with A'ja .....do you have a link?

Reaction Score
I saw a pic of the 3 + B.Graves but don't recall the one with A'ja .....do you have a link?

I don't have a link, but I saved the pic, that's for sure :)
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog